Major League Lacrosse to Expand in 2012

Brian in Boston

Both places make sense, if you ask me.

Charlotte is in the heart of lacrosse country for the South, so to speak. Duke and North Carolina has consistanly produced high level college teams year in and year out. To see a pro team in the Triangle will help the sport.

Same with Columbus as Ohio State has a lacrosse team as well. It also doesn't hurt that they'll use Crew Stadium, which is a damn nice looking place.

Charlotte is in the heart of lacrosse country for the South, so to speak. Duke and North Carolina has consistanly produced high level college teams year in and year out. To see a pro team in the Triangle will help the sport.

Same with Columbus as Ohio State has a lacrosse team as well. It also doesn't hurt that they'll use Crew Stadium, which is a damn nice looking place.

Two different markets. Charlotte isn't part of the Triangle. That's Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill.

I think a team might do OK here. They could use the soccer complex that may go unused if the new league doesn't get approved.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Two different markets. Charlotte isn't part of the Triangle. That's Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill.

I think a team might do OK here. They could use the soccer complex that may go unused if the new league doesn't get approved.

Swing and a miss on my part. But, I do have to think that the success of Duke and UNC in lacrosse will have an impact on the Charlotte franchise.

• 3 months later...

Seeing that a new lacrosse league has been founded reminded me of this thread and some relative news:

The Columbus, Ohio franchise will be known as the Ohio Machine (not to be confused with the defunct Chicago Machine).

Um... Duke and North Carolina surround Raleigh, not Charlotte. Kinda like saying putting a team in Cleveland is good because Pittsburghers would support it.

And no, Charlotte having an MLL team won't be impacted one whit by the NCAA teams. Raleighites (Raleighans?) barely go to Charlotte to catch the Carolina Panthers in any numbers, so MLL won't draw flies from here in Charlotte.

nav-logo.png

Um... Duke and North Carolina surround Raleigh, not Charlotte. Kinda like saying putting a team in Cleveland is good because Pittsburghers would support it.

And no, Charlotte having an MLL team won't be impacted one whit by the NCAA teams. Raleighites (Raleighans?) barely go to Charlotte to catch the Carolina Panthers in any numbers, so MLL won't draw flies from here in Charlotte.

Same with the 'Canes - I don't think many Charlotteans frequent Hurricanes games. It's a little less than a 3 hour drive from one to the other, but they really are two completely separate markets.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived