Phitin's Football League Concepts

Phitin

Alright, so I got a little disinterested with making my basketball league, and wanted to take a shot at some football logos. Football logos are a lot more interesting to me because they can be a lot simpler and more iconic than basketball logos can be. There's a big difference between what you see on a helmet and what you see on a basketball court. I have some tentative teams thought up already, and the Memphis Pharaohs was the first one I actually went ahead and designed. I find that making logos is way more fun and interesting than making jerseys, which is something I find pretty tedious and am not very good at. So in the future, I may just be making logos for some of these teams. That being said, here's the first identity:

Team 1: Memphis Pharaohs

g32810.png

pharaohshome.png

pharaohsroad.png

Finding a name and a logo concept here was the easy part; I love the name Memphis Pharaohs, and it makes sense due to Memphis sharing its name with the Egyptian city. I've hardly ever seen any teams using the Pharaohs name, so I felt that this could end up being very unique. Blue and golden yellow were pretty obvious color choices here as well, as they are very representative of Egyptian Pharaohs. The wordmark is pretty simple, just as NFL scripts tend to be (something I like). With the primary logo, I focused on trying to improve my skills with dealing with human faces. I admit I took a lot of influence from Davidson's style, especially from his logo design tutorial. Some C&C would be very appreciated for this.

phitinsig.png

Hey! Excellent work on the rendering here, I guess I'll jot down both sides:

What I Like:

- The rendering of the pharaoh. I think it could use some work in the eye region, with the nose and ears so clearly defined I'm not sure if the eye should be an ambigious stroke going all of the way to the back of the head. Other than that, awesome. I'm a firm believer that not every color from a logo needs to be part of a team's uni set, so good color choice for the pharaoh's skin.

- The font. I like the serifs on the "P" and "S", though it says "Eagles" to me. There may be a more appropriate font out there, but sinc I can't tell you what it is, I'll stick to liking this one.

- The home jersey. I like the ratio of blue-to-yellow, and that black works as an accent color, defining the side/sleeve area. Which leads me to...

What Could Be Better

- The away jersey. Too much yellow. I'd swap those numbers from black-blue-yellow to black-yellow-blue on a heartbeat. Same for the TV numbers. To get som yellow back, why not duplicate your side/sleeve area for the home. 1)It keeps up the jersey matching the pharaoh's headdress and it would keep the black accent color involved, which disappears on the road jersey. If you kept the jersey white, and used the home's side/sleever area(alternating blue and yellow stripes on the sleeves and black-yellow-blue-yellow-black side panels, I think it'd look amazing and you could drop to 1 set of pants(just the home yellows).

Side note: If you ever make alts, I'd love to see that blue helmet with a yellow jersey and white pants that have the blue/yellow alternating motif all the way down the side.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

I have to agree with everything KennyRock said. You did a really good job on the logo, and I also like the fact that most NFL wordmarks are simple. I agree with all the changes KennyRock suggested for the unis...and that's about it. Nice job and I can't wait to see more!

Very cool concept. I really like the logo you came up with (which reminds me alot of the Vikings logo). personally, i am slowly working on my own league and i also have the Memphis Pharaohs, although what you have done here is very different from what i had in mind for mine. yours is much better. i look forward to seeing more!

Untitled.png

Updated the road jersey above. Those suggestions really came in handy. I thought there was something off about the white stripe and lack of black in the road concept,but wasn't sure what to do about it. The consistent shoulder striping idea really works a lot better, I think. Thanks to KennyRock for originally making that suggestion.

phitinsig.png

• 2 months later...

Wow! forgot about this actually. I got pretty busy with college and whatnot, and I guess my interest in making logos dwindled a little. I had another team partially done, but decided not to continue. Good to see somebody wanted to see more, though.

phitinsig.png

Archived