1956 Major League What if.....

Hi guys and gals.

I was bored at work the other night, and fiddled around with this notion.

What if the AL and NL always had divisions? What might they have looked like in 1956 for example?

Here's what I came up with.

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Baltimore Orioles

Washington Senators

AL West

Kansas City Athletics (A's)

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Brooklyn Dodgers

New York Giants

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West

Milwaukee Braves

Cincinnati Reds

St. Louis Cardinals

Chicago Cubs

I wonder how it might have worked back then, had they had two divisions. If a balanced schedule were observed, then the Phillies for example would have played 66 divisional games and 88 non divisional games, assuming interleague play was not implemented, and since a 154 game schedule was observed until 1961 (1962 for the National League).

The Phillies could have played the Dodgers, Giants & Pirates 30 times each, for 90 games, and then played each of the 4 west teams 16 times, that would still total 154 games. That very well might have worked back then...

I'm curious to see what you all think of this, and if you can come up with other examples from other years prior to 1969, since that was when divisional play first began.

Cordially,

Bill McD.

Greta idea.. totally cool to think about. I love when folks think out of the box, to see what their minds can come up with. Nothing aggrivates me more than people so stupid, they can't even entertain messing around and thinking about things in a different way.

Why ask why.. go home and cry.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived