Worst NHL uniform matchup

Buffalo

For my money the worst uniform matchup in NHL history was the 2002 stanley cup finals. From the TV angle it looked the Hurricanes and Red Wings were playing an intersquad scrimmage.

Yeah, that's what happens when you have an owner from Detroit who wants to pretend he owns the Red Wings.

I don't mind Dallas' jerseys because they've been using that style in the NCAA for ages. All it needs is some green IMO

Yeah, all the Stars need to do is...wear their main team color...at...home?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Dallas' jerseys are worse than Buffalo's. Aside from the front numbers and the slug, I actually like Buffalo's jerseys. I'd like to see them do what the Islanders did back in the day, and just rip the slug logo off the front and slap on the good logo they use on their alternate.

I also used to hate the Stars home jerseys when they were first debuted. However I know feel that they are a real classy look and hope they stay with it. Although they need to bring the green back!

That boring alternate is another story ...

you mean the "alternate" they've worn more than their road this season?

5amlwx.jpg

It seems like ever since the RBK Edge uniforms were unveiled, the league's appearance has been getting more and more bleh. Some may disagree and say that it's been happening for a long time now. But, I actually enjoyed the 1990s uniforms, even then abstract ones. But, ever since the NHL "came back" in 2005, uniforms are getting uglier and uglier. My Ducks are no exception to this rule.

So you're telling me the Reebok Edge jerseys are uglier than such 90's hits as the Mighty Ducks duck jumping through the ice monstrosity, the Kings Burger King jerseys, the Islanders Fish Sticks, the Stars Mooterus, or that Calgary jersey with the horse?

I think the mid-90s were as bad as it could get, and if anything with the Islanders, Penguins, Oilers, and a few others bringing back their vintage look, the jerseys are getting better.

70389454.png

It seems like ever since the RBK Edge uniforms were unveiled, the league's appearance has been getting more and more bleh. Some may disagree and say that it's been happening for a long time now. But, I actually enjoyed the 1990s uniforms, even then abstract ones. But, ever since the NHL "came back" in 2005, uniforms are getting uglier and uglier. My Ducks are no exception to this rule.

So you're telling me the Reebok Edge jerseys are uglier than such 90's hits as the Mighty Ducks duck jumping through the ice monstrosity, the Kings Burger King jerseys, the Islanders Fish Sticks, the Stars Mooterus, or that Calgary jersey with the horse?

I think the mid-90s were as bad as it could get, and if anything with the Islanders, Penguins, Oilers, and a few others bringing back their vintage look, the jerseys are getting better.

Actually, yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. And to clear the record, the "Mooterus" and Oilers alternate jerseys were of this past decade. But, at least those uniforms from the 90s were creative in design. Now, I will agree with you on one thing, Dallas were out of their mind when they designed the "Mooterus" logo. I thought that was hideous as crap. But, as a Mighty Ducks fan, I LOVED the Wild Wing jersey. I thought the choice for fonts was a bit crappy, but the concept was alright. If you research the ideas behind the designs of those logos, they actually made plenty of sense.

These uniforms NOW look as if they have no value; most of them uninspired. I loved the 90s uniforms, so thats me. I've never been a fan of the RBK Edge switch. I had high hopes for it in the beginning, but now as I have seen where the designs are going, I'm not a fan. Sorry.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Deep question: if the Stars don't wear green at home anymore, can they still be said to be a "green" team the way the Leafs are a "blue" team?

Well, technically, they've never always been a "green" team.

thb_hatcher.JPG

These Stars sweaters were the WORST to try to read on TV or from the 300 section. Up close I like them (I would love then if they said "Minnesota"), but from a distance the green numbers disappeared into the overall black of the uniform. I think it would be interesting to see a team re-try something like this now that we have HD feeds; might not be as difficult to see on TV.

R

Deep question: if the Stars don't wear green at home anymore, can they still be said to be a "green" team the way the Leafs are a "blue" team?

Well, technically, they've never always been a "green" team.

thb_hatcher.JPG

These Stars sweaters were the WORST to try to read on TV or from the 300 section. Up close I like them (I would love then if they said "Minnesota"), but from a distance the green numbers disappeared into the overall black of the uniform. I think it would be interesting to see a team re-try something like this now that we have HD feeds; might not be as difficult to see on TV.

R

Really? The green looks rather bright in comparison with the white letter font. Maybe it's just the light in the photo. I liked these jerseys, too. One of my old fantasy club's uniforms were influenced by these.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I'm inclined to believe it's the light.

My point remains, though; even with those, you still have a green logo and green numbers. Now there's no green at all except for the primary logo on the shoulders. So the Stars now wear as much green at home as the Blackhawks do. Less, actually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm torn on Dallas and on Atlanta.

Dallas: Yes, it's a wordmark...but as stated it's done in an NCAA-hockey style, so it's not as bad. The original North Stars' look and logo was class...then morphed into the look which (basically) the wordmark replaced. However, that look seems somewhat dated to me. So it's a push.

ATL: Again, a push. They went from double blue, to just the crazy powder jerseys, to now emphasizing a red which has subtly been in their scheme all along, like if the Tennessee Titans had actually worn the fan jerseys. The bad news is that they look more like football jerseys. The good news? Well, they kinda look like football jerseys...and don't look terrible. Plus, that means they don't wear the name-down-the-arm powder blues. Just give them the old navy cyclone-bird and be done with it.

And I agree on the 90s versus EDGE argument. The 90s jerseys looked terrible, on occasion, but with character. Now, many of the bad jerseys in the league just look uninspired, flat, dull, and soulless. I'm not sure which is worse, to be honest. Though I do think NYI needs more Fishsticks. Take out the wonky waves and fix the numbers...that's a damned good set. Also, Buffalo's goat-head was decent too...miles beyond the Slug...

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived