2010 NCAA Lacrosse Changes

Waffles

College lacrosse season is just around the corner, and it's about time it had its own catch-all uniform thread.

Starting with the 2-time defending champions, my Syracuse Orange. Thankfully, they've gone back to the Syracuse basketball-inspired look and returned the wordmark to the chest from the waist.

-102602a70bafee02.jpg

Interestingly enough, the basketball jerseys say "ORANGE" on their white home jerseys and "SYRACUSE" on their orange road jerseys. I assume there's a different road/home white/dark convention in lacrosse that accounts for this?

Also, this being the first year of Big East lacrosse, I don't see any Big East branding on the uniform. To the best of my knowledge, all of the other SU teams have some kind of Big East logo somewhere on their uniforms.

College lacrosse season is just around the corner, and it's about time it had its own catch-all uniform thread.

Starting with the 2-time defending champions, my Syracuse Orange. Thankfully, they've gone back to the Syracuse basketball-inspired look and returned the wordmark to the chest from the waist.

Interestingly enough, the basketball jerseys say "ORANGE" on their white home jerseys and "SYRACUSE" on their orange road jerseys. I assume there's a different road/home white/dark convention in lacrosse that accounts for this?

Also, this being the first year of Big East lacrosse, I don't see any Big East branding on the uniform. To the best of my knowledge, all of the other SU teams have some kind of Big East logo somewhere on their uniforms.

In high school and college lacrosse, the home team is generally white. In the MLL (outdoor) and NLL (indoor) pro leagues, the home team wears the dark color.

Thanks for starting this thread, by the way. I'm interested to see what the new season brings....

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Thank you for starting this thread where if the majority of NCAA teams does what it did last year, in other words almost every school downgrading their looks, then I'm gonna go into a complete rage.

As for the Orange, well, an upgrade if you can call it that. At least they got rid of having "Syracuse" written below the numbers and removed the tramp stamp, however they still look way too plain, there's no navy on it, having the name "Orange" instead of "Syracuse" on the away jerseys is stupid, and the lack of stripes is bugging me too. If only they went back to the jerseys they wore in 2008, then I wouldn't be complaining.

And for the record, if you thought Nike sucks at football jerseys, wait till you see the lacrosse ones. They've screwed up Syracuse, Cornell (also victims to the tramp stamp), Virginia (orange homes jerseys and navy away? why?), and Hopkins (hello unnecessary addition of a black uniform, which they wear ironically against schools with black in their scheme such as Maryland and Princeton) in the past year, and I completely think they'll get worse. Add in what Warrior does with Princeton and Brine with Duke, and by god you'll see me going onto a complete rant by the time everyone's worn their jerseys at the end of February.

So sit back and enjoy me completely nitpicking almost every single uniform change in college lacrosse, because trust me, last year everything was a downgrade. However the following things would make me happy:

-Syracuse wears orange shorts with their home jerseys, that was the only thing that saved last year's set. Oh, and a navy alternate for when we play Virginia considering they love wearing their orange jerseys for home night games.

-Nike gets rid of all the tramp stamps

-Brine makes Duke's numbers not as large

-Warrior gets rid of Princeton's black on orange numbers. In fact, how about going back to black? Or even better, the Tigers scrapping Warrior altogether.

-UNC stops wearing their navy jerseys for virtually every ACC game

Yeah, doubt most of that will happen, but hey who says I can't hope for that?

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• 2 weeks later...

Duke wore those horrors last year too.

Hop, Cornell, Hofstra, UNC, Maryland, Ohio State, Navy, and SU all going to K18 pads.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=1&aid=115394&id=41720907283

Good catch, I didn't realize how the alternates were completely different with striping compared to the homes and aways I was basing it off of

ffMc5dZ.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some of the major changes seen already

Virginia Home/Away/Whatever they consider their orange jerseys

2466-6.jpg

Delaware I think has made a tweak

2465-8.jpg

Syracuse's new Home uniforms (holy crap stripes and more than just white and orange!)

2463-5.jpg

rp_primary_Jamieson_CodyDenver2010.jpg

Also for those of you who watched the game on ESPNU Friday, Hopkins stayed the same but Manhattan's jerseys are unreadable with the use of black numbers on a dark green jersey. Yikes.

Next weekend we should be able to see what Cornell, Hofstra, Princeton, and some of the other northeastern schools have up their sleeves in terms of new uniforms

ffMc5dZ.png

Some more updates today

Was watching the Hofstra-Princeton game today and they both broke out some new threads.

Hofstra removed the white stripes on the side to give it a more streamlined look this year and look sharp.

2471-7.jpg

As for Princeton, well...

2471-20.jpg

2471-24.jpg

2471-13.jpg (obligatory shoutout to a buddy of mine, #5 Jimmy Davis)

Can somebody please tell Warrior they're with a traditional lacrosse school in the Ivy League?

First off the stripes. What in god's name is going on with the pattern on the sides? Secondly, the numbers are a horrible font. I don't mind the switch to orange numerals and lettering with a black outline, because although that's similar to Syracuse this year that's consistent with their athletic program, but what is with the numerical font?

For the love of god, I don't see why Princeton doesn't just go with Nike like their other teams. The women's jerseys look about 30 times cleaner and better than the men's mess. I think we may have just found something to top Syracuse's 2009 jerseys as the "worst of the year", and we won't even get to see their away duds till next week, which quite frankly I'm afraid to see how those came out.

ffMc5dZ.png

It appears that Denver, Hofstra and UMBC are all wearing the same new UA template.

I agree with the comment about Princeton's new helmets looking better than the Venom model, but I think a white helmet with no contrasting visor or back stripe is kind of boring. It's interesting that the new helmets from Warrior (Denver, Princeton, Loyola and others) and Gait (Virginia) look A LOT like the Cascade Pro7 -- which is actually fine by me. I always thought Gait's previous models looked incredibly clunky.

It's funny, but even as an old school lax fan I have to say that I kind of like the new Princeton design. I agree that the font isn't great, but Warrior has been using slight variations of that same goofy font for years now...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Looks like UVA switched from Gait. Like the new jerseys too. Former ones were heavy, we wore the same ones in HS.

2010:

2466-18.jpg

2009:

http://www.lax.com/cimages/bigs/22/2287-105.jpg

You're absolutely right -- I hadn't looked closely enough at this year's Virginia pics. Their helmets look a lot like Cascades because they ARE Cascades! I was assuming they were still wearing the new Gait model they broke out against Cornel in the semis last year:

2009UVa-Cornell.jpg

I think UVa would like a lot better in navy helmets like they used to have, especially with the orange-on-orange road set shown above....

New unis for Penn State and Notre Dame. Looks like PSU is using the same Nike template as Virginia, and they've switched from blue to white helmets. The Irish are sporting a whole new template from Adidas.

2010PSU-ND_2.jpg

2010PSU-ND_1.jpg

Some more notes from this past weekend

-Maryland's more or less the same for their away jerseys

-Syracuse's away jerseys are the same as the first post, worn with all orange helmets

-Notre Dame's away look, looks like more piping than the home jerseys. Also note Loyola's with Under Armour now, too

2481-1.jpg

-Princeton's hopefully away, probably alternate black uniforms have a much better look than the home whites, even though it still has the bad number font. Not really feeling the white helmets going with it, though

2480-6.jpg

-Cornell's jerseys remain the same though they might have a new helmet pattern. Not too sure though because after last year's tournament I'm so used to seeing them in red. Also Army's got their new look and using Warrior Helmets as well

2482-6.jpg

ffMc5dZ.png

Archived