If every NFL team had a black or gray Alt

With the news that the NFL may lax it's uniform rules a bit to allow more use of third unis and even a possible fourth, I figure many teams may get in on the BFBS or GFGS trend, because, well, Nike is their outfitter right now. Here is a look at how every team would look with their current templates in a black or gray color. I tried to keep to the actual helmets, as I have no idea if a second helmet would be allowed under the new rules or not, but in some designs changes were inevitable to pull the look together.

I will present the concept in black or gray (whichever I thought fit the team's scheme better) and then weigh in with a verdict on whether or not the look should ever see the light of day. If you think a scheme would work better with black than gray or vice versa, let me know and I will mock it up for you real quick.

First up is the Chiefs:

jroU8Zj.jpg

Verdict: If they could go with a black helmet and a red logo, I could see this on an NFL field. The Chiefs do not have an alternate and this could definitely be trotted out for prime time match-ups to get the fan base excited. I personally think this one is one of the better BFBS, as it goes incredibly well with the color scheme.

The Raiders will be up in an hour or so, and maybe I will get the Broncos up before the night is done too.

What do you think?

Looks more Boise State Broncos than Denver. But, that said, within the framework of this concept it is well done.

I just hate this concept. It is part of my hatred of Nike's entire mindset about branding, diluting every brand by adding unnecessary black, grey, chrome, highlighter yellow, whatever, and endless alternates.

I like teams to have a home, an away, and maybe a throwback 1 time a year. There are only 16 games in the NFL and only 12 in college. Wearing the same uniform every week is a good thing, not a bad thing.

So says the old guy. And hey, you punk kids, get off my lawn!!!

I'm down with this idea. Personally I think you should keep going.

The Chiefs actually look pretty cool.

The Raiders don't need a Black alternate at all. Aren't they already black enough?

The Broncos look good in grey to me. It may just need a little more orange or white to make it more vibrant.

Raiders look awesome with black pants. Obviously certain teams (Ravens, Panthers) already use a lot of black already, so they'll probably look more like tweaks than full blown concepts. But still, nice thread overall.

Side note - I would LOVE to see what you can do by injecting some gunmetal into the Rams' uniforms. Not sure black works well with their deep navy, but a predominantly gray outfit with navy and gold highlights could be killer.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Thanks for the feedback guys! Nascar I will probably go back and do the gray versions of the blackout teams and vice versa when everything is finished.

Up next, the San Diego Super Chargers:

5koc84H.jpg

Verdict: I don't love them, but I don't hate them. The problem is, they really are no better looking than anything they have worn in their history. I say no go.

Here are the Colts kicking off the AFC South:

eZPThOa.jpg

Verdict: As you can see, this one is a bit different. No matter what I tried, black/gray would not fit with Indy. It just would not. So I whited them out and replaced the blue with black for this uniform, and I love it. It is so simple, but do clean and true to Indy's identity. Up next is the Jags.

Here are the Colts kicking off the AFC South:

eZPThOa.jpg

Verdict: As you can see, this one is a bit different. No matter what I tried, black/gray would not fit with Indy. It just would not. So I whited them out and replaced the blue with black for this uniform, and I love it. It is so simple, but do clean and true to Indy's identity. Up next is the Jags.

Those perfectly straight pants stripes are very distracting. You should try to follow the contours of the pants better.

There was a Web Page that gave the jets a black jersey when Nike announced their take over (might have been bleacherreport?) Looks More like lime green than kelley green though. Absolutely love the Pittsburgh unis too

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived