MMA in the Olympics?

Viper

With boxing, wrestling, judo and taekwondo already long-time Olympic staples, could mixed martial arts soon be joining them?

A newly formed international governing body for MMA is already proposing a modified version of the sport, designed to accommodate a 16-fighter single-elimination tournament format within the 16-day constraints of an Olympic Games, and hopes to make its Olympic debut as soon as 2020:

Qualifying rounds in the year leading up to the Olympics would lead to a 16-athlete elimination tournament in each weight class for a maximum of four fights per athlete ? a huge number in a sport that typically has months between fights. The Olympic version of the sport would have fewer allowed techniques ? a more toned-down violence than the UFC ? and a different type of scoring system.

If this happens, MMA would likely dwarf the other combat sports in the Olympics and maybe even push one or more of them out (boxing, I'm looking at you).

Discuss...

CCSLC signature.png

If the UFC is not a true global monopoly by 2024, then it COULD have legs. However, if Dana White and the Fretitta family will still have a majority of the athletes under contract, then they would want to control the process, as opposed to an new international federation.

Twelve member nation plus 60 more is still less than those who are members of the International Baseball Federation. A bigger issue will be the issue of cuts since minimum suspensions are generally 30 days for cuts but they would have to come back two days later especially if headgear is not used.

Yeah, this would be awesome in theory, but could it work? The head gear would be a reason that it couldn't because of chokes and other moves. And all those fights in two weeks would be hard. Back in the day they did the tournaments in one night so I guess they could do it. I don't know, it would be awesome though.

If the UFC is not a true global monopoly by 2024, then it COULD have legs. However, if Dana White and the Fretitta family will still have a majority of the athletes under contract, then they would want to control the process, as opposed to an new international federation.

The article did say this new international federation is geared toward amateur fighters, who would not yet be in the UFC or any other pro MMA organization. Indeed, under this proposal Olympic MMA would effectively serve as a feeder system to the UFC, delivering to White and company fighters who are already stars of the sport (as Olympians) before their first UFC bout.

CCSLC signature.png

They might be serious about it, but its one of those things where I'll believe it when I see it.

In terms of boxing going bye bye though, I'm not concerned. Considering how much countries have invested in the sport, I would say its safe for a long time in the Olympics.

I think it eventually will reach the Olympics MMA is already passed boxing in fan interest and as it grows it will eventually get its spot at the Olympics.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think it eventually will reach the Olympics MMA is already passed boxing in fan interest and as it grows it will eventually get its spot at the Olympics.

I think your are wrong.

Stop using what is Anglo North-American in terms of what the world has interest in.

Latino boxers continue to give the largest PPV numbers in terms of buys. Mexican and Mexican-American boxers still draw outside of Floyd.

Plus, boxing does not have the major numbers and stars from the Olympics, but that does not mean it is dead. The better US Amateur boxers do not train to get gold, they take a shorter route to turn pro first for the quick money. Other nations still box, but do not have MMA.

I think your are wrong.

Stop using what is Anglo North-American in terms of what the world has interest in.

Latino boxers continue to give the largest PPV numbers in terms of buys. Mexican and Mexican-American boxers still draw outside of Floyd.

Plus, boxing does not have the major numbers and stars from the Olympics, but that does not mean it is dead. The better US Amateur boxers do not train to get gold, they take a shorter route to turn pro first for the quick money. Other nations still box, but do not have MMA.

I agree. While MMA is certainly more popular in the US (I've even seen it used as a marketing vehicle in two separate churches, in two separate states) I don't see the worldwide popularity.

Unlike the other combat sports, when I watch MMA, I don't see the mental aspect of it. It just looks to me (a casual observer) like two guys trying to beat each other to a pulp. Olympic boxing (unlike pro boxing) almost plays like chess, especially in the lower weight classes. I don't watch much boxing, but I love it in the Olympics. The other Olympic combat sports play out similarly, and I have as much familiarity with those as I do with MMA.

nhl94vansigpng.png

They might be serious about it, but its one of those things where I'll believe it when I see it.

In terms of boxing going bye bye though, I'm not concerned. Considering how much countries have invested in the sport, I would say its safe for a long time in the Olympics.

Boxing's Olympic status isn't being questioned because of to lack of worldwide interest. It's being questioned because over the last several Games it's had one officiating/scoring/judging controversy after another, in spite of (or maybe even because of) frequent tinkering with the scoring/judging process, something the IOC has been concerned about for years. That's why there's been all the talk about them pulling the plug on boxing in the Olympics, not lack of interest.

Needless to say, this new amateur MMA governing body will have to show to the IOC that they can avoid such controversies in their competitions. This may actually be the biggest stumbling block to MMA joining the Olympics.

Update: Boxing's officiating woes hit a new low with claims of outright fight fixing.

CCSLC signature.png

That's a very American-centric view. Boxing still retains popularity in all sorts of places that MMA is still very much a fringe activity (i'd include most of Europe in that). I would imagine some form of MMA might reach the Olympics, but remember the summer games is at Bursting point and sports are at a one in one out stage, so something's go to give to allow it in.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It turns out the amateur form of MMA not only has a name of its own (albeit one that's awkward as hell - pankration, anyone?) but it actually dates all the way back to the original Olympic Games. No, not Athens 1896 - try Athens 648 BC.

CCSLC signature.png

It turns out the amateur form of MMA not only has a name of its own (albeit one that's awkward as hell - pankration, anyone?) but it actually dates all the way back to the original Olympic Games. No, not Athens 1896 - try Athens 648 BC.

Virtually any combat sport can make the same claim since the only rules for Pancakeratio are no eye gouging and no biting. It's like saying there were chickens in the Cretaceous Period, but their claws were longer and they were called Velociraptors.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Archived