Bear logo

The Fixer

Hey I've been working on this for a few days and I'm stuck. I'm having trouble converting this from an illustration to a logo. I can't get the outside shape to work...any CC is appreciated ( i realize that the two side highlights don't exactly work)

Beardraft.jpg

I like where this is headed. I really like the outlines how they are right now, cool sense of motion. Unfortunately, I would ditch almost all of the inner features, except the nose snout. Something just feels off about the shapes as they are now. Instead of trying to block out each individual feature, maybe try and create a shape that envelopes all the facial features? Keep at it, like I said the sense of motion in this is great and I think it has the potential to turn out really well.

I like where this is headed. I really like the outlines how they are right now, cool sense of motion. Unfortunately, I would ditch almost all of the inner features, except the nose snout. Something just feels off about the shapes as they are now. Instead of trying to block out each individual feature, maybe try and create a shape that envelopes all the facial features? Keep at it, like I said the sense of motion in this is great and I think it has the potential to turn out really well.

hmmm really? I thought I'd get the complete opposite criticism. I don't think there is ANY motion to the logo. I thought my problem was the outside shape not the inner individual shapes...I think you may be right about making one shape instead of numerous. I'll think about your comments and thanks for the help :)

Yeah, honestly I think having the right outline shape bigger than the left makes it look like the bear is coming at you. I would have one big outline around all those shapes, or try and join the ears to the bottom parts, although that may be harder to do. But overall I think they're stronger than the inside. If I cover up the eyes and face highlights with my hand, leaving just the outside shapes and the nose, I immediately see a bear, but when I take my hand off it starts to lose that recognition.

This is all just opinion, I might just be looking at it a lot different than others will, but that's what I see. Hopefully it can help out a little.

I agree with chickenfish in general about the the outside shape. It has a subtle but not overwhelming sense of motion, which works well. The bigger outline shape on the right side makes it seem as though the bear's body is slightly turned but it's head is facing forward. If anything, I think you should try to connect the small outline on top of the bear's head to one of the outline shapes that is connected to it's ears. It's kind of just sitting up there alone, and almost looks like the bear is wearing a yamaka.

The inside shapes however, needs a little more work (as chickenfish pointed out). The shading is pretty significantly off on the bear's snout. Try outlining the definition in the snout rather than shading it all, If that makes sense. Also, If it's supposed to be specifically the same type of bear in the picture you may want to try to match the basic shape of the head a little better. It's currently pretty rounded when it should really be almost a heart shape.

All together, though, this shows a lot of promise. Keep it up, I look forward to seeing updates!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

That big black moustache needs to go. Right now, the snout and nose is small and it should be much larger.

Also with the eyes, you have two big dark areas which create the feeling that the eyes are very deepset. This techniques work with people and many animals, but bears' eyes are not really deepset and the huge black areas there right now leave this looking un-bear-like.

The shading is confusing all around. The mouth and "moustache" look like a photo negative. The white line that I think is making the frown of the mouth is white.

I do like the outer overall shape of this, but the whole mouth area needs work. It is confusing.

Archived