Creating a University from Scratch

drdougfresh

1) no go on gold pants in hockey. Light colored pants simply don't work. Plus, I've worked with equipment managers for NCAA D1 hockey teams, and two sets of pants would be a real pain. Make it black and call it a day

2) NCAA wears white at home in hockey. Among the legal colors to substitute for white are yellow, baby blue and gold. Why not make the set gold home, black road, and the teal third? That would at least be pretty different.

3) you forgot socks and helmets for the hockey team. Helmets you can go without (though they usually match the pants, so I'd like to know if you're going gold again), but the socks are a definite question: would you put the aztec stripes on there?

4) I know it's your hypothetical college, but you already added an unbelievable stadium, do you really think a brand new team could afford Reebok Edge jerseys? I mean, if football is the primary sport (which would probably be the best draw), hockey would probably be relegated to an ACHA/club sport played on off-campus rinks like University of Arizona and Arizona State do (both have ACHA D1 hockey teams and no NCAA teams). I'm thinking old-school SportsKnit or AthleticKnit would be more realistic. If you want to do something more involved, you should do a progression. Start the school in the 70s or 80s, have timelines for one or two sports from then to now, and show what sports were added when. In the interest of not starting over, you could do all of the current sports and then retroactively add their histories. It's just all a bit much

1. It's a concept, so I'm doing it how I think it looks good. Gold pants are unique, black are not.

2. Close enough to gold IMO. They're not really in order, but it goes: road, home, alt.

3. I didn't have any socks on my template, apologies. Yes, striping on the socks, matching the uni color.

4. That's very in depth, but again, I'm creating a hypothetical college from scratch. Which means an unlimited budget, top-notch performance equipment. Could any new university afford to build a campus overnight and field that many teams? Hell no. But that's the fun in it all-- what if. Yes, your take is realistic, but it's more limiting, and it's not as fun to design "low quality" and work up.

Thanks for all the comments, guys! And glad I can be an inspiration haha.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love all the work so far, I think the logo is good but the way the tongue sticks out looks kind of strange, I know you were going for a real Aztec drawing though, but it may look better without the tongue sticking out... just a thought.

I'm not really into soccer or hockey but I love what you did with the uniforms, can't wait to see what you've got in store for baseball and football.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I'm on a roll tonight. I just made this template because I couldn't find anything too great, so bear with me. Thanks to gatek99 for reminding me about one of the more forgotten (and cheap to run) programs in college. Here's NVU's track & field identity:

TrackFieldSlick.png

As always, thanks for the C&C.

I'm on a roll tonight. I just made this template because I couldn't find anything too great, so bear with me. Thanks to gatek99 for reminding me about one of the more forgotten (and cheap to run) programs in college. Here's NVU's track & field identity:

TrackFieldSlick.png

As always, thanks for the C&C.

I would love to be the head XC and Track Coach please!

vegasbowl.png

Amazing! What's next? Football or another sport? I would love to see the finished football stadium.

Probably baseball. The stadium was just experimenting, so I don't plan on furthering that any more haha.

Alright, it's baseball time. For this team, I really wanted to keep it simple and let the unique colors speak for themselves. Pant stripe is the Aztec striping, and the black vest jersey is the alternate. Not much else to say on this one, just wanted to keep it clean and fuse modern with the Aztec motif.

BaseballSlick.png

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming!

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it. I'm still working on uniforms, but I figured I'd give you guys a look at the main logo for athletics. I pulled the 'itzcuintli' from the Aztec day calendar, which means 'dog'. I think it's an entirely unique look for this state, and it actually has significance to the origins of the state (unlike a devil or wildcat). All 4 colors are present here. I'm working on stadium design, as well as uniforms. This is going to be a fairly large project :grin:

NVUMain.png

Damn man you certainly have put alot of work and thought into this. Congrats, this is an excellent idfea that I think could go very far and as maybe even someday a reality. I love the whole aztec/color theme. Its very original and you're staying very true to the actuall Aztec art. The Logo def says college and the aztec dog is very cool. This is so intresting to me that I will def follow this and am pulling for ur idea to become a reality. The staidum and the layout of the entire campus looks awesome as well. Good Luck man!

Alright, it's baseball time. For this team, I really wanted to keep it simple and let the unique colors speak for themselves. Pant stripe is the Aztec striping, and the black vest jersey is the alternate. Not much else to say on this one, just wanted to keep it clean and fuse modern with the Aztec motif.

BaseballSlick.png

Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming!

Btw may I add, im a huge baseball fan and am a very traditional fan but i love the mix of modern with traditional and dude for years now ive been wanting to see more baseball teams college and or pro go with differnt stripes (somthing thicker like football, look up the turn ahead the clock Mariners jerseys on google and youll see Griffey rockin the pants i think they look sweet) but your idea takes it to a whole new level that i've never seen done before and i think it could possibly start a fad/trend in the future; I think if all teams who have something that unique about them should use the modern stripes on a 3rd/alternate jersey. Your aztec stripes look so sick that I'd buy em haha lol. Keep em commin man you certainly are talented and on a roll (bow)

These colors look amazing on the baseball uniforms, very nice! Are you going to add a Lax team?

Maybe design the women's one piece bathing suits, and the men's speedos for the swimming team?

Haha if you can find me a good quality template, you got it.

You should not place sports facilities in the center of campus, the housing needs to be in the center as that should be the focus, not six to seven games a year. Look at how commuter schools, who have taken the sports step up, have tried to address that with their Master Plans (Central Florida) The campus community should be built via student housing and activities, rather than sports/ticketed events. It also does not seem to be enough parking for a student body, faculty and staff, less an athletic contest.

Plus, how close is the stadium from the flight path of the adjacent airport?

You should not place sports facilities in the center of campus, the housing needs to be in the center as that should be the focus, not six to seven games a year. Look at how commuter schools, who have taken the sports step up, have tried to address that with their Master Plans (Central Florida) The campus community should be built via student housing and activities, rather than sports/ticketed events. It also does not seem to be enough parking for a student body, faculty and staff, less an athletic contest.

Plus, how close is the stadium from the flight path of the adjacent airport?

Thanks for the input. As I have stated previously, it's merely for fun. I'm making sports the center because I want to. You can make student housing the focus of a university you create, should you so choose. This is more about the idea of taking a singular idea and turning it into a brand, not about parking. But I would hire you to map out the campus better if I needed it :P

gatek99 again with the ideas. Here's LAX. Tomorrow I should be able to conclude the series with basketball and football, so stay tuned.

LAXSlick.png

Again, I'm not a city planner. The campus map was merely for illustration and fun. I want my fake university to be centered around sports, regardless of what it should be. After all, no one gets anywhere spectacular following the status quo, right?

C&C!

Archived