Oregon, the NCAA and Nike

Kevin W.

Yesterday it was announced that Oregon would start random drug testing of its athletes and I recall one commenter somewhere saying that Oregon was doing it to try to head off more severe NCAA sanctions that may be coming due to the Willie Lyles situation. I don't know if he was joking or serious, but it got me thinking.

If the NCAA does end up sanctioning Oregon in a way that harms the program (probation, bowl ban, what have you) what does Nike do? Would they continue to use Oregon as a testbed and a display case even with the reduced exposure that would come with a program in trouble with the NCAA? It's not as if Phil Knight would suddenly stop pouring money into his alma mater (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course) but would they go elsewhere for their primary "guinea pig?"

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yesterday it was announced that Oregon would start random drug testing of its athletes and I recall one commenter somewhere saying that Oregon was doing it to try to head off more severe NCAA sanctions that may be coming due to the Willie Lyles situation. I don't know if he was joking or serious, but it got me thinking.

If the NCAA does end up sanctioning Oregon in a way that harms the program (probation, bowl ban, what have you) what does Nike do? Would they continue to use Oregon as a testbed and a display case even with the reduced exposure that would come with a program in trouble with the NCAA? It's not as if Phil Knight would suddenly stop pouring money into his alma mater (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course) but would they go elsewhere for their primary "guinea pig?"

They are still standing by Lance Armstrong and stood by Paterno as long as anyone reasonably could (and then maybe even a bit longer).

They are still standing by Lance Armstrong and stood by Paterno as long as anyone reasonably could (and then maybe even a bit longer).

Exactly. I think Nike will stick with them 'till the end. Or at least as long as Phil is running the place.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

There are two separate issue: Phil Knight's wealth and Nike's involvement with the program

Any sanctions will not impact Knight's contribution to athletics or the university as a whole.

Since there no longer are "TV bans", there is no reason for Nike not to continue business as usual.

I don't think it will be an issue. Probation is not the penalty it used to be. USC is now off probation and is stronger than they were when they were hit with the sanctions. I see the same thing happening to Ohio State. Maybe Oregon's lack of history compared to those schools could affect that, but I wouldn't think so.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived