Baseball in Montreal

rvrdgsfn

Also, an organization as smart and well-run as the Rays deserve a better stadium and fanbase than they have in Tampa. Even with how :censored:ty the Trop is, the lack of attendance in Tampa for a yearly title contender is appalling. There's no excuse: the stench of the Naimoli era has LONG since worn off, and while I've heard transportation is garbage in Tampa, people still go to Fenway despite the trip being hellish as you get into Boston.

true enough. Tampa Bay is plum out of excuses; if they really don't want the Rays than maybe Montreal does.

One thing that could go in Montreal's favor if not now but in the future is that I bet MLB would let them start at Stade Olympique if shovels are in the ground for new digs, a la RFK and the Nationals.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

One thing that could go in Montreal's favor if not now but in the future is that I bet MLB would let them start at Stade Olympique if shovels are in the ground for new digs, a la RFK and the Nationals.

Yeah but the key factor is having a reason for getting shovels into the ground. Otherwise the temporary stadium means nothing.

The province just went through a knock-down-drag-out fight to get the new Amphithéâtre started in Quebec City. There's no way they're spending money on another sports arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, an organization as smart and well-run as the Rays deserve a better stadium and fanbase than they have in Tampa. Even with how :censored:ty the Trop is, the lack of attendance in Tampa for a yearly title contender is appalling. There's no excuse: the stench of the Naimoli era has LONG since worn off, and while I've heard transportation is garbage in Tampa, people still go to Fenway despite the trip being hellish as you get into Boston.

true enough. Tampa Bay is plum out of excuses; if they really don't want the Rays than maybe Montreal does.

I think the Rays are proving beyond any doubt that baseball at least in the Trop cannot work long term. This is a young winning with known players and they are dead last in the AL in attendance. If a team can't draw with that, they won't be able to draw with anything.

Like I said earlier I think the situation down there is going to start getting ugly because the city of St. Pete seems to have every intention of enforcing the full 15 years remaining of that lease, and every owner in baseball including the Rays ownership are going to say there's no way that can happen. I don't know what the outcome will be other then the Rays will not be playing in Tropicana Field come 2027.

Archived