OKC Thunder and Miami Marlins

JayMac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm of the opinion that the Thunder uniforms and colours are great, but that the logo is just kind of bad. It's not even that terrible. Conceptually it's not all that different from the Lakers, Clippers, Pistons, or Nets logos. A basketball, the team name, and the name or initials of the location. Sure, a thundering bison would have been a neat twist on the name, and Norse mythology around Thor has a lot of cool imagery (lightning bolts, hammers, etc...) but as far as NBA primary logos go, the Thunder's logo isn't that out there or bad conceptually speaking. It could have been better executed, but really. The problem isn't that it has nothing to do with the team name.

Now back to the uniforms and colours. Like I said, I think they're great. I was originally put off by the decision to have both "OKLAHOMA" and "CITY" above the number, but I think it works with the font they've chosen. Everything about the uniforms seems simple, traditional, yet unique.

The colours really help with that. I think they're stunning. I really liked the Warriors' old navy, golden gate orange, and gold scheme, but it was just to "out there" for a team with the history that the Warriors had. They're perfect, however, for a team that set up shop in 2008. The addition (and emphasis) on a lighter blue really helps the whole thing pop, I think.

I don't buy the "Oklahoma City doesn't deserve a NBA Championship team because they're not New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, or Boston" logic though. Is Oklahoma City a huge cosmopolitan metropolis? No, but if that were the criteria for NBA Championships then the Knicks would win the thing every year. As someone who cheered for the Jazz in two straight NBA Finals (for unrelated reasons though) I like the idea of a smaller market getting a chance to make a splash every now and then.

As for the Marlins, I'm with McCall. Keep the gold/yellow. Not only does it allude to a sunset, but it also makes the logo pop just a little bit more.

Other than cheering for the Jazz (die hard Bulls fan back then), I agree with everything here. The uniforms are maybe "safe", so to speak, but that's good with the mess of a primary. Number font annoys me a little but nothing big. I would like to see Oklahoma on top of the number with City below it. The stacked name was kind of a mid-last decade fad colleges did, around the time OKC came into the league, but schools have now pretty much gone away from that now and so should the Thunder.

Anybody else disappointed that they chose the name thunder but did not have thunderstruck playing when announcing the starting lineup?

They'd be expecting that. ;)

The Thunder name fits Oklahoma (obviously because of the weather). The Marlins colors fit the area but the text and and logo seem too 90s IMHO.

Archived