How the NFL is killing off NFL Films

DuckFats

The kind of classic NFL films type stuff can be done by any broadcaster in live coverage now. NFL network can produce the history type shows.

You know absolutely nothing about either network tv or NFL Films. Suffice to say that NO broadcaster can do ANY of the so called 'classic NFL Films type stuff' because they don't have the number of cameras necessary and they don't use film, but videotape, which is for :censored: quality wise. NFL network can't produce the history type shows with NFL Films which owns and holds the rights to all of the footage in it's vaults.

But HD and 3DTV can provide, in fact a superior quality picture to the film NFL films used for most of it's history. I'd imagine the likeliest scenario would bevthat NFL network and NFL films would be merged in some way, giving NFL Network immediate access to the whole of NFL Films vault. Honestly, I get the important role NFL films played in popularising the game, but is there any value in the two media arms of the NFL co existing in the way they do at the moment?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The film quality and shots are not what made NFL Films special, it was the whole work the production values the editing the shots the scripts the stories. If NFL Network can do the same bravo its no loss, but if they cant it will really suck.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's like how many audiophiles prefer records to CDs and lossless files. There's a charm and a purity to the film that no state-of-the-art HD camera can possibly match.

The imperfections actually can make it more real.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's like how many audiophiles prefer records to CDs and lossless files. There's a charm and a purity to the film that no state-of-the-art HD camera can possibly match.

The imperfections actually can make it more real.

Fine. I assume said audio and video philes are willing to take care of their relatively swiftly decaying media formats, correct?

Actually, now that I started thinking about this, I wonder what is the long and medium term plan for the content in the NFL films vault. There has to be some sort of migration/conversion project in place, correct.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I always found the whole NFL Films thing to be kind of bloated and pretentious, not to mention bordering on self-parody. The same stentorian narration over the ubiquitous shots of Steaming Black Man Head, the scoreboard lights starting just out of focus and coming back into focus, the slow-motion spirals, all of it, every time. We don't need to present every football game of every year as worthy of a documentary. It wouldn't be so bad if these existed parallel to the actual telecasts, but the games as we watched them seem to disappear into the ether, to be permanently replaced with overwrought AND-THEN-THEE-NEW-ENG-UH-LUND-PAY-TREE-UTTS-GUH-LOR-EE-US-LEE-ASS-SEND-DID-TO-THE-RANKS-OF-FOOTBALL-IM-MORE-TAL-UH-TEE silliness.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always found the whole NFL Films thing to be kind of bloated and pretentious, not to mention bordering on self-parody. The same stentorian narration over the ubiquitous shots of Steaming Black Man Head, the scoreboard lights starting just out of focus and coming back into focus, the slow-motion spirals, all of it, every time. We don't need to present every football game of every year as worthy of a documentary. It wouldn't be so bad if these existed parallel to the actual telecasts, but the games as we watched them seem to disappear into the ether, to be permanently replaced with overwrought AND-THEN-THEE-NEW-ENG-UH-LUND-PAY-TREE-UTTS-GUH-LOR-EE-US-LEE-ASS-SEND-DID-TO-THE-RANKS-OF-FOOTBALL-IM-MORE-TAL-UH-TEE silliness.

Maybe if they just mixed up the soundtracks a little. Enya would be a much better fit for the late ought Rams, "My Heart Will Go On" would probably work for Buffalo or Detroit, etc.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How can you not love that narrating?

Can you honestly tell me when you played football in the park you did not start humming some of the classic Sam Spence music?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My one and only foray into pickup football ended with me wide-receiving a ball with my nose. That's my biggest memory of the great 1994 season.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived