TorinK29's NHL redesign

TorinK29

Yay! after 3 months extended Hiatus, I'm finally getting back to this, so don't crucify me if it looks like crap.

Winnipeg Jets: (Edited)

winnipeg.png

I went with a crossover of the orignal NHL and WHA jerseys, and added grey as the tertiary colour instead of white. I think that It is overused in concepts, but underused in the NHL. So this will be one of the few teams that will have a grey jersey. Alternate is a collection of past failed ideas

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I like: Use of gray, looks really sharp especially in the striping on the home jersey, the road jersey in general.

_

_What I don't like: The NOB font (not catchy enough, indistinctive), and the chest stripe on the alt, just doesn't look like it belongs

_

_Pretty solid job here, just ditch the chest striping and it's pretty good.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Ok, so I fixed the Jets and am working on an LA set, but there's something I want to address about the Detroit and Toronto sets.

As I mentioned I wanted the original six (plus Vancouver and Ottawa) to have four jerseys. The fourth would be a throwback to the first time that franchise won a Stanley Cup and would only be used two or three times a season. So if you like the first three Detroit jerseys, I plan to leave that concept as is. However for the Maple Leafs, If you like the throwback better I'll change that to the alternate jersey and then make the throwback from the second time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup.

Thoughts?

Los Angeles Kings:

Los+Angeles.png

Let me start by saying that I dislike the new kings jerseys, I personally loved the pre-edge ones. So, keeping with the simple theme that the kings have been keeping almost their entire history, I created a pre-edge like purple jersey. (California needs less black anyway.) The pencil tip logo stays as a shoulder patch. Since I already used purple for the home and away jerseys, and I love the current purple throwbacks, I decided to create a yellow version to keep as and alternate.

C&C?

The Kings set looks sharp. Purple as a primary colour definitely suits them and sleeve/hem striping is attractive and understated. Only thing I'm not feeling are the circular shoulder yokes. You said you were going for the pre-edge feel which is why these look out of place. The Pre-edge had an angular design that suited the logo and striping better. The alternate looks sharp though some white outlines around the purple stripes would go a long way.

LA update:

Los+Angeles.png

Edmonton Oilers

edmonton.png

I went back to the blue - white - copper with red as an accent colour, those jerseys where my favourite Oilers jerseys IMO. I went to a slightly different striping pattern though and brought back the 'oil rigger' shoulder patch. For the alternate, I wanted to do something like the WHA orange jersey, but it didn't make sense to put another colour for this concept. The striping is based off of the popular pre-edge oilers alternate.

C&C?

Hi y'all!

I deleted the poll at the beginning since it would be problematic in the future and no one was voting on it anyways. I also thought it would be a neat idea to do a 'mockumentary' of the next 5 years of the team, like the few NHL 2017 posts that were up a while ago. I'll do a test run on this concept, but the concepts will still be for 2012. Tell me what you think and to keep going or stop.

Anaheim Ducks:

12-13: 12th: 40 points. Did not qualify

13-14: 8th: 94 points. Lost conference quarterfinals (2-4)

14-15: 2nd: 105 points: Lost conference quarterfinals (3-4)

15-16: 3rd: 99 points: Lost conference semifinals (6-5)

16-17: 2nd: 105 points: Lost conference quarterfinals (0-4)

With only 41 games played in the 12-13 season, the ducks were hit hard, with key players like Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and Jonas Hiller playing in Europe. The ducks still managed to finish in a better place than the last year though, with Corey Perry going on a tear and scoring 28 goals to finish in a two way tie with Sidney Crosby. The next year, Selanne and Koivu retired leaving a few holes in the roster. After finishing the first half of the season with just just 36 points, the Ducks traded Bobby Ryan and a third rounder for Tuomo Ruutu and a first rounder. The ducks went 28-11-2 to capture the final playoff spot. Perry once again shined with 48 goals, 32 in the second half. Sadly losing in 6 games to the Blackhawks in the first round of the playoffs. Next year was more of the same. Cam Fowler scored 60 points and won the Norris Trophy and Perry scored 44 goals, Hiller was a finalist for the vezina with a 2.21 GAA and a .930 s% amassing 42 wins. However they were shocked by the Flames, who had won 8 out of their last 10, in 7 games in the first round. Next year they finished on top of their division again, but with no major awards given and Perry having an off year scoring 32 goals. They did, however advance to the second round for the first time in nearly a decade, beating Saint Louis in 5 games, but once again losing to the Blackhawks in 6.

Next year, they won the pacific division for the third year in a row, with the exact same record as two seasons ago. Perry won the Richard for the third time in his career with 55 goals, but they fell flat in the playoffs again by being swept by the Canucks.

How was that? To long? needs more detail? anyway, here's the concept.

anaheim.png

I went back to a jade/teal colour and based the jerseys a little bit off of their late 90's alternate. I'm not sure on the away logo, any ideas? I think that the Wild Wing jersey wouldn't be do bad if it wasn't so... you know, bad. So I took the arms and hem as inspiration for the alternate and left out the yoke. C&C?

Also added TOR, DET, WPG, and LA to finals.

I like the new color scheme for the Ducks. The actual jersey design seems very futuristic and doesn't work for me. It's just that thing at the end of the sleeves though. It kind of makes me think Jets, but i dunno.

I would change the "D" to orange on the dark jersey like it is on the white jersey.

While I wait for C&C and think of ideas for my next concept (probably will be Ottawa) I think I'll do one more of the mockumentaries. If the response to this is positive, I think I'll do all the final concepts in one or two posts. But for now another trial run:

Dallas Stars:

12-13: 3rd: 57 points. Lost conference quarterfinals (1-4)

13-14: 9th: 94 points. Did not qualify

14-15: 6th: 97 points. Lost conference finals (8-8)

15-16: 4th: 98 points. Lost conference semifinals (7-4)

16-17: 4th: 100 points. Lost conference quarterfinals. (1-4)

The 12-13 season went well for the Stars. They went on an 12-2-1 run to star the season, with a strong start from kari lethonen, and with a strong offense and a 39 point performance by Eriksson, they still managed to go 14-8-4 to win their division. Losing to Minnesota in 5 games as Bachman and Campbell were not prepared for the playoffs. The next year did no suit them well. Lethonen played 72 games, playing mediocre, and Bachman went 2-10-1. Eriksson could not replicate last season and finished with 53 points. The team finished ninth tied with Anaheim for the last playoff spot. After a 4-0 start by Lethonen, he pulled his groin again and was out for the season. Campbell, unhappy in Dallas was traded to Edmonton along with a first and fifth rounder for a lacklustering Nugent-Hopkins. Because of this, Bachman had to play 70 games. Going 39-32-9 with a 2.65 GAA with 8 shutouts. It was a streaky year, and that lasted in the playoffs, breezing past the first two rounds of the playoffs, they were then swept by a resurgent Red Wings squad. Next year was the same. But Lethonen played 72 games without injury and Eriksson score 80 points. They fell one point short of the division lead and then swept Calgary, to fall to Minnesota in 7. The next year was also almost a complete replica. Although they finished with their best record in a decade and a half. Lethonen was a finalist for the Vezina winning 39, having a 2.33 GAA, a .923 S% and 6 shutouts. Nugent-Hopkins had a breakout year, scoring 84 points. Unluckily, the team suffered an injury streak late in the season, including Eriksson leaving with a broken wrist. They fell to Minnesota in 5 in the first round.

• 4 weeks later...

New York Islanders:

More haitus, but I'll try to get things going again soon

2012-13: 15th: 35 points. Did Not Qualify

2013-14: 14th: 79 points. Did Not Qualify

2014-15: 14th: 83 points. Did Not Qualify

2015-16: 16th: 79 points. Did Not Qualify

2016:17: 11th: 89 points Did Not Qualify

The start to the 12-13 campaign went pretty well for the Islanders. Starting 5-1-3 with Tavares getting 4 goals and 5 assists and Nabokov going 5-0-2 with a 1.65 GAA. But Then in a game against Buffalo, everything went wrong. Nabokov let 5 goals on 18 shots halfway through the game, before being pulled, and Tavares went out for the season with a torn ACL, which Steve Ott got suspended 7 games for. After the 8-1 loss, everything went downhill for them. They went 10-19-2 and finished second last in the league. Next year was more of the same. Nabokov could never regain his form and Tavares was still out for the first half of the season and wasn't playing to par. The next season, Nabokov retired so the management had to go out to find a new goaltender. Al Montoya played the first 11 games of the season, going 4-5-2, before the Islanders managed to grab Roberto Luongo back, from free agency after a stint with the Blackhawks. They signed him for a 4 year 24 million dollar, sound familiar? contract to be their #1 goalie. He wasn't. They finished 14th again, and Tavares was traded at the deadline to the Flyers for a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick, after scoring just 16 goals an getting 29 points in 51 games. I should point out before the next season, that I did add two expansion teams. The islanders finished second last again. In the 16-17 season, the Islanders finally got a glimpse of hope. Luongo played decently, and Nederriter and Strome both had 34 goal seasons.

NY+Islanders.png

Here's the concept, not much to explain. Also, give me some more C&C on the Ducks and Oilers

OK leafs request: (I hate the leafs so I'll try not to be biased)

2012-13: 11th: 43 points. Did Not Qualify

2013-14: 9th: 90 points. Did Not Qualify

2014-15: 8th: 95 points. Lost Conference semi-finals (4-5)

2015-16: 11th: 90 points. Did Not Qualify

2016-17: 6th: 96 points. Lost Conference quarter-finals (1-4)

The 12-13 season was average for the Leafs. Kessel has 50 points and Lupul had 45. The next season Reimer played less than par and shared net time with Marc Owuya. Kessel went on a tear scoring 45 goals and 92 points. But no-one else scored above 54 points (Lupul) After a Reimer trade to San Jose Owuya stood on his head, going 37-20-7 and posting a 2.45 GAA with 10 shutouts. With Kessel getting 81 points. It was enough to push the leafs into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. They managed to upset 1 seeded Philadelphia in 5 games, but fell to 2nd seed Washington in a sweep. Despite their playoff sucess the past year, they fell to 11th place. Owuya played decently and Lupul improved in points. Going from 39 to 70. They were in 7th spot with 9 games to play, but they went 2-6-1 to fall down out of contention. The next year Owuya was a finalist for the Vezina, Kessel and Lupul tied for the team Lead in points with 75 and Dion Phaneuf finished second in defensive scoring with 57 points (4 behind Karlsson). They didn't manage to get past the first round though, falling to the Penguins in 5 games.

Archived