NFL Logo Critique - 32 Teams in 100 Days

Master Amino

Since the NFL season kicks off tonight (go Vikes!), I thought it'd be cool to have a logo critique for each team in the league. We could switch to a new team every 3 days.

So...critique the main logo first, and then critique as many other logos as you want under that same team. Alternate's, retro, script logos, etc.

885.gif

click for full image

- This logo, to date, has stood the test of time and seems to be generally liked by many.

- I'm very pleased with the way the hair strands and facial structure were defined.

- Has enough elements to not be too plain, and certainly isn't too busy looking.

- Definitely fits within the "Black and Blue Division" moniker. The only team in the division that really doesn't is Detroit imo. Not anymore, anyway.

Dislikes:

- Seems to be a little too much gold. Hair's gold, mustache is gold, eyebrows are gold, helmet's gold...

- The stroke of his jawbone extends into the hair a little bit.

- Might be nitpicking with this one...but sometimes I don't like how far back his hair goes or how pointy it is...and thus creating a lot of empty space within the tip of the hair and the braids.

- It's hard to envision how exactly this head would be put on a body (not that it needs to be, though...). Every time I do, I see a hunchback or "turtle neck" viking...

Additional Comments/Suggestions for Improvement:

- Has a classic look to it and doesn't need upgrading imo. Not yet, anyway. If they did someday, maybe they'd want to simply mess around with adjusting the color scheme a little bit first. Also wouldn't mind if they changed the logo to duplicate Favre's profile.... ;D

4qsdfvqw9p4aqiy79ebr.gif

click for full image

Overall Feelings:

I really have no beef with it other than I can't help but think it's a little too, "Texas" for my liking. For instance, put it side by side with the Texans logo...

570.gif4qsdfvqw9p4aqiy79ebr.gif

Reminds me too much of a bull or something.

HybridLogos-NBA-Timberwolves.png?t=1336836952

Sorry, but I hope you're disappointed tonight. :P

As for the Vikes' logos, secondary first, I found it funny you said the 'V' looks like a bull. That seems logical somehow because they both have horns. I think it's a pretty strong mark personally.

I'm indifferent really to the primary. It's okay and I agree for the most part with your analysis of it, especially it having too much gold. Just make his helmet purple with the white horns, that way it'd look like their helmets.

This did bring to mind the following question: where does the modern perception of what vikings looked like come from? Is there artwork, or maybe artifacts (like helmets etc.) that give an idea? How do we even know they wore horns on their helmets and so on?

For the record, I think Minnesota's helmets are among the best in the league. From the neck down, they're a train wreck.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The Vikes' primary kind of occupies a strange place because it's not on the jerseys anymore, nor was it ever on the helmet. I think the helmet horn as their primary these days, since it seems to be used as such more often in media contexts. Not living in the TCs, I can't vouch for the exposure of the actual primary, of course.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my opinion, the logo is classic. It has remained generally unchanged for their entire history. Only a handful of pro sports franchises can say that. I think it will get an upgrade, but not anytime soon. I'm just a biased opinion, though. It's interesting to hear non-Minnesotans' takes on the logo.

The Vikes' primary kind of occupies a strange place because it's not on the jerseys anymore, nor was it ever on the helmet. I think the helmet horn as their primary these days, since it seems to be used as such more often in media contexts. Not living in the TCs, I can't vouch for the exposure of the actual primary, of course.

Well, actually, it IS still on the jerseys... above the NOB. Also, its now on the hips of the pants, too, so really it appears in more places on the uniform than before.

God, Norwegians aren't that white.

Well played. :D

Seriously, though, I don't see the point of using a flesh tone in the logo when it's nowhere to be found in the color scheme. I hate it when teams use random colors in their logo and nowhere else. Therefore, I went with white instead since at least they have a white uniform.

And nobody noticed that I used the actual horn from the helmet for once? That's another thing that's consistently bugged me about their primary, they don't use those horns on the helmet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

And nobody noticed that I used the actual horn from the helmet for once? That's another thing that's consistently bugged me about their primary, they don't use those horns on the helmet.

That was one of the first things I noticed. Well played. That part looked good imo.

Honestly, I like the Viking man the more I look at him. There's a lot of charm in that drawing. I did try to update this logo a while back, but I don't think I ever posted it on here. One thing the Vikes need to do is get rid of the black outline on the helmet logo. I made a purple version to match the helmet logo sans outline:

vikings.png

As for the 'V' logo, shouldn't the thick part of the letter be on the right? It would make more sense to me, given the apparent 'perspective' the logo seems to be implying.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, your update sure put mine to shame, but where's the other horn?

Behind the first horn.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly, I like the Viking man the more I look at him. There's a lot of charm in that drawing. I did try to update this logo a while back, but I don't think I ever posted it on here. One thing the Vikes need to do is get rid of the black outline on the helmet logo. I made a purple version to match the helmet logo sans outline:

vikings.png

As for the 'V' logo, shouldn't the thick part of the letter be on the right? It would make more sense to me, given the apparent 'perspective' the logo seems to be implying.

Well played nice job on that

Beat the Saints!

vikings.png

That's some really nice work there. Excellent stuff.

vikings.png

Beautifully rendered update. This would have been a perfect addition to their overhaul. Best i've seen.

Archived