Miami Dolphins... or Miami Mahi-Mahi?

B-Rich

Caught this over on Uni-Watch, in the Collector's Corner section put together by Brinke Guthrie. Apparently on Ebay, someone is selling this "vintage 1960s Miami Dolphins" pennant:

Dolphins.jpg

That's definitely a dolphin fish, not the mammal, also know as mahi-mahi (or a "wahoo", 'round these parts).

I've got to wonder -- what's the story behind that? It is really bizarre... Was it made in the early period of name and logo development, and someone thought they would use the dolphin fish rather than the dolphin mammal?

I'd imagine if so it was done unlicensed... the aqua looks correct, but there is no orange... also no NFL logo or trademark.

Or is it a joke someone put together later?

I'm surmising it was a cheap knockoff someone in Miami printed up for local sales soon after the team name (and perhaps colors) were announced, but prior to the logo and "official" merchandise coming out.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

It is what it is.

It's a Dolphin Fish

mahi1.jpg

That's one ugly fish.

Hm, I happen to think it's one of the most beautiful in the ocean...especially when you first catch the glimpse of one on the end of your line. Taste really good, too.

That's definitely a dolphin fish, not the mammal, also know as mahi-mahi (or a "wahoo", 'round these parts).

A dolphin is definitely not a wahoo...completely two different fish.

yeah, I was going to point that out as well. The rule when it comes to this fish is...it's a dolphin in Floirda, mahi-mahi in Hawaii and dorado in California.

FSU2.gif

A dolphin is definitely not a wahoo...completely two different fish.

yeah, I was going to point that out as well. The rule when it comes to this fish is...it's a dolphin in Floirda, mahi-mahi in Hawaii and dorado in California.

Oops. You're both right. Shows how much fish I catch, can't tell the difference between Wahoo and dolphin... :wacko:

It is what it is.

Archived