Nebraska Concepts

pianoknight

So this is really one of my first uniform concepts. I used a template, but made several small changes to keep the tradition of the NU uniforms while updating them for a new decade. And before someone accuses me of jumping on the blackout bandwagon, I've felt that NU should have an all-black option for special occasions for several years now.

-fixed the helmet "N" to match the school logo

-updated pants with an "N" on side stripe

-added "HUSKERS" font to front of uniform

-black outs have both red and white striping

neb.png

C&C please, and again it's my first.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

These are just ok in my opinion. Not much change on the regulars, the N in the stripe is kinda cool but it's on the front of the pants now. If you are going to do a wordmark on the front, try "cornhuskers". Whatever happened to that nickname?

A resounding NO on the blacks. NU is Scarlet and Cream, not Scarlet and Cream and Black. It's too Louisville-ish. A patch or helmet decal to signify Blackshirts is enough.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I think it would be cool if you added a white outline to the N on the black helmet, maybe with a black stroke in between. I don't know if this is blasphemous to Husker fans, but I think it would make the logo pop and look really sharp. Good job and welcome to the boards!

bullssig.png

I think it would be cool if you added a white outline to the N on the black helmet, maybe with a black stroke in between. I don't know if this is blasphemous to Husker fans, but I think it would make the logo pop and look really sharp. Good job and welcome to the boards!

Thank you! I've been playing with a true "Scarlet and Cream" color scheme and I'm still tweaking my all-blacks, but I can't seem to get them right. For now, here are the revised versions of the home and away.

UPDATES

-piping and mesh streamlined around abdomen section to reduce clutter.

-"HUSKER" wordmark replaced with "CORNHUSKERS" on homes and "NEBRASKA" on aways, kinda like how MLB uniforms are.

-pant striping tweaked to get a little more "motion."

-Skull patch added to left front thigh. NOTE - this would be a Blackshirts patch, awarded only to defensive starters who earn their blackshirt status. It could also be added to the occasional special teams player, like K/P Alex Henery who earned an honorary blackshirt last year for his clutch punts (he downed 30!!! punts inside opponent's 20yd line last year).neb2.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Like the "Cornhuskers" wordmark a lot more than the "Huskers". Looks good, and like the "Nebraska" mark for the roads. Not sure I have seen a college team do this, so that's cool. Not feeling the skull and crossbones on the pants, I think you could pull it off but only as a sticker on the back of the helmet IMO. I know this is your concept and you may not want it, but remember back in the 80's when NU had red belts in the white pants white belts in the red pants? I loved that look.

All in all like the updates. I agree (even though I am opposed to black uni's for NU) that the red numbers and wordmark etc need some white piping to make them pop.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Thanks for the feedback! I totally forgot the alternating belt colors, but yes, that needs to be part of the NU scheme.

I've also added the back of the helmet. Nebraska's helmet backs currently have the player number and an offset American flag. Interestingly enough, blackshirt players ALREADY have a small red dot on the black of the helmet, opposite the US Flag. I've just modified this to be the skull and bones logo instead of a dot.

I'm glad that you liked the idea of using both CORNHUSKERS and NEBRASKA on the homes and aways. I thought it was a nifty idea and I think it'd be cool to see NCAA teams somewhat borrow this element from MLB.

UPDATES

-changed the belt colors on both homes/aways (other than that, aways are the same)

-added more "mesh" around the wordmark on the homes

-added trimlines around the numbers on the homes

neb3.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

Pretty solid, I like it. I don't mind the pants stripe either way, the update gives it somewhat of a contemporary feel without losing the tradition so I like it. As to C Jay Z's point on striping consistency, I think I would prefer single stripes on the pant and jersey before double striping on the helmet. But I really don't think there needs to be a change to what you have.

As you stated in a post back, that you were working with a true Scarlet and Cream color scheme I would be interested in seeing what you have worked up for that as I would really like to see NU go with more of a cream color than straight white.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

As you stated in a post back, that you were working with a true Scarlet and Cream color scheme I would be interested in seeing what you have worked up for that as I would really like to see NU go with more of a cream color than straight white.

The problem I'm running into is balancing cream versus white. The reason is because the cream looks too dull against reds, scarlet, cardinal, etc. In other words, the white really helps sharpen things up.

