Two Random Logos...

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

I've got two quick logos to show you all. Before I show them though, I should probably explain what they are for. I'm starting a college fantasy project for fun, in which Utah would be its own independent nation in an alternate timeline/universe. I'll save the big details of the project for when/if (hopefully when :P) I post the finished product here, but it's just a simple fun project that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Now, if Utah was it's own country, then it would obviously have it's own collegiate athletics association. This is the basic idea of the project, in that I would be creating identities for the affiliated universities, conferences, and football bowls associated with the Utah Collegiate Athletics Association (UCAA). I already have the names, nicknames, and locations of each university and conference finalized, with bowls hopefully soon to follow.

Anyways, I wanted to show you guys the primary logos of two schools I've created. As of now, despite me having designed the logos of about half the total schools now, these are the only two logos that I feel are "polished and ready".

The first I'd like to show you all is the primary logo for the Uintah State Dragons, located in Fort Duchesne, Uintah (in this alternate universe, the counties are states - so Uintah County would be the State of Uintah). They are a member of the Eastern Eight Conference.

UCAA_Uintah_State_vectorized_free.png

The primary colors are black, kelly green, and gold. The red and orange are simply the colors of the flame, and are not official school colors. This is actually a dragon logo I created about three years ago to submit for a local high school, but never got around to it. It's been tweaked around and cleaned up for the project, and I really like how it turned out. What do you guys think?

The second I'd like to show you all is the primary logo of the University of Davis - Farmington (UDF or UD-Farmington) Rockets, located in Farmington, Davis. They are a member of the Big North Conference.

UCAA_UD-Farmington_2_vectorized_free.png

The school was named "Rockets" after the famous Lagoon Amusement Park (also located in Farmington) ride, "The Rocket". I'll go into further detail in the full project, but this will be a school affected by PC and will have changed their name recently, thus why the nickname is named after something relatively recent for what will have been an older school.

Anyways, about the logo, obviously it is very inspired by the Houston Rockets' late 90's logo. At first, the rocket did not have a face, but I decided to add an aggressive face to give it more of a collegiate look (I had Iowa State's "Cy" logo - one of my favorite sports logos - in mind when designing the face). The school colors (in order) are red, gold, and black (will be used sparingly on uniforms, mind you). Think late 90's Iowa State or Kansas City Chiefs with small black trim regarding the colors. One concern I have for it is that it may be too close to the Houston Rockets' logo, but I tried to design it with enough notable differences that it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Also, with the small details I've given regarding my project, do you guys think it's a good idea? Would you like to see something of that sort posted here?

C&C is very appreciated and encouraged, let 'er rip! :) Thanks for viewing!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated. Other than the flame, are there any other tweaks that should be made to the Dragon? I'm glad to hear you guys like the rocket logo as well, it was the one I was most worried about of the two.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

the dragon needs an eye and body. i like the flame but make iot looklike it coming out his nostril instead of plcing it there.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

As I said before, I think it's a bit too abstract. I actually thought it was a horse at first. I would add more specific details (eyes, mouth) to make it more clear that it is a dragon, BUT- it is still a fantastic concept as it is right now.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Dragon definitely needs a defining shape like an eye. I first saw it as an abstract hummingbird, with the flame being a flower. That green spot at the nostril looks like an eye at first glance to me, I think that's where the issue came up.

Yeah JG, that Rockets' logo was a big inspiration to the general idea of my rocket logo. I'm glad that there are enough differences in mine though, as I stated in my first post I was hoping that there'd be enough notable differences. Glad you like it!

Anyways, I played around with two different eye ideas for the dragon. What you have here are the two different eye ideas with flame, and the two eye ideas without it. Which, if any, are improvements? Thanks as always!

UCAA_Uintah_State_tweaks_vectorized_free.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I haven't posted anything in a good while, but I think this concept is a good place to start.

The dragon logo needs work. I almost think that you should go with a monochrome dragon silhouette, just drop all of the green and gold fixations you've got going on there. As for the flame, I don't know what that is. I'd google "flame clipart" for some inspiration. Try one color with the flame, too.

The rocket logo on the other hand, is pretty flawless. If possible, try giving the eye a little more definition.

Nice work!

Archived