BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top 2 SP's both disappeared off the board right before my pick in Moose and Bert, but I think Smoltz is a damn good bronze, and he was higher on my list than Glavine, because he was more dominant.

I'd be interested to see what you think of my next pick, a starting pitcher as well. I'm surprised he's still around. Should be a Hall of Famer in my book.

Joe Torre to me is the best player eligible for induction who's not in the Hall. Number two hasn't been picked yet. Kevin Brown would be three.

I think anyone who voted for Lee Smith and didn't vote for Kevin Brown seriously needs to have their head examined. At no point was he ever the most dominant relief pitcher in baseball, and I'd be more then happy to debunk his '91 season when he finished second in Cy Young voting as being dominant. (Check out Chuck McElory's stat line from that year for starters, but I can give alot more examples then just Chuck McElory.)

I'd also argue Ken Boyer should be in as well. I'd put him about 20th for best guys not in the Hall that are eligable. Third basemen just get no love from the Hall.

Newhouser! (bow)

Prince Hal! That guy was a stud. Great pick.

Thank you, without my Tiger knowledge I wouldn't of picked him.

He was one of those intimidating, knock-you-down gamers on the mound. I love pitchers like that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Newhouser! (bow)

Prince Hal! That guy was a stud. Great pick.

Thank you, without my Tiger knowledge I wouldn't of picked him.

He was one of those intimidating, knock-you-down gamers on the mound. I love pitchers like that.

Agreed, they add so much more to the game.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

You've got that right, YessSir! That's exactly why I picked Early Wynn. That guy was mean on the mound.

So the next needs I have to address are 3B and RF. I'm set on the third baseman I want (provided he falls to me), but right field I'm having a hard time with. I'm debating between two of them - the first I expect to be gone soon, the other, I'm not so sure. Problem with the second one is, while the guy has a pretty household name, his career unfortunately declined quite early and thus altogether, his career numbers aren't as great as others. I'm just not sure if it'd be too much of a reach to get him or not. In my book? He was one of the best of his era.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I think I know who you mean for the corner outfielder (and remember it's corner, so if there's a LF higher take him)... if it's who I'm thinking of (injury ended career?), then yes, it would be a stretch.

I wouldn't say an injury ended his career...more like gradual stress-related issues. Maybe....it's hard to describe. He certainly had his injuries, but there wasn't a particular one that felled him, if that's what you're getting at.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I know who your targeting at 3B there.

I have usually been targeting HOFers, but the 3B and one of my corner OF targets are not. The 3B should be, though, in my book.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

It's starting to get tough here. Thankfully I have my starting nine all but sewn up with a few loose ends to tie up. And then it gets down to rounding out the usual band of ragtag misfits and goofballs for the bench and pen.

packchampionslfroh.png

There were not many better pitchers than Ron Guidry in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Gator is a great addition to my rotation, I think the Veterans Committee will eventually elect him to the Hall of Fame. Though I'm obviously biased.

Dennis Martinez has one of the oddest careers I've ever seen.

Its pretty rare to see someone start out well, fall completely off the face of the earth for years without suffering any injuries and then come back better then ever.

What keeps Guidry out of the Hall for me is that he just doesn't pitch enough. Top ten in AL ERA five times, finishes in the top ten for innings pitched three times over what is essentially a 12 and a half year career. Another 300 innings or so he might a case, but I can't take him that seriously with that limited amount of work.

He's someone that might have fared better had they pitched in today's game.

Dennis Martinez has one of the oddest careers I've ever seen.

Its pretty rare to see someone start out well, fall completely off the face of the earth for years without suffering any injuries and then come back better then ever.

Yeah I know. I think he was on a lot of bad luck teams. He has really good stats, a World Series Championship, 4 time All-Star, and a good winning record.

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived