1985 Patriots in the Super Bowl

Blue Falcon

As most of you know, the "home team" in the Super Bowl rotates every year between the NFC and AFC. The "home team" gets it pick of what jersey it is going to wear. However, the NFL used to have a rule that the "home team" had to wear their dark jerseys, even if they didn't wear them at home that year...which is why the Cowboys got stuck wearing their "bad luck" blue jerseys in Super Bowl V in 1970. Apparently the NFL changed the rule sometime after that due to the Cowboys' complaints.\

Fast forward to the 1985 season. The New England Patriots wore their white jersey/red pants combo for all their home games that season, and were the designated home team in the Super Bowl...so why did they elect to wear their red jersey/white pants combo instead?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Why did the Bears wear blue tops/white pants for the Super Bowl Shuffle video and white tops/blue pants in the Super Bowl? Why can't toast become bread again?

1. Da Bears had no choice...the Patriots were the "home team" in the Super Bowl and got to choose their uniforms. The Super Bowl Shuffled was recorded several months earlier...how's that for chutzpah?

2. I'd like to know the answer to that too, but I prefer English Muffins.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

They wore the red jersey and white pants in Miami against the heavily favored Dolphins in the AFC championship game. They probably decided to use the same combo in the hopes that it would work again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

They wore the red jersey and white pants in Miami against the heavily favored Dolphins in the AFC championship game. They probably decided to use the same combo in the hopes that it would work again.

tumblr_m3bpydbjvc1qlar22o1_1280.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Why did the Bears wear blue tops/white pants for the Super Bowl Shuffle video and white tops/blue pants in the Super Bowl? Why can't toast become bread again?

1. Da Bears had no choice...the Patriots were the "home team" in the Super Bowl and got to choose their uniforms. The Super Bowl Shuffled was recorded several months earlier...how's that for chutzpah?

2. I'd like to know the answer to that too, but I prefer English Muffins.

1b. The Bears still knew the NFC was the designated road team during the recording. Unless they were banking on the Fins making it back. Boy do I hate the Pats for beating them. A bears/fins rematch would have been epic.

Archived