Quiddich Logo: Blacktips

suplauren

Hi everyone! I'm Lauren, and I'm new around here. I need some advice on where to go with a logo I just made for my real life Quiddich team, the Santa Barbara Blacktips. Here's my first draft:

rBtIk.gif

I could use advice on shading and overall concept. There is going to be more added to the logo (mainly the letters "SB" directly above the shark), but I want the Shark to be very strong first. I need a 1 color logo for us to use on our jerseys, but I want a more dynamic logo for other applications. Our team colors are Black, Silver, and Purple.

Thanks for any input you can give!

As it currently is, it lacks flow and movement. The Shark looks more like it is beached, then roaming through the water looking for it's prey. The tail fin is rendered oddly as well. Here's a comparison

shark-tails.jpg

Another thing you could improve on is line weight. It will make the shark look more like a logo, and less like a drawing. Can't wait to see how you improve this one, I'll be following along.

You're right about the tail... The more I look at it the more it looks a bit bloated. I found this ref photo of some blacktip sharks. 980169-black_tip_shark_Bora_Bora.jpg

I need to reduce the size of the lower lobe a bit.

I'm not too sure of what you mean by line weight. I tried to vary the weight some. Like on the curves on the lower body, I tried to thicken towards the middle and thin towards the end. Could you maybe give an example of good, dynamic line weight?

Thanks for your help!

Not a problem at all.

I don't really know how to describe the line weight thing any better than by simply showing you. You may have heard of Fraser Davidson, but he is probably the most talented artist I've seen on the boards. If you look through his portfolio, you can see all of his logos have THICKbold lines and then he highlights the appropriate parts. What you have now is more of a cartoony drawing. It looks flat, it has no real weight to it. It just looks like something you would sketch on a piece of paper in comparison.

Okay, I've worked on the anatomy a lot. Tried to fix up the tail as well as add a little fin that I was missing. Hopefully that helps the perspective a bit, too, because the tail is driving me crazy to get the right perspective in that area. My teammates also asked for the mouth to be open, but... I dunno, I'm a little iffy on that.

I also don't know how I feel about the eye. I tried one with a pupil, and it just looked really cartoony, and not intimidating at all.

8bnSB.gif

I see what you mean about the line weight in his examples. I've seen his stuff before, and he's verrrrryy good. I don't know how to get that kind of crazy, dynamic shading, though, when I'm restricted to one color for the outline.

Oh, and here's my original sketch, just for reference as to where I want to put other elements.

5iTOg.jpg

Until I saw the handdrawn sketch I was going to comment that the logo lacked any Quidditch reference. Adding the snitch is very useful, but perhaps also adding another reference point like the HP font for the SB or even putting a typical Hogwarts sash/scarf on the shark or as a banner for "Santa Barbara" would be useful.

Definitely use the snitch! For the eye, I think it looks fine without a pupil and I like the way the mouth looks right now. It's reminded me of when Harry fought the snitch in his mouth.

I'm huge Quidditch fan! I've been to 2 Quidditch world cups, and I'm going this years, hope to see you and the Blacktips there!

I have no idea what I did this for, but I found it buried in my image bank. It's definitely quite a few years old. In a strange coincidence, it's also in your color scheme, as if it were meant to be. Anyway, it illustrates pretty well how you can use thick, gestural and deliberate linework in combination with large areas of shadow to create a compelling form, good balance and a robust visual presence.

shark.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I have no idea what I did this for, but I found it buried in my image bank. It's definitely quite a few years old. In a strange coincidence, it's also in your color scheme, as if it were meant to be. Anyway, it illustrates pretty well how you can use thick, gestural and deliberate linework in combination with large areas of shadow to create a compelling form, good balance and a robust visual presence.

shark.png

Oh my, that is gorgeous. It's a perfect example of a great logo, it should be great inspiration for the OP.

I also really think the snitch would be a nice addition to the concept.

shark.png

Oh my, that is gorgeous. It's a perfect example of a great logo, it should be great inspiration for the OP.

