Richmond's new arena & glimmer of hope

rvrdgsfn

I'd figured since most of us were talking about the new arena that is being built, here is an article from the groundbreaking on Wednesday.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/QUESGAT10_20100310-161601/329490/

They got us one team, now get us an NBDL & ECHL team!!!! Richmond can support sports.

Stop being a homer and give us the truth. NJTank and I differ on most issues, but $15M in federal dollars went to this project in January. WTF? If you don't want it then don't have all of us to pay for it!

SportsQuest mess

While they may be working very hard, a .biz address is still not looked as legit.

So, basically this SportsQuest Complex is being partially funded by the federal Stimulus Act? If that's so, I don't want any part of it. As great of an idea as it may be for a "new" arena to be built in the metropolitan area, we shouldn't be receiving federal aid for this project. I thought this guy who was putting this thing together had plenty of money to do so? I guess not if he has to have stimulus money to pay for a bit of it. I disapprove. I'll stick with the Raiders at the Richmond Coliseum.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

So, basically this SportsQuest Complex is being partially funded by the federal Stimulus Act? If that's so, I don't want any part of it. As great of an idea as it may be for a "new" arena to be built in the metropolitan area, we shouldn't be receiving federal aid for this project. I thought this guy who was putting this thing together had plenty of money to do so? I guess not if he has to have stimulus money to pay for a bit of it. I disapprove. I'll stick with the Raiders at the Richmond Coliseum.

Miles of federal funds could be used instead....Lovers like free money. Yet CCLSR have not loved the idea on the SCOPE or Virginia Coliseum.

Yes, I did my part.

Miles of federal funds could be used instead....Lovers like free money. Yet CCLSR have not loved the idea on the SCOPE or Virginia Coliseum.

Yes, I did my part.

...I'm not quite sure if I understand your tone. It sounds to me like you're downing Virginians for this.

Yes, I did my part.

...I'm not quite sure if I understand your tone. It sounds to me like you're downing Virginians for this.

What is new if it is not bigger. You have the SCOPE and other properties, which are nit big time. I only think about big time events; I am sorry.

So...I know we're on the soap box about federal spending and all that, but weren't a large number of stadia built under the New Deal?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, I did my part.

What is new if it is not bigger. You have the SCOPE and other properties, which are nit big time. I only think about big time events; I am sorry.

No harm no fail, I just didn't understand what you were saying. But, I agree with you. I would rather have something bigger than minor league. The only problem is trying to convince the major leagues that Virginia is a great place for it. Richmond, as much as I love this city I don't think can or will ever be a major league town. We had that status in the 70s with the Squires, but never since. Norfolk/Hampton Roads on the other hand have possibilities. I could see a brand new arena being built down there more than I do Richmond. But, they would need to bring in the potential buyer first and worry about those details bit by bit.

So...I know we're on the soap box about federal spending and all that, but weren't a large number of stadia built under the New Deal?

Maybe so. But, does that mean we should repeat history under the Stimulus Act?

Sure. Worked once, will work again.

Heh. I just can't see federal money going to something that SportsQuest and/or the fans who want the team paying the bill for.

Heh. I just can't see federal money going to something that SportsQuest and/or the fans who want the team paying the bill for.

When it creates jobs, I sure can.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's the important thing... although I would prefer to see new stadia being built for publicly funded high schools and colleges... particularly indoor arenas that can host non-sports events such as concerts and conventions. Then the athletic departments can be more self-sustaining and allow tax dollars to be used where they're needed more... and this is something that would continue long after the construction related jobs are no longer needed.

That's the important thing... although I would prefer to see new stadia being built for publicly funded high schools and colleges... particularly indoor arenas that can host non-sports events such as concerts and conventions. Then the athletic departments can be more self-sustaining and allow tax dollars to be used where they're needed more... and this is something that would continue long after the construction related jobs are no longer needed.

Exactly, I feel that using federal money for this arena, even IF it does create jobs doesn't need to be. My argument is that the man who wants this place built needs to come up with the money. I mean, no one said you can't get the general public to lend a hand in the funding, i.e. PSLs. I know that PSLs can seem like an unlikely thing to do in the case of minor league sports, but there's alot of Richmonders who would do this if they felt the team had a viable chance to stay. I just feel there are other options, even besides the PSL thing, that could help fund this arena/training facility.

Archived