2010 World Cup Pick'Em

falcons007

Hey guys, so I didnt get much response from you guys about whether or not you would be interested in running one of these tournaments during the world cup next month. Nonetheless, I thought i'd give it a go and start a thread and see if this inclines anyone to have a go.

Again here are the rules

You pick the outcome of all the matches which take place during the world cup - this in turn will give your pick on who you expect to win each group and who will be the runner up.

Based on your picks you then go on and pick the winner of each of the matches during the knock-out phase of the world cup - eventually leading to your pick to win it all!

Here is how the scoring break down works

1 point for each correct game prediction (correct winner or correctly predicting a tie/draw)

4 points for picking group winner

2 point for picking second place finisher

1 point if your group winner finishes second

1 point if your second place finisher finishes first

2 points for each correct second round game pick.

4 points for each correct quarterfinal game pick.

8 points for each correct semifinal game pick.

8 points for correct third place game pick

16 points for correct finals outcome.

Your picks are due before the kickoff of the first game on June 11th between the hosts South Africa and Mexico. Each day during the world cup i will post each persons pick for that particular day so for those who are interested they can see how a particular outcome will effect the standings. At the end of each nights play I will post a up-to-date standings table to see who on top!

I ran one of these in 2006 and it was great fun!!!

From here on out, it is up to YOU to PM me your picks - that includes each game during the group stage

DO NOT POST YOUR CHOICES HERE...PM ME

Winner gets...I dunno...an emoticon thumbs up or something, let's just have fun with it.

Here is a list of the groups, you can find a schedule here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup#Matches).

Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France

Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, Greece, South Korea

Group C - England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

Group D - Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Group F - Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia

Group G - Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, North Korea

Group H - Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

The knock out phase follows the following format. Use this to assist you whilst making these picks to make sure you dont mess up and miss out on potential big points

Round of 16

Game 1 - A1 v B2 (A1 = your group A winner, B2 - your group B runner up)

Game 2 - C1 v D2

Game 3 - E1 v F2

Game 4 - G1 v H2

Game 5 - B1 v A2

Game 6 - D1 v C2

Game 7 - F1 v E2

Game 8 - H1 v G2

Quarters

Game 9 - Game 1 winner v Game 2 winner

Game 10 - Game 3 winner v Game 4 winner

Game 11 - Game 5 winner v Game 6 winner

Game 12 - Game 7 winner v Game 8 winner

Semis

Game 13 - Game 9 winner v Game 10 winner

Game 14 - Game 11 winner v Game 12 winner

third place game

loser of semis

finals

Game 13 v Game 14 winner

So get picking please!!!!!

like i said i did this before and it was very fun!!!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys, i have been getting picks in from a few of you which is great!!!! still about 3 weeks of so till the world cup so there is still time to get in your own picks - remember pick each game of the group stage to determine your group winner and runner up and then use these to predict your outcomes for the knock out phases.

for those of you who have sent me your picks a) thanks alot! and B) if you happen to change your mind on some picks then you can pm me - e.g. i can imagine some of you might not like germany as much after the ballack injury. you will be allowed to change any of your picks up until the first game, after which all picks will be locked.

when i make my own respective picks i will post them on this thread, just to make sure i dont cheat. lol.

keep the picks coming!!!

hey guys, just under three weeks till the tournament kicks off - so far there are 4 entrants including myself in this pick'em - it would be nice to have some more competition so keep the picks coming in. Still plenty of time to submit your picks. remember dont post them here - PM or mail them to me (ku_mistry@hotmail.com).

I also found this website - worldcupchart.com where you can put in your picks and it calculates the points and all that junk for you. So you can fill this out and then take a print screen of it and mail it to me - would probably be a quicker option :)

looking forward to seeing all your picks!!! mine are on the way soon.

You mean others can't submit their own spreadsheet? :P

Actually, I enjoyed putting time and effort into my World Cup picks.

LOL, others can submit there picks anyway they wish - i myself also enjoy making spreadsheets and what not - just thought that this might be an easier option for some - as picking each individual game during the group stage and then determining the group winner and runner-up (and if necessary who wins the tie-break) might be too tedious for some.

nonetheless - keep the picks coming

Hey guys, Friday is not too long away so be so to get your picks into me. And for those of you who have already submitted yours if you want to make any changes to them just let me know via a personal message.

On thursday I will be posted each participants group picks and picks for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Then as I said earlier each morning I will put up each persons picks for the respective games that day.

Should be an exciting tournament and takng part in this pickem should make things that much more interesting.

If you got any questions then please don't hesitate to ask. As you can probably imagine I am very keen to run this pickem and would like as many of you as possible to participate - the more the merrier.

Thanks.

hey guys, made my picks today - will have them posted on here on thursday/friday.

so far we have 5 participants including me - NEP, Billy B, Mindless and Limey. I really think we need some more of you to send me your picks so this competition can be a little more exciting. Judging by the amount of interest over on the World Cup thread, I am a bit surprised in the little feedback i have recieved, but you never know maybe you guys will be sending in your picks at the last minute.

How many of you are actually interested in taking part???

Quick Update on how we are shaping up

There is still time to submit your picks for those of you who have not done so - REMEMBER - submit picks for GROUP MATCHES as well as your predictions for the knockout phases.

Here is a list of everyone competing and if you have anything outstanding - remember you can still make any changes to your pre-existing picks - deadline is friday!

NEW.ERA - waiting on your updated group game picks all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

Billy B - all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

Mindless - all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted - Changes noted

Limey - all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

Sizemore - all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

MattF - all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

NJTank - waiting on your final prediction for the third place game - other than that you too are all set. all set - PM if you have any changes to what you submitted

Don - need your group game picks!!!!!

TFoA - need your group game picks!!!!

Everyone else - Get your picks in!!!!

Thats all for now

TOURNAMENT KICKS OFF TOMORROW!!!!

last chance to get your picks in or make any changes to your pre-existing picks.

will post my picks as well as everyone else picks for 1st, 2nd and 3rd later tonight.

I hope you are all as excited as i am

Falcons007 2010 World Cup Picks

Group A

Mexico over SA

Uruguay over France

SA draws Uruguay

France draw Mexico

Mexico over Uruguay

SA over France

Winners - Mexico

Runners-up - South Africa

Group B