Vector Cartooning

CS85

ISSUE: I'm something of a webcomic artist, the only problem is I've made them all using mspaint, so obviously the quality isn't that great. Now in terms of webcomics, quality isn't really an issue compared to quality, but I'd certainly like to try my hand at doing something a bit cleaner than pixels.

It's one thing making a logo in svg since you pour a ton of work into it and need an impeccable final product. With these comics I don't need that, I just need simple lines, fills, and text.

I tinkered with Inkscape some and here's where I'm stuck at:

issuec.png

A. Is an idea of the quality I'm going for, but that specific image took like 20 minutes to compile. I don't have that kind of time to push out frame-for-frame punchlines, etc.

B. Is what I've been doing, more or less.

C. I ran that same image through in inkscape and did "trace bitmap" and got this image quality, which I don't mind and could be a fair compromise, except that there's no way to vector that color and other details in that all get washed out.

I know there's a website to do a quick bitmap-to-vector conversion, but it does a half assed job. I'd prefer some sort of quick method to drawing these comics using rudimentary tools ala msPaint while getting that clean look of a vector file.

Any wisdom or advice is welcome, and much appreciated.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

You try VectorMagic? Its not perfect, but it might get what you desire, and it keeps the color lol.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

You try VectorMagic? Its not perfect, but it might get what you desire, and it keeps the color lol.

I've used it before but didn't like how much lack of control it gave me over the final product. It just sort of takes what you made and gives you something based on it's best guess. I'd much rather just make the comics all within a single program without having to rely on the output of vectoring program or website.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What you really need to do is create your webcomics in Flash. You could create your basic images then make slight changes along the way, maintaining the quality you want.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

What you really need to do is create your webcomics in Flash. You could create your basic images then make slight changes along the way, maintaining the quality you want.

Hmm. I've never really used flash for...anything! Is there some kind of image editing suite it has or something? I know there's Adobe Flash video animation suites, but I didn't know there was one with the capabilities for stills.

twitter

Hmm. I've never really used flash for...anything! Is there some kind of image editing suite it has or something? I know there's Adobe Flash video animation suites, but I didn't know there was one with the capabilities for stills.

Create the images like you did in 'A', then you can add them to a library in Flash. The adjustments that Flash will allow would cut down on the time you used to compile good images. Flash is for animations, but it doesn't have to be animated.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Thanks for the advice, guys! I may play with some of these things a bit and see how it goes, hopefully it's the start of something neat.

twitter

thankscomic.png

As you can see I think I have an idea. The text is kind of problematic, but I think I've got a way around that. Thanks again guys, and if you have a tip or anything, don't hesitate to say so.

twitter

thankscomic.png

As you can see I think I have an idea. The text is kind of problematic, but I think I've got a way around that. Thanks again guys, and if you have a tip or anything, don't hesitate to say so.

Humor in a comic would be a good start! :hockeysmiley:

thankscomic.png

Those came out looking great! Like you mentioned with the text, though, it's a bit hard to read, but the stick figure itself looks fantastic!

IUe6Hvh.png

Thanks see red! The issue with the text thing is kind of a pain in the ass simply because I'm not used to inkscape yet, but that'll change. I'm thinking this might work better in Illustrator.

twitter

I think what you've done turned out pretty well. I've done a comic strip in Illustrator before, and as you mentioned, it's very time consuming. With the simplicity of your character, you might be able to template this. I had a pretty large illustration/cartoon project I had to do on a tight deadline, so I made two basic body shapes and a bunch of different faces, arms and legs in various poses. I basically just frankensteined stuff together, and it turned out really well with minimal tweaking. It'll probably turn out even better with stick figures.

Not being much of an artist in terms of freehand, I feel like the 'templating' idea is the best way to go about it if I want the quality I'm going for (as you stated). I'm still kicking experiments around.

twitter

I tried this today and it seems like the best method.

First I made the comic in msPaint.

step1t.jpg

Did a bitmap trace in Inkscape, used the fill tool for the colors, then exported the png. From there, took it into Photoshop, transformed the cells into a smaller and cleaner image, and added the text.

Turned out ok I think, and only took maybe half an hour.

conceptr.jpg

twitter

Archived