The other part of the problem is that white and cream are visually too close, so trying to use them together really makes it tough from a color balancing perspective. A simple recolor doesn't look too horrible- just subbing cream for white- but what I'm really trying to get is a little bit of a retro or throwback flair with the cream since it really harkens back to the original color scheme of the school.

I should hopefully have some posts soon.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Sorry this is a little off-topic, but Impaler - do you also post at the Huskermax BBS? I've noticed your screen name there for a while. I've checked it pretty regularly for years, but I haven't ever coughed up the $20 to register.

Also - your sig over there mentions Eugene? Are you anywhere close to the UO? I moved out to Oregon a few years ago.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Sorry this is a little off-topic, but Impaler - do you also post at the Huskermax BBS? I've noticed your screen name there for a while. I've checked it pretty regularly for years, but I haven't ever coughed up the $20 to register.

Also - your sig over there mentions Eugene? Are you anywhere close to the UO? I moved out to Oregon a few years ago.

Yessir, that is me!! I lived in Eugene for a year but am in Fort Worth, TX now. Where are you at in Oregon? Beautiful area, miss it a lot!!

Cough up the $20 for Huskermax, it's worth it!!

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Nebraska is one of the few teams in sports that I would say a BFBS uniform would work for. The Huskers' shade of red just really pops on a black background. Other than that, all the uniforms look really nice and I liked the pants striping from your first post better.

BFBS? Sorry if this is a stupid question

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Black For Black's Sake.... basically, a black uniform is called BFBS if the team doesn't have black in their color scheme.

Yeah, and not to beat a dead horse, but I know I've mentioned the Blackshirts more than once. BFBS is definitely overblown, but for crying out loud, the defensive starters all wear black jerseys to practice and usually under their uniforms for games. And black was part of the uniforms, at least part of the helmets to a small degree.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Black For Black's Sake.... basically, a black uniform is called BFBS if the team doesn't have black in their color scheme.

Yeah, and not to beat a dead horse, but I know I've mentioned the Blackshirts more than once. BFBS is definitely overblown, but for crying out loud, the defensive starters all wear black jerseys to practice and usually under their uniforms for games. And black was part of the uniforms, at least part of the helmets to a small degree.

Not to beat a dead horse here either, but I think when you give NU a set of the blacks, it diminishes the fact that this is reserved for the defensive starters. If the whole team is wearing black, it loses some of that specialness for the guys on D that have earned it over time. Some color schemes are just great without black, and NU is one of those.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse here either, but I think when you give NU a set of the blacks, it diminishes the fact that this is reserved for the defensive starters. If the whole team is wearing black, it loses some of that specialness for the guys on D that have earned it over time. Some color schemes are just great without black, and NU is one of those.

Good point about diminishing the elite honor that this brings a defensive starter. From that perspective, I'm almost ready to ditch black entirely. I believe Nebraska actually used to have helmet stickers a la Ohio State, but they ditched them decades ago. I'm curious what everyone thinks about having the Skull-N-Bones as a helmet sticker for defenders? Maybe for sacks or interceptions?

UyDgMWP.jpg

That template looks strangely familiar. :grin:

Good to see someone else putting it to use. I'll be sure to let you know if I make any significant changes to it. However, technically, that template is the Nike Pro Combat uniform, and Nebraska is an Adidas school.

Also, the checkered pattern is supposed to be mesh, so it should be the main color outlined by the secondary color. If the mesh is going to be red, use the red and outline it in the darker red.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Good point about diminishing the elite honor that this brings a defensive starter. From that perspective, I'm almost ready to ditch black entirely. I believe Nebraska actually used to have helmet stickers a la Ohio State, but they ditched them decades ago. I'm curious what everyone thinks about having the Skull-N-Bones as a helmet sticker for defenders? Maybe for sacks or interceptions?

You know, one of my biggest complaints on this board is when people criticize someones concept for trying to break tradition and do something different, and that's exactly what I have done with the black uniform set. I say still work up the concept, I personally wouldn't want to see NU in these, but for a concept why not. You see this a lot with traditional teams, ala Dallas etc. On the blacks, maybe try to work in a little more red IMO. I don't know if that's in red helmets or pants or what not.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Archived