Listen to NFL Games on Your iPhone

BlueSky

I downloaded an app called TuneIn Radio for the iPhone. It's very good and offers access to many stations, including WWL in New Orleans. I fully expected their feed to be blocked once the Saints game came on today but it's not and here I sit outside Atlanta listening to the game in a place I usually wouldn't be able to (i.e. somewhere I have no access to XM).

WWL did do a promo today saying Saints games were now streamed on their website so I'm not sure whether any kind of blackout applies to other teams. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else lives far from their team and might be able to hear games with this or another similar radio app.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I downloaded an app called TuneIn Radio for the iPhone. It's very good and offers access to many stations, including WWL in New Orleans. I fully expected their feed to be blocked once the Saints game came on today but it's not and here I sit outside Atlanta listening to the game in a place I usually wouldn't be able to (i.e. somewhere I have no access to XM).

WWL did do a promo today saying Saints games were now streamed on their website so I'm not sure whether any kind of blackout applies to other teams. Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else lives far from their team and might be able to hear games with this or another similar radio app.

The stations owned by CBS Radio are off TuneIn. A third party is walking a fine line in distributing content, especially live sports. For the Saints/WWL, they had to sign up for the station's "club" to stream the games.

Yeah, taking money for re-distributing licensed content seems pretty sketchy.

I really wish the NFL had something like MLB's magnificent "At Bat" app. When does Verizon's exclusivity run out?

1. Don't really see that here. I could go to WWL's website and listen if I chose to, I pay for the app to have the convenience. There are many apps like it. What about Pandora? Do artists get paid whenever something plays on Pandora radio? I don't know the answer but I imagine somebody somewhere would be howling if there was some problem with these apps.

2. Exclusive contracts and anything else that limits customer choice should be outlawed.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yeah, taking money for re-distributing licensed content seems pretty sketchy.

I really wish the NFL had something like MLB's magnificent "At Bat" app. When does Verizon's exclusivity run out?

1. Don't really see that here. I could go to WWL's website and listen if I chose to, I pay for the app to have the convenience. There are many apps like it. What about Pandora? Do artists get paid whenever something plays on Pandora radio? I don't know the answer but I imagine somebody somewhere would be howling if there was some problem with these apps.

2. Exclusive contracts and anything else that limits customer choice should be outlawed.

In terms of Pandora, royalties are currently paid on a per song, per use basis, but that may change soon.

Archived