Nike NFL fan jersey anecdotes

Crash

I know my experience can't be universal. I want to hear what you all think and how the jerseys fit you, etc.

I finally got down to the mall and tried on a Nike jersey. I tried on both the limited and game styles in both L and XL. Both were San Francisco jerseys, as I estimated those would be closest in construction to the Buccaneers.

Caveat: I am 5'11. I am not an overly athletic person. My gut is slightly larger than my chest. If I am asked to choose a category for body type, it's "average." Not fat, not muscular, not huge, not small, etc.

They fit me terribly. The very specific cut seems to be only meant for highly athletic men or those wearing shoulder pads to the neighborhood bar. The sleeves are connected to the body at a very low point, making the armpit area fit very strangely. Despite falling several inches below my waist with my arms at my sides, lifting my arms caused a 6 inch travel for the bottom hem, meaning that it fell lower than I liked with my arms down and much higher than I liked with my arms up. Other than the lack of mesh, the material felt much like that of the Reebok jerseys I own. The "silicon printing" was likewise much the same in appearance and feel to the screen printing on the Reebok replicas, though the "highly flexible twill" was noticeably thinner and less stiff than on my authentics.

Overall, it just seemed to be designed absolutely to be skin-tight, meant to move as it stretches, not as a normal shirt. Perhaps I was meant to fit into a medium, by Nike's estimation, though I've not worn a medium shirt of any type since I was 13, and the large was barely long enough as it was.

I ordered a Reebok authentic "dress" when I got home, as they fit like a shirt, which, frankly, is what I'm using my jerseys as. I'm not playing (competitive) football in these things. I'm eating wings and drinking beer and throwing my arms up in celebration and distress on game days.

My advice is to try them on before you buy, even if you usually order yours online. I'm sure they fit some people better than the Reeboks ever did. But I would have never worn mine if I'd ordered one and it fit like the ones at the store. Bullet dodged.

I tried on a few different sized bengals jerseys at the team store last week and I was unsatisfied on many levels. First, the Bengals's black and orange jerseys don't look like the jerseys the players are wearing on the field. In the past, the replicas and game jerseys weren't exact matches, but you could see a resemblance.

This is the replica

22-21928-Y.jpg

This is the real thing

5046d3b4aed26.preview-300.jpg

the white side panels are HUGE on the replicas and it extends not into the armpit, as it's supposed to, but instead out farther past the armpit.

Second, I exercise, I run 4 days a week, I play hockey every sunday. I'm active and I'm not fat by any means. I could not find a jersey that felt like it fit naturally. In Cincinnati as in other cold weather places, you have to buy jerseys slightly bigger if you plan to wear it over a jacket or sweatshirt in the colder half of the season. The large felt too big without my jacket, and too small with a tighter fitting jacket on.

Third, the replica's material didn't feel good nor did it feel like I was wearing a football jersey. The numbers felt cheap and like they'd wear off after a few washes

Fourth, $100.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm heading to the store tonight to try on the Game jersey, and hopefully the Limited if they have them. I've worn Mediums my whole life, but from what I've heard so far, that really doesn't mean anything with these new jerseys. I'll report back after I check them out.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I own a Bears elite jersey and it took some time getting used to. I'm between a medium/large depending on the style, but my elite jersey is a medium. When I got it, the jersey was a little stiff and obvoiusly fits different than any other jersey, but after I got used to it, it was fine. The thing with the elite jersey is the shoulders since it's mean to have shoulder pads.

I tried on a few different sized bengals jerseys at the team store last week and I was unsatisfied on many levels. First, the Bengals's black and orange jerseys don't look like the jerseys the players are wearing on the field. In the past, the replicas and game jerseys weren't exact matches, but you could see a resemblance.

This is the replica

22-21928-Y.jpg

This is the real thing

5046d3b4aed26.preview-300.jpg

the white side panels are HUGE on the replicas and it extends not into the armpit, as it's supposed to, but instead out farther past the armpit.

Second, I exercise, I run 4 days a week, I play hockey every sunday. I'm active and I'm not fat by any means. I could not find a jersey that felt like it fit naturally. In Cincinnati as in other cold weather places, you have to buy jerseys slightly bigger if you plan to wear it over a jacket or sweatshirt in the colder half of the season. The large felt too big without my jacket, and too small with a tighter fitting jacket on.

Third, the replica's material didn't feel good nor did it feel like I was wearing a football jersey. The numbers felt cheap and like they'd wear off after a few washes

Fourth, $100.

I feel as if the new jersey are more like cloth that goes over the pads, instead of actual jerseys. They're pretty awkward and kinda ugly imo.

Well, last night I got to try on one of the Game jerseys. They didn't have any Limited in stock unfortunately, but I actually liked the one I tried on. I grabbed a Medium at first, and it fit well, it just seemed too long for my tastes, so I tried a Small (I have never in my life worn an adult small in anything) and it was just right. Keep in mind I'm also 5'7", 165lbs. No big difference between the two sizes other than the length, and the shoulders/sleeves were slightly tighter, which was expected. But overall, I definitely like these better than the Reebok jerseys. I was never a fan of the baggy, loose look they provided.

Game, limited, elite is the hierarchy right? I only see "game" at the local stores and if I had to describe them in one word it would be 'rubbery'.

Yep, that's right. I'm checking Dick's Sporting Goods tomorrow to see if they have the Limited so I can at least see it in person, but if they don't I'll be fine just getting the Game jersey.

I passed on getting a Patriots jersey when I was in Boston, and I was planning to order one online, but I'm not sure what size I should get. I haven't seen the new Nike jerseys at any of the stores in Canada yet, so now I'm going have to go down to Buffalo to try on jerseys. :cursing:

At least I can go to Olive Garden while I'm there to make the trip worthwhile :P

Archived