Chicago hawks re-brand

TorinK29

I am thinking about to send this is for puckdrawns re-design contest. (Let's just forget about the Blue Jackets, I didn't realize the similarities until after it was finished.)

For the logo, I decided to simplify. The design inside the circle is based on the 40's barberpole jersey for the Hawks. The four stars represent the four cups won by the Hawks (Lets forget about the Islanders also.)

I wanted to go for a classic look for the jerseys, how did I do on that?

As for the team name... Imagine next year an outbreak of political correctness, the Blackhawks become a taboo name for the NHL. Keeping with the teams history, as the first coach (for the love of midnight I can't remember his name) of the Hawks was a patriot and made his team all american. Hence the name the Nationals.

So here it is, The Chicago Nationals of the 2012-2013 NHL season

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YMAw7fi1iRw/T11xe41ZDcI/AAAAAAAAAJs/1l0bqQkOQfA/s1600/puckdrawnfirstentry.png

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Hm, not many issues with it, but I'm assuming you'd want 29 to be the player's number? The way the sleeve numbers are now, they'd be 92.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I think there's way too much going on right now. I like a barber pole as much as the next guy, but the amount of tiny stripes is hard on the eyes.

The irony of it all, is that it reminds me much more of the old Soviet Wings hockey team (with the blue, white, red pinstripes, and the stars...i mean, big red star in a red circle with stars above it and a C? it screams "CCCP!") than anything American.

Sorry, I'd go back to the drawing board on this one.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Gotta say my opinion here will be very biased. As Hockey Week already pointed out, this needs some reworking. However if this is the look you want to stay with, I suggest thickening the thin stripes appropriately so that they don't look so cluttered from a distance. Also, instead your standard star I'd go ahead and use the six-pointed stars from the Chicago flag if you want the uniform to further connect to the city in a subtle manner.

Midway.png

In addition to using the six-pointed stars, maybe try using the lighter blue from the city's flag.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

chicagore-brand.png

I made the stripes still loosely based off the original design, but I added elements from the USA Olympic third jersey.

I originally had the colour of the Chicago flag, but that was way to light. I darkened it a dozen shades.

I also took out the C in the logo and replaced the stars with six pointed stars (The ones in the circle are still 5 point because I'm working in paint and doing the best I can)

I also thickened the stripes in the logo, and made the middle stripes just one.

I also meant for my number to be #92

chire-bsoulder.png

I decided to create a shoulder patch for the jersey (I needed to anyway)

It's just the six point star with the striping from the main logo on it.

Thoughts?

That's still not the right star, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Chicago

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That's still not the right star, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Chicago

I don't like the look of that star on the jersey, and it's easier to do this on paint

If you're unable to pay for a higher-end graphics program, try getting GIMP. It's a freeware program that offers a lot of advanced options that Paint doesn't. You can take the star from the flag and resize it to fit in your design.

A solid red star for the shoulder patch should be good, it'd look terrible on the home jersey as-is.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

ok, so there's a Chicago city element here...but what's so "National" about it? You've still got a lot of small stripes with colors that don't have enough contrast between them (the red star gets muddled in the blue stripes of the logo), and it's just not that strong of an identity.

For a "Team Chicago" or "Chicago All-Stars", maybe that design works, but otherwise, there really isn't that much there.

On top of that, this logo fails one of the key tests of a quality logo, and that is to be good at all sizes. If you shrink that down, the red stripes disappear, the stars at the top blend in, and it's suddenly a blob.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived