Nebraska Concepts

pianoknight

You know, one of my biggest complaints on this board is when people criticize someones concept for trying to break tradition and do something different, and that's exactly what I have done with the black uniform set. I say still work up the concept, I personally wouldn't want to see NU in these, but for a concept why not. You see this a lot with traditional teams, ala Dallas etc. On the blacks, maybe try to work in a little more red IMO. I don't know if that's in red helmets or pants or what not.

I suppose that a concept can be something completely outlandish or crazy, although I try to keep my concepts to something that a team would actually use someday. I like the idea of "pride" or helmet stickers, but I don't like how Ohio State helmets are completely cluttered looking. I think that if NU used a helmet sticker, it should ONLY be for true Blackshirt players (not just any defender), and each sticker should represent a series or group of achievements, like 5 sacks = 1 sticker.

Kevin, I'm sorry I didn't realize that I was borrowing something you created. I just did a Google Image search for football templates and I believe it was your Arizona one that came up. And yeah, I got that the checkered pattern is supposed to be mesh, although I purposely wanted red mesh on the aways. I also realize that this is a pro combat template and we're an Adidas school, but I'm not really too concerned with the exact specifications. In my mind, this is more of a mock up that somebody could truly bring to life one day.

Oh, I DID actually draw the back of the helmet myself, so feel free to add that to your template if you like.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Kevin, I'm sorry I didn't realize that I was borrowing something you created. I just did a Google Image search for football templates and I believe it was your Arizona one that came up. And yeah, I got that the checkered pattern is supposed to be mesh, although I purposely wanted red mesh on the aways. I also realize that this is a pro combat template and we're an Adidas school, but I'm not really too concerned with the exact specifications. In my mind, this is more of a mock up that somebody could truly bring to life one day.

Oh, I DID actually draw the back of the helmet myself, so feel free to add that to your template if you like.

Oh, no, I'm not offended that you're using my template. I'm happy that someone else is putting it to good use.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You know, one of my biggest complaints on this board is when people criticize someones concept for trying to break tradition and do something different, and that's exactly what I have done with the black uniform set. I say still work up the concept, I personally wouldn't want to see NU in these, but for a concept why not. You see this a lot with traditional teams, ala Dallas etc. On the blacks, maybe try to work in a little more red IMO. I don't know if that's in red helmets or pants or what not.

I suppose that a concept can be something completely outlandish or crazy, although I try to keep my concepts to something that a team would actually use someday. I like the idea of "pride" or helmet stickers, but I don't like how Ohio State helmets are completely cluttered looking. I think that if NU used a helmet sticker, it should ONLY be for true Blackshirt players (not just any defender), and each sticker should represent a series or group of achievements, like 5 sacks = 1 sticker.

Well, in that case, ditch the blacks!! :P But seriously, I like the idea of pride stickers, it is a uniquely college thing (maybe hs too, but not pro). I could see NU's helmets maybe getting a little cluttered with the stripe and the N so you are probably onto something with getting pride stickers for a series of events, or maybe an outstanding game. I have often wondered what that would be for the huskers, a little N maybe? Or a red corncob and husk? Don't know what any of this would look like.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Well, in that case, ditch the blacks!! :P But seriously, I like the idea of pride stickers, it is a uniquely college thing (maybe hs too, but not pro). I could see NU's helmets maybe getting a little cluttered with the stripe and the N so you are probably onto something with getting pride stickers for a series of events, or maybe an outstanding game. I have often wondered what that would be for the huskers, a little N maybe? Or a red corncob and husk? Don't know what any of this would look like.

Originally I was thinking that it would be a defensive pride sticker only; just the Skull-N-Bones logo for Blackshirts. Actually I just thought of this. What about a "ranking" system? Like how martial arts use different colored belts? Or military members have patches? But instead of colors, it could be number of stickers. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking:

Level 10 would be the highest rank. Each player starts with zero stickers, and after they have an amazing performance, coaches and players can nominate or vote to promote them. A great example would be the Baylor game last year where Jared Crick got 5 solo sacks. Or when Alex Henery nailed that clutch 57 yard field goal against Colorado? For a game like that, you'd get promoted to the next sticker/level...?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Originally I was thinking that it would be a defensive pride sticker only; just the Skull-N-Bones logo for Blackshirts. Actually I just thought of this. What about a "ranking" system? Like how martial arts use different colored belts? Or military members have patches? But instead of colors, it could be number of stickers. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking:

Level 10 would be the highest rank. Each player starts with zero stickers, and after they have an amazing performance, coaches and players can nominate or vote to promote them. A great example would be the Baylor game last year where Jared Crick got 5 solo sacks. Or when Alex Henery nailed that clutch 57 yard field goal against Colorado? For a game like that, you'd get promoted to the next sticker/level...?

