Baseball in Montreal

rvrdgsfn

I was reading on Our Sports Central mentioning a potential ownership group that wants to bring baseball to Montreal, I honestly thought it was just another rumor then I came across this. A group lead by former Expo Warren Cromarite

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/08/31/cormack_montreal_expos_potential_new_team/

The 58-year-old Cromartie said he spent most of the past summer in Montreal meeting with business leaders. His group now stands at 12, two of whom he said are potential part-owners. The obstacles facing the Cromartie-led group are large both in quantity and dollars, with perhaps no bigger logistical hurdle facing them than the lack of a stadium.

On that front, Cromartie conceded any new facility must be built in downtown Montreal. He claims to have visited at least potential downtown sites.

"We're quietly trying to do things behind the scenes," he said. "I know this is an ambitious journey. It is a journey, but I feel confident we have a pulse on the city. The real key is putting the right group together."

I don't know about this, sure it would be nice to see the Expos back but at the same time, I just don't see it happening.

baltimoreravens.png

In addition to that small detail (lack of plan for stadium), there's also the issue of actually acquiring a team and being free to move it there. So, yeah... I'd say that this is a 15-20 year plan.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate to say it but Montreal was never a good baseball market even at its best.

That being said though, it was passable as a Major League market and had another owner besides Jeffrey Loria owned the club, they probably would still be there.

At the very least I would say I would prefer a team in Montreal over one in Tampa Bay. I think the lease situation down there is going to start getting ugly soon. Don't know what the outcome of that will be but it may be Montreal's best chance of getting a team in the near future. I do know the Rays can't play another 15 years at the Trop.

My own suggestion for a stadium would be renovating Olympic Stadium. The infrastructure is already there, as is the structure of what could be a major league stadium. You would need to completely redesign the interior, which would be as much if not more expensive then building a new stadium. But as it is with Olympic Stadium now, it could be argued that its actually more cost effective to let the stadium rot then it is to tear it down because of how interconnected it is to the subway. From the city's prospective that may be the best option.

I'm not anticipating Montreal getting a team anytime soon, but 5-10 years situation may be a little different.

I'd like to see it. I think the original Expos were ripped away from the fans in Montreal by a terrible owner (Loria), a terrible dollar (60 cents) and a terrible stadium for baseball (Olympic).

It'd involve someone stepping up bigtime to fund a serious chunk of the new stadium, and to help pay for the team they'd be buying and moving, which seems unlikely but not impossible. Maybe Quebecor would be interested in having a Major League Baseball team to go along with their future National Hockey League team, which could make for one hell of a TV sports channel.

As far as which team they'd get, the answer would have to be one of two: Oakland or Tampa Bay. Oakland at least seems to be having options as far as a new stadium, though; Tampa is more or less screwed. It'd be interesting, too, to see Montreal and Toronto in the same division.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'd like to see it. I think the original Expos were ripped away from the fans in Montreal by a terrible owner (Loria), a terrible dollar (60 cents) and a terrible stadium for baseball (Olympic).

I agree that losing the Expos sucked, but building a new stadium is the way you keep a team in town. Montreal made its choice.

Until this group can put that stadium plan together, it's just a pipe dream.

I hate to say it but Montreal was never a good baseball market even at its best.

That being said though, it was passable as a Major League market and had another owner besides Jeffrey Loria owned the club, they probably would still be there.

At the very least I would say I would prefer a team in Montreal over one in Tampa Bay. I think the lease situation down there is going to start getting ugly soon. Don't know what the outcome of that will be but it may be Montreal's best chance of getting a team in the near future. I do know the Rays can't play another 15 years at the Trop.

My own suggestion for a stadium would be renovating Olympic Stadium. The infrastructure is already there, as is the structure of what could be a major league stadium. You would need to completely redesign the interior, which would be as much if not more expensive then building a new stadium. But as it is with Olympic Stadium now, it could be argued that its actually more cost effective to let the stadium rot then it is to tear it down because of how interconnected it is to the subway. From the city's prospective that may be the best option.

I'm not anticipating Montreal getting a team anytime soon, but 5-10 years situation may be a little different.

IIRC, part of the attendance problem was because the stadium was in a bad location. I think if that's the case, a new stadium would be better.

IIRC, part of the attendance problem was because the stadium was in a bad location. I think if that's the case, a new stadium would be better.

From the team's perspective they would prefer a downtown stadium without question. From the city of Montreal's perspective though it could present a solultion for what to do with the Big Owe, which there is currently none. Too big for any minor league tenant, too outdated for any big league tenant, and very expensive to destroy.

Its just something I'm throwing out there as possibility if a team were to come to Montreal. In terms of costs associated with this project versus others, I have no idea so I can't really defend this idea too much. Just using more as a something to think about point then anything else.

MLB and the now-dead separatism movement killed baseball there and there's no reviving it. I hope they're happy with themselves.

Actually, Parti Québécois has a very good shot of winning the Québec election today.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I, as a longtime Expos fan, have waited for this moment for 8 years. It won't happen in the immediate future, I have to admit, but the interest in baseball is still there. For baseball to come to Montreal, yes, you do need a great stadium. Something Jeffrey Loria failed to provide, the fat b@$tard. I don't see Olympic Stadium being used for baseball anymore, unless they completely renovate it, which they will never do.

Getting back to the interest in baseball in Quebec, the fan base is still there, and you, of course, have the recent success of the Quebec Capitales, who begin their quest for a 4th-straight Can-Am League title tomorrow (which they will win), and possibly another team in the province, in the same league on the way. There's no stopping the ownership group pursuing a team in Montreal, as long as the pursuit may be.

I hope that Montreal goes in as an expansion team, but if there was a team that needed to be relocated there, my guess would be Oakland. I hate to see the Rays leave Tampa Bay, being I've been to a Rays' game myself. This group has my continuous support.

I, as a longtime Expos fan, have waited for this moment for 8 years

You've waited 8 years for basically nothing?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A true fan would want his team to stay where they are. You don't care about your fellow Rays fans? You don't care about growing the team's popularity and seeing more people become fans? You don't care about the memories that have been made while in Tampa?

MLB and the now-dead separatism movement killed baseball there and there's no reviving it. I hope they're happy with themselves.

Actually, Parti Québécois has a very good shot of winning the Québec election today.

They won a minority government.

Though I recently saw a poll that stated support for separatism is down to 28%.

So apparently Québécois are in favour of the PQ running the province so long as it remains in Canada....which makes more sense then one would think.

I don't live anywhere near Tampa, but I could realistically go to a couple games in Montreal, so the Rays moving makes sense for me. I went to an Expos game when they were still around, after all.

Also, an organization as smart and well-run as the Rays deserve a better stadium and fanbase than they have in Tampa. Even with how :censored:ty the Trop is, the lack of attendance in Tampa for a yearly title contender is appalling. There's no excuse: the stench of the Naimoli era has LONG since worn off, and while I've heard transportation is garbage in Tampa, people still go to Fenway despite the trip being hellish as you get into Boston.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They won a minority government.

Though I recently saw a poll that stated support for separatism is down to 28%.

So apparently Québécois are in favour of the PQ running the province so long as it remains in Canada....which makes more sense then one would think.

That and the whole idea of voting for the Liberal Party because it's just what you do has really waned; note the rise of the NDP. But hey, maybe third time's a charm, right?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would love to see the Expos come back. Hopefully not at the expense of the Rays though. As a Rays fan I would be incredibly saddened to see my hometown team up and leave, but we'll have to wait and see. I hope MLB baseball sticks around for a long time here though.

niagaraq.png

I hope the Rays move to Montreal. It makes sense for MLB- no need to worry about realignment and creates a natural rivalry with Toronto that can be played more than just four games per season.

As for the A's... send them to Vancouver :P (Wishful thinking)

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Archived