CU reserving Ralphie logo solely for competition

roxfan00

The Associated Press

BOULDER, Colo.?The University of Colorado is trying to rein in the use of its Ralphie logo by reserving the buffalo mascot's image solely for competition.

The logo is fair game for the athletic department or for use in academic competitions, but, for example, it shouldn't be used on university letterhead. The University Memorial Center also can no longer buy new uniforms with Ralphie's logo for its food service workers.

CU system spokesman Ken McConnellogue told the Daily Camera ( http://bit.ly/z1kDUB) for a story published Sunday that he doesn't like playing "logo cop," but "if we don't have standards and guidelines, you get the slide where there are hundreds of different logos."

McConnellogue said consistency is necessary for the school's branding efforts, and university departments should be using the interlocking CU logo.

But some regents and students have been critical of the new policy.

"If we're getting in the business of telling food services workers at the UMC that they can no longer have Ralphie on their shirt, I worry about our priorities and if we're taking our branding too far," said Joe Neguse, a regent from Boulder.

Meanwhile, Becca Brough, a junior studying English, said her sorority often uses Ralphie images to promote events or partnerships with charities.

"I think it's bizarre," she said. "Ralphie is a symbol of the university."

CU unveiled its new image a year ago and began phasing out a series of inconsistent logos that have varied widely in their use. The $780,000 branding project was paid from the university president's initiative funds, which are interest earnings on CU's investments.

Read more: CU reserving Ralphie logo solely for competition - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19949768#ixzz1mDhFsL00

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

It's not unexpected - Wisconsin has the same requirements for Bucky Badger, an equally iconic logo. Athletic department only.

Yeah, but the motion-W is used pretty much everywhere else...Ralphie's the ONE logo most folks associate with CU sports.

bYhYmxh.png

We had a "logo police" incident when I worked at American. My organization within the company needed a logo so we went very basic, just the four-letter acronym with the "scissor eagle" as a background. Someone in Legal informed us this was a no-no; the eagle can't be covered up. This was remarkable because of what sits in front of the building in which we all worked (AMR is AA's parent company):

469abb6d-5f4c-463e-83d6-529535f259a5.JPG

I had the style manual and e-mailed the person that we'd complied with all the requirements. Our logo looked exactly like the one on the sign except for the letters. She replied it was an "unwritten rule." Well, unwritten = non-existent. I asked what would happen if we went ahead, we'd see a headline in the Star-Telegram saying "American Sues Self in Logo Dispute"? :wacko:

They backed down.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived