Lane Kiffin, cradle-robber?

Viper

David Sills is barely a teenager, and still a year or two away from playing high school football in Delaware, yet he's already on his way to Southern Cal.

Granted, this is only a verbal commitment, and both Lane Kiffin and Sills's family acknowledge nothing's set in stone, but does this move strike anyone else here as setting a very bad precedent for college athletic recruiting going forward?

CCSLC signature.png

Absolutely disgusting.

It's a good thing that it is in no way an NCAA violation...

No but it should be. It's simply pathetic. It's also the perfect example of how out of hand sports have gotten in this great nation. I'd be embarrassed to be a USC fan right now. There aren't too many things that would make me walk away from my alma mater but this would be one of them. If Ohio State ever pulled a stunt like this I'd start rooting for Michigan.

BB52Big.jpg

David Sills is barely a teenager, and still a year or two away from playing high school football in Delaware, yet he's already on his way to Southern Cal.

Granted, this is only a verbal commitment, and both Lane Kiffin and Sills's family acknowledge nothing's set in stone, but does this move strike anyone else here as setting a very bad precedent for college athletic recruiting going forward?

First, the story alludes to that it has already occurred in NCAA hoops. Kentucky (under Billy Gillespe) gave an offer to a 13 year old named Michael Avery in 2008.

Avery Commits to Kentucky

Second, Lane did this at Tennessee to one of Eric Berry's younger brothers (who are twins). The twin who is/was a running back verbally committed last year.

Also remember that these both of these coaches cannot initiate any contact with the prospective student-athlete, so all of this "dealmaking" is done by the tournament/camp directors, or coaches. The parent must then contact the coach and the coach is forbidden to call back. I should also note that Lane supposedly failed the compliance test at Tennessee even before his minor violations were committed.

Overlooked in all of this is the relationship between USC and Steve Clarkson, the operator of the Dreammaker QB Academy and the Super 7 retreat. Leinert and Matt Barkley each attended the camp and Leinert is an instructor (for the record, so is Joe Montana). It is the relationship which Kiffin may have with him is what should raise questions.

First, the story alludes to that it has already occurred in NCAA hoops. Kentucky (under Billy Gillespe) gave an offer to a 13 year old named Michael Avery in 2008.

Avery Commits to Kentucky

Second, Lane did this at Tennessee to one of Eric Berry's younger brothers (who are twins). The twin who is/was a running back verbally committed last year.

Also remember that these both of these coaches cannot initiate any contact with the prospective student-athlete, so all of this "dealmaking" is done by the tournament/camp directors, or coaches. The parent must then contact the coach and the coach is forbidden to call back. I should also note that Lane supposedly failed the compliance test at Tennessee even before his minor violations were committed.

Overlooked in all of this is the relationship between USC and Steve Clarkson, the operator of the Dreammaker QB Academy and the Super 7 retreat. Leinert and Matt Barkley each attended the camp and Leinert is an instructor (for the record, so is Joe Montana). It is the relationship which Kiffin may have with him is what should raise questions.

None of which makes this any less ridiculous.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived