Winnipeg Jets Retro-ish logo and jersey

originaldave77

Winnipeg-Jets-Vintage-Retro-Sleek-Updated4.png

Here are a bunch of variations, not really attached to any one. If I had to pick it would be the first one (top left).

@fisheatcats I hear you on the notch. I just set out to update my older logo with the Jets current scheme. I think it can be added or dropped without affecting the logo too much.

@zaheb I looked at your mockup and felt the two jet notches cut into the 'W' in a distracting way. Hearing that though, I tried a few different approaches for the jets, even added a plume that looked like a serif.

@aci The original mockup could be considered the italic way to go. I feel the newer one has the 'W' fitting the circle in a better fashion, and looks more symmetrical. Can go either way really.

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it!

Shadowing on the contrails make them look one dimensional like a piece of paper more than contrails. I say either keep it all white or make the shadowing a lot less smooth like on a cloud, since the contrails are basically just artificial clouds. I'd also make them thinner towards the jet-- and just coming appearing from where the engine's are or put negative space between them. Having it come right off of the horizontal stab doesn't look right to me. That bottom middle one especially doesn't make sense.

IUe6Hvh.png

lol it's 10x better than that guy who made the Jets jersey, that was shown on icethetics.

I felt compelled to revisit my design after seeing that lame duck design on Icethetics, which was not worth any hype.

I'm not convinced he is a designer. He's just a guy who did the artistic equivalent of cybersquatting on a web domain by using the Sens' only logo from their original era. It got some exposure, which forced the Senators to collaborate with him to avoid looking like they stole it.

Shadowing on the contrails make them look one dimensional like a piece of paper more than contrails. I say either keep it all white or make the shadowing a lot less smooth like on a cloud, since the contrails are basically just artificial clouds. I'd also make them thinner towards the jet-- and just coming appearing from where the engine's are or put negative space between them. Having it come right off of the horizontal stab doesn't look right to me. That bottom middle one especially doesn't make sense.

Winnipeg-Jets-Vintage-Retro-Sleek-Updated5.png

Is this closer to what you had in mind?

There will always be some trade-offs, as I'm not trying to portray realistic contrail behavior or appearance. Just s stylish and legible W formed by two jets. The negative space works for the red jet on blue, but the red circle interrupts the negative space under the grey jet, which is why it was flush. Unless I added a blue outline for the 'W' and grey jet, but that complicates things.

in thous last 2 u added separation which looks nicer 2 me but maybe u should try either making the outline on the W next to the red plane thinner in the second (u could either make it to match the width of the plane without outline and add it to the plane outline) because right now i feel like it is 2 thick as if it is thicker than the blue outline on the red circle (whole logo) which makes it seem strange to me and maybe you should play around with width tool for lines on that end (if u got cs5) or expand and than play around normally to add effect of maybe the outlines also getting thinner as they get closer to plane :? just giving some ideas i don't know how it will look

Winnipeg-Jets-Vintage-Retro-Sleek-Updated6.png

Actually let me retract that last statement. It actually works pretty good! Thanks See Red.

Glad I could help! I know you're not going for an actual, detailed look with the contrails, just figured those little tweaks to make them a little closer to realistic would improve the logo, and I think they do. How would they look if they were more rounded at the bottom? Just for the record I preferred the darker blue at the top. Seemed to pop a little more.

I failed to mention earlier how much I like this concept! Was a very good idea!

IUe6Hvh.png

Actually let me retract that last statement. It actually works pretty good! Thanks See Red.

Glad I could help! I know you're not going for an actual, detailed look with the contrails, just figured those little tweaks to make them a little closer to realistic would improve the logo, and I think they do. How would they look if they were more rounded at the bottom? Just for the record I preferred the darker blue at the top. Seemed to pop a little more.

I failed to mention earlier how much I like this concept! Was a very good idea!

Thanks! Actually I am quite content with the straight/flat bottom, as it echoes the top edge of the 'W'. I think it looks more dynamic/aggressive/faster with the sharp edge.

Another reason to not round the bottom (and this might sound silly), I want to avoid any resemblance to the golden arches! And the Washington Nationals too, as a common knock against the first one I did was it being too baseball-ish.

Here is one last edit: made the blue darker, and compressed the 'W' a bit to match the negative space below to the top of the circle a bit more.

Winnipeg-Jets-Vintage-Retro-Sleek-Updated7.png

YES! I know that I've seen a very similar logo concept somewhere else though, still love it anyway!

I've had versions of this concept going back a few months.

They were too baseball-like though:

Winnipeg-Jets-Logo-Embroidered-2011-2012-davesgeekyideas-2012.png

This one is awesome! What about incorporating a 3rd jet over the first part of the W to signify the three eras of Jets hockey...WHA, NHL 79-96 and the current incarnation?

IMo the new update took 2 steps forwards.....and 5 back. I feel the shadowing added dimension. You can't even tell what direction the jets are going/coming from. Personally, the top left is the way to go. But if I'm the only one who's against your update, ignore what I'm saying.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

IMo the new update took 2 steps forwards.....and 5 back. I feel the shadowing added dimension. You can't even tell what direction the jets are going/coming from. Personally, the top left is the way to go. But if I'm the only one who's against your update, ignore what I'm saying.

Nothing is really set in stone. I like the ribbons too! There is some versatility in the design, that is for sure.

@Northender Not sure how to incorporate a third jet into the 'W'. But that is an interesting idea. I did make a few with a 'J' that featured a third jet: http://davesgeekyideas.com/2011/06/25/second-winnipeg-jets-logo-concept/

Archived