I also really think the snitch would be a nice addition to the concept.

Thanks. If I remember correctly, someone sent me a pencil sketch asking for pointers on how to turn their drawing of a shark into a good logo, and I think I made this to illustrate how certain techniques can be used to create simple, bold forms that translate well to sports logos.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

HUGE Potter fan here who has danced around the idea of doing a full England and Ireland Quidditch League Series for a couple years. Great to see some Quidditch on the boards!

Specifically, I'd think you should thicken up the lines and definitely add some good ol Potter references. I love the idea of a scarf. I think the best Potter kind of reference would to make the shark almost like a house by creating a crest. The recent Pottermore crests are a perfect example of this from the Pottermore Insider:

Hufflepuff+sketch+copy.jpg

Hufflepuff%2Bcolour.jpg

Also, two crossed broomsticks are always a solid idea.

hufflepuff-quidditch-athletic.gif

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

HUGE Potter fan here who has danced around the idea of doing a full England and Ireland Quidditch League Series for a couple years. Great to see some Quidditch on the boards!

Specifically, I'd think you should thicken up the lines and definitely add some good ol Potter references. I love the idea of a scarf. I think the best Potter kind of reference would to make the shark almost like a house by creating a crest. The recent Pottermore crests are a perfect example of this from the Pottermore Insider:

Hufflepuff%2Bcolour.jpg

Very nice. Remember though that Hufflepuff is probably the crappiest of the four houses--other than Cedric Diggory, no one else from that house was a big deal...

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Hufflepuff%2Bcolour.jpg

Very nice. Remember though that Hufflepuff is probably the crappiest of the four houses--other than Cedric Diggory, no one else from that house was a big deal...

Tonks!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice! I was going to try to reply to multiple posts in one, but I couldn't figure out how.

Here's the progress I've made so far. I haven't taken anyone's advice after my last post into account, but I plan on working on it a lot more.

iV2Te.gif

The problem I'm currently having is adding shadows while still showing that the fins definitely have black tips. Also, I'm having a hard time with shadows on the shark's back. I can't find a good ref photo for that. Any advice?

In response to people's posts-

WideRight: I'm going to also do an alternate logo, with a broom in the shark's mouth. I think I'll used a heavily modified version of the HP font based on your suggestion!

Philsphan: Our captain said the same thing about catching the snitch in his mouth! Also, if you don't mind sharing, what team do you play for?

andrewharrington: Those logos are great! The coloration is actually a huge help for my final design. I was trying to think how it'd be possible to add the purple in.

DeFrank: I was planning on doing a crest! Does this logo look like it could on a crest? I don't want it to look tacked on. Also, I respect the 'Puffs, though I'm a Slytherin :)

Loving the respect for the Puff guys.

I do think a crest can work. It'd be fine if the shark left the shape somewhat, but think about how the Hufflepuff crest fits with the house traits. With the Badger. It's an earthy shape, it's industrial, as Hufflepuff is associated with hard work. Slytherin has liquid throughout, Gryffindor has a fiery and bold sense. Ravenclaw is the most open, it expands, feels unconstrained.

tumblr_ltqzi4UnM31qdn10zo1_r2_500.png

How would the shark, the team, create it's identity?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

I do think a crest can work. It'd be fine if the shark left the shape somewhat, but think about how the Hufflepuff crest fits with the house traits. With the Badger. It's an earthy shape, it's industrial, as Hufflepuff is associated with hard work. Slytherin has liquid throughout, Gryffindor has a fiery and bold sense. Ravenclaw is the most open, it expands, feels unconstrained.

Great points, I hadn't even thought of that! I'll have to discuss it with my team, and figure out how we want to be seen. I'm assuming they'll say something like "intimidating" and maybe "not terrible" :P

In any case, the crest will come after I've vectored in everything I originally planned to have: the shark, the initials, the snitch, and the alt logo with the broom in the shark's mouth.

Edit: Vectored the Snitch~

JNmNI.gif

Archived