Ohio Bobcats Pro Combat concept

Bobcat79

This was thrown rather hastily together in an hour or so when I realized I, for once, didn't have any homework. Having looked at Nike's pro combat uniforms for the first time just earlier this week, I thought "Sure, why not."

Since they all seem to have a story behind the uniform, the "story" for this is merely giving OU a tougher image. The claw marks on the shoulders are a testament to the grit of the Ohio Bobcats: the best team in the NCAA they sure aren't, but they're coming off a great season (for a comparatively less succesful team) and frm what I can tell are willing to fight just as hard this year. (Just ignore our pitiful offense against Toledo last week...)

I've always found our uniforms a little boring, personally, and thought a tertiary color might spice things up. I chose the "gray" as a tertiary color because as I was looking for images to start this, I stumbled upon Ohio University's actual style guide for all university logos, wordmarks, colors, etc. The choice of gray intrigued me, since I usually never see it around campus - only on stationery or letters I get, basically. The Pantone color itself turned out a little funky in Photoshop, more of a Tampa Bay pewter-gold than gray, but I left it alone because hey, I thought it looked cool.

Font on the back is Univers, though I was torn between finding a nice slab serif to match the interlocking OU. Finding the true interlocking OU we use was impossible, so I based it off a hat I own with it on there and modified University of Oregon's UO to make ours, sort of (since Oklahoma's OU lacks serifs). Quite a batch job.

Constructive critique is fine, though I don't really intend to change this or do much with it. Plus it's not very well put together. I just want to see if people think it's either a welcome change or totally crazy. Enjoy!

2096j9u.jpg

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Images thanks to TornadoGTS

Gotta lose the chest logo. First thing I thought of was Green Oklahoma. Looks waaaaay too much like the Sooners decided to be eco-friendly and had a "green" uniform or some crap.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Gotta lose the chest logo. First thing I thought of was Green Oklahoma. Looks waaaaay too much like the Sooners decided to be eco-friendly and had a "green" uniform or some crap.

My only reply to that is "COOL." Haha. Oklahoma's interlocking OU doesn't have the serifs, which makes it distinctive. However I think I could definitely try putting a more interesting logo on the front. Thanks for the feedback :)

OhioBobcatsSquareSig.pngPittSquareSig2.pngOregonStateVintageSquareSig.pngve26tk.png

Now we're starting to gain some ground. Two points - the white shoulders and green chest seem too "bottom heavy." Have you tried reversing them, and making the shoulders green?

Second, the gray-green pants are a little disjointed at the moment. Maybe incorporate some of that shade into the jersey or bring down some white and dark green to the pants. I think that would go a long way to making the jersey and pants seem like they are part of a matching "set."

Really good job so far though. I really, really like the Bobcat logo on the chest.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

As an OU alum, I don't like this. 1. The attack cat is a terrible logo. I'll be glad the day that thing dies. 2. You've got to have numbers on the front of the jersey. That's just how it is today, and there's no getting around it. 3. I don't know if a home jersey with white shoulders is the best idea. A quarterback peering over the line might only see the shoulders of his his receivers and the defenders downfield, and seeing a sea of white could lead to trouble, especially if both teams are in white helmets. 4. That lettering is just not very functional for a nameplate (what if the last name was 10, 12, 14 letters long), and those numerals look better suited for a calendar than a football jersey. I would look at either using the retro OU logo, the paw or maybe the state outline with OHIO running across it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Now we're starting to gain some ground. Two points - the white shoulders and green chest seem too "bottom heavy." Have you tried reversing them, and making the shoulders green?

Second, the gray-green pants are a little disjointed at the moment. Maybe incorporate some of that shade into the jersey or bring down some white and dark green to the pants. I think that would go a long way to making the jersey and pants seem like they are part of a matching "set."

Really good job so far though. I really, really like the Bobcat logo on the chest.

I think the "Attack Cat" will stay for now, though andrewharrington made me realize I COMPLETELY forgot to put numbers on the front. When I get some time I'll incorporate that. I did, in fact, try making the green sneak up on the shoulders but didn't like it. I struggled with a way to make green and/or white creep onto the pants... maybe a white stripe along the side with green or something? Agreed, the pants don't feel like part of the whole. Thanks for the feedback.

As an OU alum, I don't like this. 1. The attack cat is a terrible logo. I'll be glad the day that thing dies. 2. You've got to have numbers on the front of the jersey. That's just how it is today, and there's no getting around it. 3. I don't know if a home jersey with white shoulders is the best idea. A quarterback peering over the line might only see the shoulders of his his receivers and the defenders downfield, and seeing a sea of white could lead to trouble, especially if both teams are in white helmets. 4. That lettering is just not very functional for a nameplate (what if the last name was 10, 12, 14 letters long), and those numerals look better suited for a calendar than a football jersey. I would look at either using the retro OU logo, the paw or maybe the state outline with OHIO running across it.

Personally, I love the Attack Cat, but I'm still a student here and it's all I've ever known. Rufus has had many interpretations; this one is my favorite (besides the 1940s [?] "cuter" cartoony Rufus).

2. I am stupid and totally forgot numbers on the front... dumb mistake, I'll fix it later.

3. Hmm, I wasn't thinking about that sort of functionality when I made this - aesthetics only, I guess, since it's Pro Combat and meant to be a little funky/not worn all the time - but that's a great point you bring up. I'm going to move the shoulders to green in another iteration.

By "Retro OU" do you mean this?

• 2 months later...

teams are already doing too many uni's without tv numbers I would hate to see them do away with front numbers too.

I like the look of the rest though sleeves look a lil plain maybe add either of the logos there or green numbers.

love the shoulder claw marks maybe add them to the pants on the side or wrapping around thighs or knees

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

Archived