Melbourne Rush

DeadFish

Supposedly we were going to find out in April the name of the Melbourne team in the new Australian Baseball League which starts later this year.

Well since that didn't happen I thought I'd play with a concept based on the name I suggested in the "Name the Team" contest. Melbourne as a city was very much built on the Gold Rush of the 1850's so I went with Melbourne Rush.

Colours would be Navy (the State's colour) and Gold.

C+C please

rush5.png

I think overall it's not too bad, but I think the dropshadow isn't needed on the wordmark, nor is the oval. Maybe put an outline of some sort around the wordmark as well as the miner, drop the oval, and i think it'll look alot better. Keep it up!

And i haven't heard any news about an Australian Baseball League - that sounds really cool! I honestly did enjoy watching the Australian national team during the past WBC. Hughes and Snelling are two darn good players.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

This looks pretty nice so far, but it looks too much like an illustration and not enough like a logo. Another thing that's bothering me: you have way too many colors right now (navy, vegas gold, darker vegas gold, yellow, gray, peach, brown, and light brown, not counting black and white.) Usually, a logo has 3 maybe 4 max, and I think if you cut down on the amount of different color here it would be a huge improvement.

Also, his left hand (our right) is disproportional to his right. Right now, I think it needs to be twice as bigger, and maybe give some more definition in the knuckle-area. The shading in the miner's left arm also makes it seem as if the arm is fractured, so most likely, the shading should probably be straight across.

Id suggest to make the gold more yellower to brighten it up a tad and maybe an outline on the wording. Id probably also change the name to Victoria as the state has greater historical links to the gold rush than the city does I guess, also find a way to bring the 'Melbourne' (or 'Victoria') into the logo a bit more. I like the idea.

They've been talking about the ABL for several years, its currently under the name of the Claxton Shield (an expanded comp in the last few years) and I believe next year they will go with the MLB backing and the ABL.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I know the name rush is for the gold rush, but still a name like that, especially when linked with sports, should imo convey some sort of movement, however small. Right now the logo is incredibly static. The miners just stood there and the ball is being held rather than thrown (or caught).

I'll be honest I cant stand the 3d lettering, it just adds unnecessary weight to an already static piece. The script itself is not bad, but I'd ditch the 3d it's not adding anything. The miner is pretty good, I'd look at simplifying him a little more in places and bulking up the outline here and there. Also CJ is spot on about the hand and his left arm they need looking at.

Good start but it needs more life about it, give it some energy and excitement, heck the wee guys just struck gold he should be jumping for joy! Find a way to do that and I think you could be onto something good.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Update after putting into play most of the above suggestions.

Enlarged and fixed up the arm, hopefully it works better now, it definitely wasn't right before.

Including black and white managed to cut down the colours to 6.

Changed the wordmark as per knnhrvy16 and Alphabet Man's suggestions, I think they were right, I'm happier with that.

I've kept the same gold colour for now as I was very much inspired by the colours on St Louis Rams latest logo, but certainly a change I'll consider.

Also fixed up the bat/pickaxe as I noticed the perspective was all screwed up.

rush6.png

@Alphabet Man - I'm near 100% certain that the new ABL team will be called Melbourne (though probably it won't be Rush!) so I'll stick with Melbourne Given that the Gold Rush really affected Melbourne itself I still think it works (it's poulation quadrupled in 3 years).

Keep those crits coming, I'm much happier with it now thanks to your input!

They will have to call it Melbourne. I think at the moment its the Victorian Aces. Surely they wont stick with the same name.

I just think the 'Melbourne' text is a little out of place at the top there. Maybe bring it to just above the 'Rush' text. maybe even drop the body and just have the axe and head and maybe the baseball.....just an idea....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Something about the gold on gold flashes (stars) doesn't work for me. White stars with gold outline, perhaps? And if it's navy you're going for, definitely need to darken your blues.

I know the name rush is for the gold rush, but still a name like that, especially when linked with sports, should imo convey some sort of movement, however small. Right now the logo is incredibly static. The miners just stood there and the ball is being held rather than thrown (or caught).

I'll be honest I cant stand the 3d lettering, it just adds unnecessary weight to an already static piece. The script itself is not bad, but I'd ditch the 3d it's not adding anything. The miner is pretty good, I'd look at simplifying him a little more in places and bulking up the outline here and there. Also CJ is spot on about the hand and his left arm they need looking at.

Good start but it needs more life about it, give it some energy and excitement, heck the wee guys just struck gold he should be jumping for joy! Find a way to do that and I think you could be onto something good.

Absolutely see where you are coming from re the static nature and lack of energy, but unfortunately I haven't really done anything to change that (besides a grin). I can't really think how to do that without virtually starting over (which I may try later). For now I'll keep tweaking this one.

What I have done:

Moved "Melbourne"

Reversed the stars

Navyed up the blue

Tweaked the script

Thickened up some lines

rush8.png

Archived