Quiddich Logo: Blacktips

suplauren

I do think a crest can work. It'd be fine if the shark left the shape somewhat, but think about how the Hufflepuff crest fits with the house traits. With the Badger. It's an earthy shape, it's industrial, as Hufflepuff is associated with hard work. Slytherin has liquid throughout, Gryffindor has a fiery and bold sense. Ravenclaw is the most open, it expands, feels unconstrained.

Great points, I hadn't even thought of that! I'll have to discuss it with my team, and figure out how we want to be seen. I'm assuming they'll say something like "intimidating" and maybe "not terrible" :P

In any case, the crest will come after I've vectored in everything I originally planned to have: the shark, the initials, the snitch, and the alt logo with the broom in the shark's mouth.Edit: Vectored the Snitch~

JNmNI.gif

Ok putting aside the fact I cant even begin to get my head around real people playing quidditch I'll concentrate on the design aspects only. I think the line in bold is probably the biggest issue you have or will have with this logo. You're going about it backwards imo. If you want the piece to work as a crest, you have to design a crest. From the beginning. If you dont what you'll end up with is a logo dumped on a shield. Heraldry is an art unto itself, and not something that's just thrown together.

As others have pointed out it's always best to finalise the entire silhouette first then apply the highlight areas to the shape, to give form. And to do that you'll need to choose the direction of your light source and make sure that all line weights are consistent based on this. Thinner near the light source thicker further away from it. For arguments sake lets take what you have so far and say the light is gonna come from the top right. That would mean the lines on top of the shark would be thin and the ones below would be thick. But as it stands the line round the dorsal fin is as thick as the ones below the shark, which is where the darkest point should be. I'm talking about line thickness here but the truth is they're not really lines they're "implied" outlines if you finalise the silhouette first and are implied by positioning the blocks of highlights closer to the edge of the background shape where the light is strongest.

I'd like what you've got right now, if it was for a modern team, but with regards this project I cant help but feel you're going to end up with something that falls between two stools, it will be neither heraldic, nor a sports logo. The biggest part of design is recognising your market and creating something in the appropriate style, and in this case I dont feel that a modern sports stlye logo is really the way to go. I would personally go for a far more heraldic and old fashioned crest style approach to this one as it would better suit the atmosphere and aesthetic style of the design in the books and films.

You've clearly got talent so I dont think you'll have a problem doing it, but it would mean starting over from scratch, and that's something no one likes doing (myself included) but sometimes it's the best thing that can be done for the good of a project. I look forward to seeing how this one goes.

9ersstve

9ersstevesig.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi guys,

I know it's been a while but I finally get around to revamping my team's logo. I also made a wordmark! This is my first time working with text, so advice would be appreciated :)

5HsCLFT.gif

Au2ro6y.gif

Oh, and for fun, here's the current "branding" our team is using. It's our facebook cover photo:

cf2NfYD.png

(you can like us on Facebook here, if you want: https://www.facebook.com/sbblacktips )

It's the outline of the letters coming up to meet the bottom of the P... is it too distracting?

Very interesting concept, big HP fan here. Really like the Shark. There are a few inconsitencies with how you introduced the 'Blacktips' part however IMO. I think it mostly has to do with the grey outline and the position of the wordmark. The outline is a bit thick and distracting and the B covers most of the actual black tip fin. I liked the SB part better and I miss the snitch :) Would be really cool if the shark either already caught the snitch and if that could be made visible somehow without making it look like a shark just ate a bird, or if it was about to eat it, giving you the opportunity to draw it with open jaws!

Archived