Pittsburgh Penguins Logos and Jerseys

piratesfan16

If I were 66 (who is in love with vegas gold and throwback blue from what I've been told) I would have the set previous to the edge with athletic gold and an athletic gold alternate...or the 91 jerseys with an alternate athletic gold jersey.

The powder blues are tired and the navy blues are not that impressive. Penguin hockey has two eras to be proud of...early 90's and the present. None of which connect to the blue. That skating penguin crest taking up the front of the jersey is far superior to either blue jersey's crest.

KISSwall09.jpg

I may be in the minority, but I love the 'Robo-pen' logo. Bold, proud, and original. Triangle representing the three rivers, a much better looking penguin than the one we have now, and it spawned some of the best NHL jerseys I've ever seen. Of course there is a nostalgic factor, but I'm still in favor of the robo-pen. I don't understand why people diss the logo on the basis that it doesn't look like a penguin. It make me wonder if they have ever seen a penguin. The current logo, while it is very classy, does not look like a penguin IMO.

Could not agree more with this assessment. I've never understood why the majority appear to think that the robo-penguin didn't look like a penguin, especially compared to the skating penguin.

I could not agree more. The 90's Penguin logo was such an underrated mark and worked far better as a jersey crest. That being said I don't think they should have ditched the skating penguin completely. They Should have had it on the Shoulders as a secondary logo.

It's not that it doesn't look like a penguin, it's that it looks like the logo for an air conditioning company.

That, and the robo-penguin replaced a logo that was associated with back-to-back Stanley Cup championships. Replacing a look that's so associated with franchise success is never a good idea.

Back to back championships or not those jerseys were really dated and I don't think it was that much of jarring change. After all it was still a Penguin on a Gold Triangle. The only mistake they made was putting the diagonal script logo on the away jersey. Had they used the logo on the away it would have been a great update.

Here's my take on the 1997-2001 road jersey. It's a little more colorful and distinctive than the ones they use today. I added a gold collar which is similar to what real emperor penguin has.

w2ou9w.jpg

This might be the worst thing I've seen in a very very long time.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Personally, I like the Vegas gold. I'd hate for them to go back to athletic gold anytime soon.

The current Edge jerseys are inferior in every way to the pre-Edge Vegas Gold jerseys. But considering how bad it could have been, it's passable. OK, not great. Not even good. But OK.

The biggest flaw I see is that there are 4 different shades of Vegas gold in the uniform set. Shiny on the logo. 2 different flat variations on the sleeves and side panels. And yet another darker flat shade on the pants stripe.

Of course the team realizes that the majority of the fan base prefers Athletic gold over Vegas gold. But in a market like Pittsburgh where the Steelers are king, they need to do something to differentiate their brand and maintain unity. They do so by using a unique shade of gold.

Likewise, the Pirates use red to differentiate their brand from the Steelers. That and losing.

The Penguins have built up a strong brand with Sid and co. Vegas gold is synonymous with the Crosby era Penguins. The introduction of blue alternates extends the brand and creates new avenues for revenue.

For anybody hoping for a switch back to athletic gold, I would guess you have a long wait ahead of you. It likely will not come back full time until there is another rebuilding period for the team and merchandise sales need a boost.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Here's my take on the 1997-2001 road jersey. It's a little more colorful and distinctive than the ones they use today. I added a gold collar which is similar to what real emperor penguin has.

w2ou9w.jpg

This might be the worst thing I've seen in a very very long time.

Whatever, we're getting away from the point of this article.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Personally, I like the Vegas gold. I'd hate for them to go back to athletic gold anytime soon.

The current Edge jerseys are inferior in every way to the pre-Edge Vegas Gold jerseys. But considering how bad it could have been, it's passable. OK, not great. Not even good. But OK.

The biggest flaw I see is that there are 4 different shades of Vegas gold in the uniform set. Shiny on the logo. 2 different flat variations on the sleeves and side panels. And yet another darker flat shade on the pants stripe.

Of course the team realizes that the majority of the fan base prefers Athletic gold over Vegas gold. But in a market like Pittsburgh where the Steelers are king, they need to do something to differentiate their brand and maintain unity. They do so by using a unique shade of gold.

Likewise, the Pirates use red to differentiate their brand from the Steelers. That and losing.

The Penguins have built up a strong brand with Sid and co. Vegas gold is synonymous with the Crosby era Penguins. The introduction of blue alternates extends the brand and creates new avenues for revenue.

For anybody hoping for a switch back to athletic gold, I would guess you have a long wait ahead of you. It likely will not come back full time until there is another rebuilding period for the team and merchandise sales need a boost.

I have to agree. But it was Lemieux's idea to change to Vegas gold. But really, I doubt any true Penguins fans would care about the colors. As long as they are winning, people will buy their merchandise. They have no other choice besides the baby blues.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

I like their Vegas gold and always liked their skating penguin. Reminded me a bit of Tennessee Tuxedo.

18825-tennessee_tuxedo.jpg

The bright yellow made their identity too much like the BRUINS.

That Black with Vegas gold color combo seems to work for the NO SAINTS so I don't know what the gripe is about.

Archived