Tennessee NFL Rebrand

CAB

Oil Derrick = perfect.

Wordmark = a little off.

Okay. I feel like I finally got this right. I enlarged the O and the S to bookend the wordmark and added 'TENNESSEE' in there. I fixed what the Impaler was talking about with the horizontal bars I think. Honestly I feel like the circle takes away from the oil derrick too much, and this is a much stronger identity if it stands on it's own. Maybe an alternate logo will include the circle. But anyway I think this may be one of the final major changes to the primary logo. Take a look-

5806194116_b696ac4392_b.jpg

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little bump here, looking for some more feedback.

I've been watching this one for quite a while, and honestly, ditch the derrick. It's not coming out the way you want it to, and it clashes with the bubbly-looking wordmark so much. The real star here is the secondary oil drop logo; go with that.

Your best bet with the wordmark is to forget the arching and outlining and just go with a flat color, straight-text look, like the Seahawks, but with the same font you're using. The cleaner and more simpler you get, the less there is to tweak. That's your best bet.

Hope this helps.

If it clashes with the wordmark, then I'll pry just work on the wordmark. Why ditch the derrick? I think I finally got it how I want it. And I definitely agree with what you said about simplifying the wordmark, I'll do that. Sorry it seems like I sound like a jerk right now. I just don't wanna quit on the oil derrick after I've come this far.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I'm going to frustrate you. lol. I'm sorry!

I still like the first oil derrick the best. It was clean, simple and effective. I think you pretty much nailed it. It was the surrounding matter that needed work (or just eliminated completely).

The latest one has conflicting highlights that mess up the perspective for me.

I'm still not a fan of the arch in the wordmark. I think you need to tone back the enlarged letters a bit and make the "TENNESSEE" bigger. I would personally try to match the perspective of the wordmark to the oil derrick to make the whole logo more uniform. I would also keep the wordmark and logo separate. For some reason, I really like the overall shape of the oil derrick in the first logo. It's a shame to cover it up.

No matter what you do with the wordmark, DO NOT ditch the oil drip. I think that is perfectly placed.

I am going to harp on the crossbar again, I really think this logo would be killer if there was some consistency in that area. I understand it's art, and what you want to go with so I don't mean to be a pest. I think on the light blue crossbar the dark blue needs to be both on top and bottom of the crossbar. That way it's set out from the derrick itself. Also, how it meets at the middle just doesn't make sense perspective wise. It's like the crossbar is set away from the derrick on the underneath, then flush with the derrick above the crossbar and at the middle of the derrick. I almost feel like I am looking at an Escher drawing but not quite as extreme. I think this would be easily corrected with the added blue stroke on top of the crossbar and doing something similar with the shaded side.

Also, one thing bothering me on the shaded side is how the crossbar is skinny on the inside but twice as wide on the far left of the logo.

Absolutely love that alternate logo.

Regarding the wordmark. I actually like it, I see it as being very structural like the derrick which is one of two ways you could go with it. The other being making it more fluid like oil. What about adding rivets to the wordmark like on the alternate? I dunno, may be too busy.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Honestly, I respect both of your opinions. But I feel like I am tweaking this so much it's going beyond what I want it to look like (after all, that's what matters right?). Please don't feel like I'm blowing off criticism; I just feel like I have the primary logo how I'd like it and I don't want to change too much. I did update the primary logo just slightly, making the 'TENNESSEE' larger. I also simplified the wordmark like CJ suggested. Here's the updated logo sheet with those two minor changes.

5825548808_15811049da_b.jpg

And now the uniforms. I kept the same consistent striping they had back in the day, but I made it come to a point and the ends (similar to an oil derrick). I used the same font for the numbers, just slightly modified. I originally had red outlines on the numbers, but it didn't look too great. I actually think solid color numbers are very underrated. The alternate logo is on the hip and the oil derrick is on the helmet. I chose a navy alternate over a red one because of the Tennessee flag. Hmm...I guess that's about it. Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.

5825531704_c2bdddddeb_m.jpg

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The jerseys are beautiful. I love the striping, and the number font looks good. My only suggestion would be to add some navy into the striping somehow...half the primary logo is navy, yet there's no navy in the jerseys. Other than that great work!

things I like: entire logo set! the wordmark is a little iffy, as someone said, but it looks great.

I like your presentation as well. Very nice. I like the helmet, and the pants on the uniform.

things I dislike: solid numbers without trim. add some trim. the chest wordmark is kind of awkward the way it is, maybe make the chest wordmark simpler? or remove it all together.

also the sleeve stripes need to stretch around...they look odd just hanging there, and the kirtsy number font doesnt really work here. I think standard block font would be just fine!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived