Interview with Mark Verlander

BrandMooreArt

great stuf from one of my design heroes at the Sports Design blog

"Also, it may surprise many that for each team I designed I only worked directly with the NFL creative department in New York. I never presented to or even met any of the team owners or management. I’m sure most of them would be surprised to learn that I had designed their team logos."

http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2011/07/08/interview-with-nfl-designer-mark-verlander/

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Interesting. So NFL creative would sub-contract out the design work and present it to the teams?

That's how it sounds. I certainly didn't take it to mean that the NFL decides on these things and just hands them out to the teams. I'm guessing that the teams "hire" NFL creative and work with them just like any business would work with any designer that they hire.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting. So NFL creative would sub-contract out the design work and present it to the teams?

seems that way, i bet Harrington could expand more on this

i think i remember the Jaguars worked directly with a Jacksonville firm when designing their new uniforms though

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

seems that way, i bet Harrington could expand more on this

i think i remember the Jaguars worked directly with a Jacksonville firm when designing their new uniforms though

The team can work with who they want, and often will solicit work from more than one place either directly or indirectly (it wouldn't be strange for the league, its outfitter and an outside firm or two to throw in work in the beginning stages of a project). One thing's for certain, and that is the team and the league have to brief the designers before the work begins, and they both have to sign off on everything before it's official. When an outside firm designs the uniforms, they would have to work closely with the outfitter to make sure the design is achievable, given the certain limitations of apparel design.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived