Rose Bowl Concepts

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

I'm having a rough go with my hockey league project, and I wanted to take a break from it and try something different. Recently, I've been doing research on the BCS Bowls for a research paper I'm working on, and in doing so, I came across old games I had watched as a kid. I'm a huge Rose Bowl fan, infact it is my favorite bowl. The first Rose Bowl I personally remember anything about is the 1998 Michigan/Washington State game, and that only thing I remember is what the two teams were wearing. WSU with thier Rose-tangled wordmark on the helmet, and Michigan with thier personalized Rose Bowl logos on thier shoulders. The earliest Rose Bowl I remember the MOST about is the 2001 Purdue/Washington game, and my favorite part of it all was Purdue's personalized helmet logo with the rose, and the patch they wore on the right chest, another personalized mark.

To show you what I'm talking about, here's what I mean, using Purdue as an example:

drew_brees_2001Rosebowl_medium.jpg

What I wanted to do, especially now that Utah could possibly play in it, was to bring back the practice of personalizing Rose Bowl marks for participants. I'll start with the three Non-AQ teams who may possibly play in the game, Utah, TCU, and Boise State. Afterwards, I'll try to give the Pac-10 and Big Ten contenders some marks too.

Now, traditionally, some teams personalized both thier helmet and a patch (Purdue in '01 for example), or just a patch (USC in '96 for example). So, the teams will be the same way, some will have a helmet and patch, others just a patch.

Anyways, I'll kick it off with Utah.

With Utah, it being thier first possible trip to the rose bowl, I wanted to go all out, helmet and patch. It took quite a while, as I was trying to find out how to execute the patch. Questions swirled regarding not only the look of the patch, but where to place it. I debated between placing it on the shoulders (removing the numbers) like was the common practice in the 80's and into 2000 (If memory serves me right, Stanford in 2000 was the last to have a patch on each shoulder, correct me if I am wrong though), but it didn't look quite right. So, I settled for simply placing it on the right chest. The helmet was a challenge too, as I almost used just the block "U" alone with a rose entangled, but I decided against it and instead entangled the rose within the "U" on the drum and feathers. I have the patch featured on both the crimson and white uniforms, just to give you guys a look at what both would look like. Anyways, here they are:

Helmet

UtahRoseBowlhelmet.png

Patch

UtahRoseBowlpatch.png

Jerseys

UtahRoseBowljersey2.png

UtahRoseBowljersey3.png

What do you guys think? C&C is much appreciated!

TCU will be next, I have the ideas for them so I'll try and get to work after some study time.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I like it. I thought the rose bowl had a new logo and possible a new sponsor? but that may just be something I dreamt....

my schools new jerseys are the same template as that first one. I didn't realize that til now. Any other schools with that template?

bd891164-71ba-48c1-87b3-429d711c6e3e.jpg

i dont understand why such a good school uses impact for jersey numbers and why my school copies them.

I think you may be able to do a better job of blending in your logo into the jersey

As far as design goes, everything is top notch. The helmet looks great. However, as good as the patch is graphically designed, I would emphasize the Rose more and scale back on the Utah logo. Not to say it doesn't look good, but I think for the big game that the Rose should be the primary aspect of the design with the school secondary. Just my opinion. It all looks very well illustrated, though! Looking forward to the rest of the teams!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

The Fixer - The Rose Bowl does have a new sponsor and therefore new logo as well, and would still serve as the official logo of the game. What I'm doing is bringing back a practice of the 90's especially in which some teams personalized thier Rose Bowl emblems used on jerseys and helmets for specifically them. Two teams could use different patches in one game, for example, 1996. USC's patch featured the interlocking "SC" with a rose bud to the right, whereas Northwestern acutally used two patches - one was an anniversary patch for the Pac-10/Big Ten Rose Bowl agreement (the year celebrated escapes me though, I believe it was 50), the other was simply the tournament of Roses logo, neither of which USC wore. In 1998, Michigan used a patch on both shoulders which featured a maize "M" with roses, whereas Washington State wore the Rose Bowl logo (It appears at least), as well as a depicted rose entangled on the helmet logo. All the while, the Rose Bowl still had it's own logo. That's what I'm bringing back :) Thanks for your comments!

aawagner011 - Thanks for your C&C! I'll work on the patch a bit and focus on enlarging the rose, and de-scaling the U. I agree that more focus should be on the rose, and I'll hopefully have it out soon.

Any other comments regarding Utah?

TCU is halfway done - the helmet logo is finished (and turned out pretty cool in my opinion), now all that is left is the patch, which i'm still trying to figure out. Stay tuned, and feel free to leave more comments in the meantime!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'll go ahead and crank out TCU for today -

TCU is another school I went all out on, with a helmet and patch. I figured with the helmet, it'd be a "missed opportunity" of sorts if I didn't depict the horned frog holding the rose by it's mouth, as it just seemed like the right direction to go. With the patch, I came across a logo in which the arched "TCU" script was inside a silhouette of the state of Texas, and I really liked it. I thought it'd make for a great patch, so I added an "'11" to signify 2011 of course, and placed a rose behind the logo. Very simple, but I love how it turned out.

For the jersey depiction, I ask that you disregard the helmet, as it is obviously not the one they'd wear. I apologize as this is the best picture, in resolution and size, that I could find. I could find no pictures of the current road uniform, so I hope that the home will instead make do.

Helmet Logo

TCU_Rose_Bowl_helmet_vectorized_free.png

Patch

TCU_Rose_Bowl_patch_vectorized_free.png

Jersey

TCURoseBowljersey1.png

C&C is much appreciated as always, thanks for viewing!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

This is really good, but why last years Pro Combat?

As I said, that was the best picture in resolution and size I could find. I really just tried to present patch placement rather than the jersey itself, because frankly we don't know what they could wear if they made it. Especially where TCU is starting to mix and match in the same fashion as Oregon and Virginia Tech. The jersey is presented just to show the patch in action, not so much the jersey itself.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

This is really good, but why last years Pro Combat?

As I said, that was the best picture in resolution and size I could find. I really just tried to present patch placement rather than the jersey itself, because frankly we don't know what they could wear if they made it. Especially where TCU is starting to mix and match in the same fashion as Oregon and Virginia Tech. The jersey is presented just to show the patch in action, not so much the jersey itself.

Got it.

ChaBobcats-SquareSig.pngBlueJaysSquareSig.png

DashSquareSig.png

Anymore comments on Utah and TCU before I move on?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived