OKC Thunder and Miami Marlins

JayMac

When I look at the two franchises' logos and colors, a couple things jump out at me. The color schemes are almost exactly alike. They use multiple colors and have somewhat generic logos. Since the brands are both fairly new (Miami's is this year and OKC's is a few years old), do you think that this is the future of logo branding or rebranding? I couldn't think of an NFL or NHL franchise that fits the description though. Just curious of your guys thoughts.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami DOES NOT have a generic logo.

It may be simple, it may be abstract. It does however have meaning behind it.

It's not generic and it is actually good IMHO.

These things you unequivocally can't say about the Thunder logo.

The only similarity is the color scheme.

Still my favorite quote around here about the OKC logo (please, if someone knows who said it, name them so they can get the credit they greatly deserve):

"It looks like a guitar pick skiing down a mountain of suck."

That being said, their uniforms aren't bad. Could definitely be improved, but could also be worse.

Miami DOES NOT have a generic logo.

It may be simple, it may be abstract. It does however have meaning behind it.

It's not generic and it is actually good IMHO.

These things you unequivocally can't say about the Thunder logo.

The only similarity is the color scheme.

Agree to disagree. Yes the marlin is abstract but I still think the logo as a whole is generic. I do agree that the OKC logo is worse and probably one of the worst in all of sports.

I can't root for the thunder against the heat and won't until they get a new logo. I like the players, like the fans and the environment, can't stand that logo, looks like a fish or something. Just horrible.

I really like the marlins logo though and wish they'd acknowledge the blue like okc does.

I think Miami will drop the yellow soon enough. Kind of pointless.

I agree. But I guess having yellow in the scheme makes them a little more original.

The yellow is there as a representation of the sun in the M. The orange is the morning (or evening, if you're in the water facing west towards the shore) sky and blue, the water. All this to go with the "leaping" marlin on the logo. The only way yellow will be dropped is if they change the logo almost completely.

I can't root for the thunder against the heat and won't until they get a new logo. I like the players, like the fans and the environment, can't stand that logo, looks like a fish or something. Just horrible.

That makes absolutely no sense. By that logic, I should root for the Yankees because I like their home uniforms, even the mismatching NY's, but hate everything else about the franchise.

That makes absolutely no sense. By that logic, I should root for the Yankees because I like their home uniforms, even the mismatching NY's, but hate everything else about the franchise.

Yeah shaydre, that's taking logo-obsession to ridiculous heights. I mean come on. Are you really gonna let the Thunder's stupid logo ruin your enjoyment of the NBA Finals?

Yeah shaydre, that's taking logo-obsession to ridiculous heights. I mean come on. Are you really gonna let the Thunder's stupid logo ruin your enjoyment of the NBA Finals?

I disagree. If you are otherwise neutral about a team, rooting for or against teams that you feel have great or crappy uniforms is perfectly fine.

I couldn't care less about the Angels or Giants, but rooted for the Angles in that World Series because I really liked their new look. I'm also rooting against OKC in this finals, because I think it'd be a disgrace to the history of the game to have photos of players in those horrible road uniforms (or even the home uniforms that just say THUNDER) holding the O'Brien trophy immortalized forever. I think the Heat is a silly name too, but I think that their logo and uniforms are both pretty nice and at least befitting of a major league team.

I also wouldn't want to give the OKC owners any reason to keep the identity for even a minute longer than they otherwise would. I almost want them to be punished for picking that name and then going with a logo and uniform design like that. So even though I'm generally apathetic about the NBA, and I generally dislike LeBron James, I'll be pulling for Miami (though I probably won't watch too much of it and will have to read about who wins on here.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived