Limey's World Cup soccer kit concepts

lost_limey

As I've enjoyed fiddling around making a couple of soccer concepts recently for Oxford United, and the United States Mens National Team, I decided to carry on with the soccer bug, especially as it's suddenly in vogue on these very boards (must be some big soccer thing coming up, any idea what?).

Unlike a couple of other people here, I'm not sure I'm crazy enough to go for all 32 teams (we shall see), so I decided against that. I'm also sick of seeing US concepts (despite contributing to the glut) so, as a change of pace, I present to you, the Bafana Bafana! (That's South Africa, the host nation for the World Cup, for those of you unfamilair wiht the soccer nickname lexicon)

BafanaBafana.png

Changes

* Darkened the Green & Yellow to the shades on the South African flag

* Increased the prominence of the Protea logo by adding it to the shorts

* Tried to echo the flag design with the traditional Adidas 3-striping (The white-green-white on the home and the yellow-black-yellow on the clash are based on the flag)

* Switched out the sublimated 'Y' pattern for a sublimated Protea design (it's clearer on the home kits, but it is there on the clash)

* Added a 'Bafana Bafana' script to the rear jersey hem

Your c&c is welcomed, indeed expected.

Pretty nice, sexy looking kits. The top of the back is looking a bit cramped, just move the player name down a bit at least. Bafana Bafana wouldn't be able to be seen really since most shirts are tucked in, so a different place might be better.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Thanks for the feedback chestnutz. The backs do look cramped. Probably a consequence of my decision to throw the flag in as a last minute change. I shall be modifying the positioning of the player name, and also of the Bafana Bafana script at some point, probably lowering one, and raising the other. As it's 3:48AM right now, though. The changes are gonna wait till I awaken in the morning.

I love the trend of seeing so many football concepts in the last couple of days :D

I think you did a nice job here. The Bafana Bafana script is a nice detail for fan shirts. There's only one thing I'd change, which is give the logo some outline. It gets lost somehow.

Other than that, it's really nice!

Lose the flags on the back of the jerseys and darken the sublimated logo on the clash so it's more noticeable and it's pretty close to perfection. The country logo on the shorts looks a bit awkward up at top. Maybe try it above the Adidas logo, or drop the numbers and move it over to the right? I generally hate Green and Yellow football tops (Rangers supporter), but this is total class.

Edit: On second thought, I don't think you even need the country logo on the shorts, it just looks a bit cluttered.

The clash kit is perfect. I absolutely can imagine Mexico wearing something like it. I'm not so sure about the home kit though. I like the idea, but it looks like it's missing something the way it it. Also I think it's a bit much to have adidas stripes on the arm AND on the chest. I think you'd do well if you'd use the same striping as on the clash kit, just change the colors.

Glad you like the clash, KaTo (but let's face it, anything's better than the all black they have now).

The 'adidas striping,' on the chest as you call it is actually a throwback to one of Nike's previous Mexico kits which had a chevron on the home. I figured that if adidas would re-institute the chevron, they would present it as the three stripes. I do like the cash better, but I was trying to move away from something in my concepts where the home and clash are merely recolors of each other.

I agree that the home needs something on the shirt. I have a tiny bit of Aztec detail in the 'chevron' and I think it needs more detail on that, or perhaps have the inverse of having the aztec detail on the shirt and not on the 'chevron.'

Okay, I see what you're getting at. Though I think you should get rid of the three stripes on the front. Make it a "real chevron", give it this sublimated Atztec texture and you have a winner. Just me though.

Yeah, that's good. I just think the chevron should be expanded to the entire front jersey up to the sleeves. Just look wrong somehow, as it is now. Other than that, it's perfect!

Yeah, perhaps the chevron could have been bigger. Anyway, onward to the next set

URUGUAY

These are deliberately simple and retro-inspired. I've modeled them after the 1930 home kits as seen in this photo:

1930_uruguay.JPG

Seeing as how it's the 80th anniversary of them winning that iteration of the world cup. I have added chest numbers, shorts numbers and player names, as these are now mandated by FIFA. I also assumed that manufacturer branding would be unavoidable. The name/number stuff is a bit choppy as I don't have a .svg or high resolution png of the current Puma fonts to work with.

Uruguay.png

Oh, almost forgot, I switched 2 of the stars on Uruguay's crest out for the Olympic rings, as it's always bugged me that they've won 2 World Cups but displayed 4 victory stars.

Going by wiki, FIFA recognises them as the first two professional soccer world championships, as distinct from world cups. Anyway, I thought it added interest to the crest adding the rings there. I could easily switch back to the stars, and to be honest, it's not like you can really make them out in any detail at this magnification anyhow.

Little disappointed to get no comments on the Uruguay design. Perhaps it was too simple. Or perhaps so perfect as to defy the need for c& C. Probably the former.

No matter, I'll carry on with the 4th international team concept. This team it's Les Blues themselves, France:

LesBleus.png

The home kits are an homage to the 1998 kit that France wore in the World Cup that they won on home soil. The clash kit is close to what they were now, but I happen to like the stark white with pinstripes look so I just went with it.

Thoughts and c&c on France, Uruguay or the prior kits would be much appreciated.

No interest/comments on France?

Maybe ARGENTINA will generate a response or two

Albiceleste.png

Being Argentina, the home colors are iconic, with sky blue and white striped shirts, black shorts and white socks being the order of the day. I've obviously kept to that, but I really like the use of laurels on the crest, so I've used those laurels as a subtle pattern within the white stripes. Originally I was going to use the laurels as the actual white stripe, but I erred on the side of conservatism and kept the more traditional striping pattern. I did go ahead and use the laurels as faded 'stripes' on the clash kit to echo the so-called 'ghost stripes' on the kit that the Albiceleste currently use.

I removed the Adidas 3-stripe from the shoulders of the jersey, partly because I've never been a fan, and partly because I felt the 3 sky blue stripes that comprise the body of the shirt work as an adequate substitute.

For the clash I went with a royal/white/royal kit as it's similar to what Argentina currently wear as their alternate, and partly because I like the combination of royal blue and white together.

As ever c & c is welcomed.

Little disappointed to get no comments on the Uruguay design. Perhaps it was too simple. Or perhaps so perfect as to defy the need for c& C. Probably the former.

No matter, I'll carry on with the 4th international team concept. This team it's Les Blues themselves, France:

LesBleus.png

The home kits are an homage to the 1998 kit that France wore in the World Cup that they won on home soil. The clash kit is close to what they were now, but I happen to like the stark white with pinstripes look so I just went with it.

Thoughts and c&c on France, Uruguay or the prior kits would be much appreciated.

Handball???!! :lol:

Nice homage to the 98' kits for the home kits, the only thing i would change for the home kits is no wraparound stripes in the back. And very classy road kits.

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

Archived