Not a bad idea. What are you thinking of for the sticker? Skull and bones would be out if it's for the whole team.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Not a bad idea. What are you thinking of for the sticker? Skull and bones would be out if it's for the whole team.

Working on the sticker, I think it will probably be some type of corn cob. But in the meantime, here's the newest update to my uniforms.

UPDATES:

-kept home and away uniforms, made some very tiny tweaks

-added black alt. jersey using WHITE pants with black accent rather than all-blacks

-created "True Scarlet and Cream" jerseys as a throwback. These use the original "Bugeaters" team name and the back of the helmet has 1890-2010, commemorating the 120 years of Nebraska football. Also used the older non-serif "NU" workmark instead of the simpler, newer "N".

C&C please!neb4.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

I'm gonna have to echo what others have said about the black alternate. It's great to see just for a concept, but on the field it would definitely diminish to whole idea about working hard to earn a blackshirt. Other than that, I would not mind this at all for the Huskers.

BTW, the Bugeaters alterante is really neat! I've always wanted them to do something like that. Although IMO you should make it more of a cream color--right now it looks a little yellowish. But overall, nice work.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Have to echo what CAB said, definitely need to tone down the cream, as it is now it's way too yellow. I really like the throwback wordmark and as a whole I really like the striping pattern as well, my only complaint, and it is minor, is that it almost seems too modern to be a 1800's style throwback. I could be completely wrong on this, but that's just the impression I get. With that being said though, I really do like it. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing the throwbacks (cream toned down, red pants on away, and N on helmet) as the main set. Really like the number font as well.

Now, if you could just clean up the travesty that is usually NU's basketball uniforms!!

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I really like the throwbacks. All of them look good, great job

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in response. I've changed the cream to more of an off-white than yellow. The monitor I was working on originally didn't really register it as that yellow but when I saw it on my desktop I thought immediately of custard.

Shouldn't be too much longer. Also working up some helmet stickers and criteria.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Here's the uniform UPDATES!

-Minor tweaks to Home, Away and Alt.

-Toned down the yellow custard color; again I think that was a monitor issue on my part. It didn't look nearly so bad when I designed it.

-Reworked the throwback jerseys to include a more 1890's look, mainly by adding sublimated vertical chest striping.

neb5.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

HELMET STICKERS ARE HERE!

Nebraska was a hard school to conceptualize this for. Helmet stickers are such a divisive idea within college football that I wanted to really balance two objectives. First, give NU some more formalized methods for recognizing players with a visible indicator that even casual fans could pick up on and see which players are truly accomplished. Secondly, I wanted to keep the "helmet whoring" to a minimum. I've seen Ohio State players with so many stickers they start paving a second layer on the helmet.

So, what I've done is actually devise a rank system. Starting with just a blank helmet, there are eight total ranks; which are divided into two classes. Players move through the ranks after having a stellar game, in whatever fashion that relates to your position on the team. I've mentioned it before, but here are some examples:

-Alex Henery (K) nailed 57 yard FG to beat Colorado

-Jared Crick (DT) racked up something like 6 or 7 sacks against Baylor

-Niles Paul (WR) ran up, over and across Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, including an 84 yard TD catch

It's all based on how you perform your "required duties." There would be an informal vote by coaches and players.

Finally, there are the two classes of ranks. To move into ranks 5-8, you need to have started at least one game. By doing this, we reserve the higher ranks for players who are starters, but by requiring a player to only have started ONE game, you also allow some key reserves to move up as well. Most often this would probably apply to a backup QB who came in to salvage some tough games while the starter was injured.

Onto the concept! I settled on using a military style design center around, what else? A corncob.

helmet.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

Really neat idea you got here. It seems like you thought it out very well and came up with something realistic that the Huskers could definitely use in real life.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Liking the idea but the color is throwing me. I think (and it sounds weird) that the corn should be red and white, with the husk red and actual kernals white. ON a black background. I just think the green, yellow, and silver are too much.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Liking the idea but the color is throwing me. I think (and it sounds weird) that the corn should be red and white, with the husk red and actual kernals white. ON a black background. I just think the green, yellow, and silver are too much.

Yeah, I thought about that and wrestled back and forth for a while with the color scheme. I wanted to make sure it stands out.

OOOHHHH I just thought of something... what about making the "corn badge" a true SCARLET and CREAM?!

UyDgMWP.jpg

Yeah, I thought about that and wrestled back and forth for a while with the color scheme. I wanted to make sure it stands out.

OOOHHHH I just thought of something... what about making the "corn badge" a true SCARLET and CREAM?!

Sounds like a winner.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Archived