Tennessee NFL Rebrand

CAB

I like this. Clever with the oil drop in the wordmark. The main problem I have is that the oil derrick is being looked at from an underneath perspective. Is it not? If so, there needs to be some sort of "bottom" to the legs. Right now, it's as if I'm looking at a construction paper cut-out of an oil derrick.

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgetting the historical element and looking purely at team names, I actually like the name "Titans" much better than "Oilers."

The only thing going for "Oilers" is nostalgia, IMO. It's a rather silly name otherwise.

All that said, great concept. If Tennessee (whatever they're called) went to this, I'd be happy.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I like the oil drop in the wordmark. That is a great and subtle way to incorporate it. I also like the "oil lake" (for lack of a better term) I don't think the arch in the wordmark is needed. I would probably keep it straight and increase the size of the "O" and "S" to bookend "Tennessee" above it.

As far as the primary. I personally loved the perspective of the previous oil derrick. It was the containing shape that seemed off. With incorporating the oil drop in the wordmark, I don't think you need to force it in the primary at all. Perhaps a diamond shaped contained might work? Maybe shrink the lower star and move it to the top of the oil derrick? I don't know. Just spit-balling ideas.

im just seeing this for the first time and i like it, but i prefered the first version of the oil derrick. the view from below on your newest version doesnt seem as good because there is no ground. also on the wordmark, you dont need that darker blue lowlight running through it as others suggested. it doesnt seem very NFL-ish to me. it seems like the wordmark is trying too hard (like it's minor league style). most NFL wordmarks are pretty basic with few outlines (or none). I think one outline is enough rather than the white outline and then the red. It's too much for my taste. I liked the original logo best and you did a good job representing the oil derrick in a clean way. nice work! its just the wordmark im not liking. Again, simpler is better IMO.

the more I learn with design (thanks to a lot of input on these boards) the more I do find that simpler is better. I loved the first logo and secondary - but not the first word mark. I liked the second work mark as font, but I didn't like the dark blue. I loved the oil drop in the word mark and definitely think you do need navy in there as it is used in the other logos, but not quite sure about the liquidify fill.

Anyways, both are beautiful - definitely think the oil derrick looked better in the first logo

Okay I really hate doing polls so...I'm just gonna ask. Which do you guys prefer? The original logo with the perspective from above, or the second version?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Well I guess most people like the first one. I personally prefer the last perspective because it makes the oil derrick look taller and more...idk, powerful? Hahah. I took jaha's suggestion to simplify and completely got rid of the shape behind it. Doing this also makes it closer to the roots, just a oil derrick standing alone, which would look better on a helmet IMO. Not to come off rude here, but it's my concept and I strongly prefer the 2nd version over the first. Do you guys like this one better with the small adjustments I made?

primaryv4.png?t=1306679861

helmet.png?t=1306679906

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Yeah, the first perspective just looks a lot better then the new one. Really I think you should have just kept the first version of the logo but turn the shape behind the rig upside down so that it looks like an oil drop. I think chestnutz was kind of suggesting the same thing, plus I think with the backdrop, the logo would look really good on the helmet.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived