Joe Theismann once spoke of a a white helmet for the Skins

gmu599

A few years ago, I remember reading an interview with Joe Theismann in which he stated that the Redskins were planning on moving to a white helmet for the 1983 season. The idea was apparently scrapped as the Skins went on to win their first Super Bowl in 1982. Has anyone else ever heard this? Was there ever a pic of the prototype helmet? I've searched far and wide for this, but I've had no luck. I cannot even find the interview in which Joey T. mentioned this. Anyway, I've played around in Photoshop to see what this may have looked like if it had come to fruition.

Redskins_White_Prototype_Side.png

Redskins_White_Prototype.png

If the Skins had gone ahead with the white helmet, what do think the stripe pattern would have been? What about the facemask color?

Hmm...that would have been interesting. I'd guess the facemask would've been burgundy, as for the helmet sripes, maybe gold-burgundy-gold. Or perhaps they would've given a double-stripe pattern (like on the sleeves and pants) a shot.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I played around with a burgundy facemask, but something just didn't feel right about it. I also tried flip flopping the burgundy and white, so the helmet shell is white and the outer stripes are burgundy. That didn't fit for some reason either. I'm probably just too accustomed to the burgundy helmet.

the only way a white helmet would work is if the spear was on it.that would be cool.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived