NHL and College Basketball teams

ninersdd

First off, I had thought about this for a few weeks before the CFL and NFL one came up.

What NHL teams are most similar to College Basketball ones?

Here are mine:

Detroit Red Wings-Duke Blue Devils: Year in and year out, both are championship contenders, both considered the standard of their sports, and just about everyone hates them.

Chicago Blackhawks-Arizona Wildcats: I know Arizona hadn't had nearly the long ineptness the Blackhawks had, but both teams are good examples as to how what can happen when terrible ownership/athletic departments can rot away at once proud teams. When you put in competent people in, look at what happens as the Cats and Hawks have proved, rebounding from subpar periods.

Columbus Blue Jackets-Arizona State Sun Devils: Both typically very bad, only have had one major star(Jackets-Rick Nash, Devils-James Harden), and both had their solid years in 2009.

Nashville Predators-Cal Golden Bears: Both sport blue and gold and have solid coaching. Tough to play every game and usually good enough to make the playoffs.

San Jose Sharks-Texas Longhorns: Easy. They come up as championship contenders every year, but as you know disappoint greatly.

LA Kings-USC Trojans: Both LA squads with solid defense usually. However, both have d-bag coaches and while they usually are in the playoffs, they usually don't go deeper then that.

Phoenix Coyotes-Washington State Cougars: Mostly obscure teams that play in the middle of nowhere that don't have a lot of talent, though are a pain to play against and will surprise you.

Colorado Avalanche-Stanford Cardinal: 10 years ago, these guys were scary good. Now, they are lucky not to get last in their conferences.

Edmonton Oilers-Indiana Hoosiers: Both places have a lot of tradition and love their respective sports. Unfortunately, both of them currently reside in the cellar of their conferences.

Atlanta/Winnipeg-Colorado Buffaloes: Both squads are historically mediocre and both made big moves this year(Thrashers to Winnipeg, and Colorado to the Pac-12).

Washington Capitals-Pitt Panthers: Pretty much like the Sharks and 'Horns with dominating regular seasons and subpar playoffs.

Florida Panthers-South Florida Bulls: Both reside in South Florida and are both pretty much irrelevant.

Carolina Hurricanes-Butler Bulldogs: While the Canes don't make the playoffs every year like Butler, they make their presence known when they make it, usually pulling lots of upsets and going deep.

Montreal Canadiens-UCLA Bruins: The kings of their respective sports in championships; while their not exactly elite today, both are competitive and a safe bet to make the playoffs every year.

Boston Bruins-Connecticut Huskies: The defending champs. Both are New England teams, and recently had to overcome major heartbreak(Bruins last year against the Flyers, and UConn against San Diego in 08')

Pittsburgh Penguins-Kentucky Wildcats: Both have young, great teams with the best young players in the game(Crosby and Malkin for Pittsburgh, Wall and Knight for UK).

New Jersey Devils-Kansas Jayhawks: Both are fairly recent champions, have a successful tradition, and usually are on top in their divisions year in and year out. However, both have been prone to upsets/early exits(Devils in 08-10, Kansas in 05, 06, 10, and 11)

Again, I had thought of this a couple of weeks ago, and I thought that it would be fun to discuss. Please share your thoughts/opinions.(Especially since I didn't cover every team. Also I am mostly familar with the Pac-10 squads so that's why I mentioned a lot of those teams.)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The fact that you equated this to NCAA basketball will give you lower respondents, then you also made it Pac-10 heavy. Especially since I have no clue on your age or the time you have spent looking at the Pac-10/12.

You were just throwing out darts:

Boston Bruins to UConn? You just took new champions.

Florida Panthers to USF: Sunrise, FL is 240 drivable miles from Tampa.

Carolina Hurricanes-Butler Bulldogs: The Hurricanes won a title in the last decade.

Atlanta/Winnipeg-Colorado Buffaloes: Both squads are historically mediocre and both made big moves this year(Thrashers to Winnipeg, and Colorado to the Pac-12): Child, please. That is still a reach.

New Jersey Devils-Kansas Jayhawks: NJ last won in 2003 and Kansas last won in 2008.

Nashville Predators-Cal Golden Bears: They were nothing before the Jason Kidd two years and the subsequent Lou Campanelli dismissal. Todd Bozeman got them probation and Mike Montgomery really does not need the cash.

Columbus Blue Jackets-Arizona State Sun Devils: CBJ are the only pro team in town, while the Sun Devils have to compete with the Suns for a basketball dollar. All of us here realize that Glendale isn't a real marketing foil.

The fact that you equated this to NCAA basketball will give you lower respondents, then you also made it Pac-10 heavy. Especially since I have no clue on your age or the time you have spent looking at the Pac-10/12.

Carolina Hurricanes-Butler Bulldogs: The Hurricanes won a title in the last decade.

Atlanta/Winnipeg-Colorado Buffaloes: Both squads are historically mediocre and both made big moves this year(Thrashers to Winnipeg, and Colorado to the Pac-12): Child, please. That is still a reach.

New Jersey Devils-Kansas Jayhawks: NJ last won in 2003 and Kansas last won in 2008.

Nashville Predators-Cal Golden Bears: They were nothing before the Jason Kidd two years and the subsequent Lou Campanelli dismissal. Todd Bozeman got them probation and Mike Montgomery really does not need the cash.

Columbus Blue Jackets-Arizona State Sun Devils: CBJ are the only pro team in town, while the Sun Devils have to compete with the Suns for a basketball dollar. All of us here realize that Glendale isn't a real marketing foil.

Best dfwabel line EVER!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Ehh, looking back I thought this would be kinda fun and interesting to talk about, but I guess not. I was not trying to troll at all and I guess I shouldn't have done this thread.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Best dfwabel line EVER!

Glad that you liked it.

That simple fact that NCAA coaches on average have longer tenure in their jobs somewhat make the comparisons very unjust. Especially since 23/30* NHL coaches have been with their teams for three seasons or less.

*- New Jersey still has yet to hire a coach.

Archived