MLB Redesign

Brave-Bird 08

Hey folks. I've had some time to dip into getting some work done on more MLB designs. I'm reposting so I can run all of the concepts through links on the original post so it's more navigable (I think my Braves concept went an entire page with a few updates, so things got a little crowded in there). So, anyway, here you go!

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Washington Nationals

New York Mets

Atlanta Braves

- The point of this concept was to utilize the old feather, rather than the tomahawk, as the centerpiece of the identity. The Braves current identity is probably one of the best in baseball, especially after the 90s. But, for the sake of conceptualizing a uniform, I ditched their latest alternate logo and the tomahawk from the shirts. The home and road keep the traditional look in tact, but notice the feather on both sleeves. This would be seen as pretty different for a modern uniform, which usually features straight piping or sleeve patches. The alternate cap is even more revolutionary, but appears as an indian head dress, so hopefully it fits. The blue shirt now has red numbers, rather than that lame Rays knock off look they have in real life (I think those shirts suck). The navy alternate can be worn for home and road games. For Sunday, the alternate is an ode to the Hank Aaron era uniforms. The cap is a modernization, just like the other alternate, and the wordmark and numbers are the same, but double stroked.

Braves1_zpsbab8e492.png

Braves2_zps711a7c8f.png

Washington Nationals

- I'm not a fan of the current 'W' logo, as it looks too much like the Walgreens emblem. I do, also, like the idea of branding Washington as 'DC' to differentiate from Washington state, so having DC on every uniform is the idea, which was the original concept used by the team when it began play in Washington. I switched to the 'Nationals' script for the home shirt. The home cap is white on the front, much like the Expos, but also is white with the intention of reflecting the plethora of marble-white buildings in Washington D.C. The alternates have more of a patriotic, American flag vibe with popping sleeve piping. Also, the shirt numbers on the alternates are white, again, to reflect the appearance of the city. The alternate shirts can both be worn at home, or the road.

Nats1_zpsf4bca446.png

Nats2_zpsb1c46e64.png

New York Mets

- I don't know where this 'New York' script came from, but I love it, so I used it here on the road shirts. The cap now has an orange bill for home, road and alternate. Instead of having a sleeve patch with 'Mets' on it, which is repetitive when it's also on the front, I used the cap insignia on the sleeves. The road alternate has orange script, rather than the grey used in the current one. As far as the home alternate goes, I think I'm in the minority of people who love the orange-blue-black identity for New York teams. The color combination creates a night-time vibe, along with the bright colors, that really offers up a night life feel. The color scheme almost reminds me of Times Square at night. I wanted to keep the all-black alternate, even though many are opposed to it. I just think it screams New York.

Mets1_zps61f5968a.png

Mets2_zpsb89a5cd3.png

That's the perfect update for the Mets as for the Nationals I song mind the pretzel W cause they're paying homage to the Senators and I do love your version of the home uniform IM not a fan of the piping with just the Hat logo unless you're the Yankees and as for the Braves I love it it nice and simple plus I think if time for new look for the Bravos!!

Braves: As before, love the return of the feathers.

Nats: Love the "Nationals" script on the home, as well as the tri-color hat. The hat just works for the Nationals, and like you said it honors the Expos. The alts look nice; my only suggestion would be to flip the DC and the number.

Mets: The double piping looks great, and thank you for bringing out that "New York" script. I'm personally not huge on the black alt, but I guess it's better than their current two white jerseys. My one complaint is the NY on the sleeves. If you don't want the repetition of the "Mets" in the skyline logo, how about Mr. Met on the sleeves?

My thoughts-

Braves- Nice. Love the feathers, the throwback alt is super classy as well.

Nationals- My favorite of the bunch. Just a fantastic overall job here, and even though I don't hate the W logo, I love the use of the DC mark. Great job.

Mets- Ok, as a Mets fan I'm going to pick at this one a little more. I have never liked that New York script. While kind of generic, the current road script looks really good IMO and I would keep that around, at least for the primary road jersey. Yours would look decent on the alternate though. Your caps are great, a nice job there. On the use of black, I know I speak for most Met fans when I say I really hate the use of black. However, I hadn't taken your line of thinking with the skyline and whatnot, and I think the black is fine for an alt jersey as long as it is NEVER incorporated into any other jersey.

Also, I'm with mbannon in that the NY doesn't work on the sleeve. I think it's redundant with the hat and looks as if it belongs on a cap instead of the jersey. I think Mr. Met would be too kitschy though, so my suggestion would be to use the primary Mets logo with the Mets script removed. I have seen this in Mets graphics, particularly their 2013 All-Star Game logo, and this looks good while removing the problem of redundancy with the front of the jersey.

Hope this helps!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Here are more thoughts:

Braves-Without the tomahawk across the chest the first three uniforms look too plain. Also, I'd use only one blue. The first three use today's navy blue while the alternate uses regular blue. For consistency's sake I suggest picking one or the other.

Nationals-If you want to capitalize on a Patriotic theme I'd suggest you switch all the navy with something more resembling the blue on the American flag.

Mets-I recommend switching the two alternates. Make the blue the home alternate (have it say "Mets" in front) and make the black the road alternate (with "New York" in front). That way you wear blue in front of your home fans while the black road alts would be a big seller. Also just go with a solid black hat with more orange trim in the logo for the alternate hat.

• 2 months later...

Archived