Rebranding exercise - giving local football/soccer teams a more professional look

deanjrobinson

I recently started a series of logo redesigns, purely for fun, of local football/soccer teams. I've been posing them on dribbble but thought they'd be worth sharing over here too.

Hamiton Olympic - very heavily based on Olympique de Marseille's current logo.

hamilton-olympic.png

Actual logo:

Olympic_Logo.png

Weston Workers Bears - bear was drawn from scratch, pretty happy with how it turned out.

weston-bears.png

Actual logo:

bear4.png

South Cardiff Gunners - used a combination of the current Arsenal cannon and the hexagonal shape used by Arsenal on FA Cup Final shirts during the 30s and 50s.

south-cardiff-gunners-2.png

Actual logo:

p.jpg

Lambton Jaffas - Ditched the ManU style logo of their current logo, and only kept, albeit in a modified form, the laurel wreath in the middle. Also went for a yellow that is less 'canary' than what they currently use.

lambton-jaffas.png

Actual logo:

2207549_1_M.jpg

Broadmeadow Magic - Style is based on the Juventus logo, tried to incorporate the Macedonian flag (club was originally founded as 'Newcastle Macedonia FC') although I think it maybe makes too busy, might have a second crack at this one later on.

broadmeadow-magic.png

Acutal logo:

p.jpg

I'd like to repeat the above and say that these are all massive upgrades.

Sorry to disappoint though... I think the Bear needs some work. The head isn't very bear-like, it looks more like a beaver minus the teeth to me. Did you use a reference image when drawing it?

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I'd like to repeat the above and say that these are all massive upgrades.

Sorry to disappoint though... I think the Bear needs some work. The head isn't very bear-like, it looks more like a beaver minus the teeth to me. Did you use a reference image when drawing it?

It looks like a ground hog other than that these are really good

It looks like a ground hog other than that these are really good

That's the animal I was trying to think of but couldn't! I had this in mind:

Oregon-State-logo-300x300.jpg

I think making the ears and snout (?) more obvious as separate entities from the rest of the head shape will help a lot.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Nice work, and I think they're all really good progressions from the current crests. Your influences are pretty obvious but to be fair where you've drawn inspiration from existing designs you've cited them.

Other than echoing what others have said about the bear maybe needing a little attention, the only one that looks a bit odd to me is the South Cardiff Gunners. I think the crest itself is fine, apart from the fact that unlike all the other key elements the cannon wheel is off centre – it just makes it look a tad unbalanced to me.

It goes without saying that the Lambton Jaffas are clearly the best named club in the world. ;)

Yeah, I'd fix the Gunners logo too. You could simply move the wheel to the centre of the shield and leave the rest as is. The end result might not be accurate to a real life cannon, but sometimes, slight inaccuracies like that are more aesthetically pleasing than accuracy.

8gEj9j7.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Broadmeadow Magic - Style is based on the Juventus logo, tried to incorporate the Macedonian flag (club was originally founded as 'Newcastle Macedonia FC') although I think it maybe makes too busy, might have a second crack at this one later on.

broadmeadow-magic.png

Only change I'd make would be to lose the darker-red "shadow" stripes; otherwise, it's fantastic.

Having recently gone through a lot of lower-level American/Canadian team sites while working on a new site, I agree that many, many clubs don't really take the time to consider their branding.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

No specific reference image (that could be the issue...) I never really intended to be perfectly realistic bear, but now that you've said it looks like a beaver I can't un-see it as a beaver. I'm going to have fix that or its going to bug me.

Your influences are pretty obvious but to be fair where you've drawn inspiration from existing designs you've cited them.

Yeah I'm definitely not hiding that I am drawing large pieces of inspiration from existing designs - mostly because I'm trying to whip through these quickly as its more about the design exercise rather than creating something no one has ever seen before.

...the only one that looks a bit odd to me is the South Cardiff Gunners. I think the crest itself is fine, apart from the fact that unlike all the other key elements the cannon wheel is off centre – it just makes it look a tad unbalanced to me.

I'll be honest I hadn't even really picked up that it was that unbalanced - will see how it looks if I centre the cannon wheel. Thanks.

Only change I'd make would be to lose the darker-red "shadow" stripes; otherwise, it's fantastic.

Fair enough, they probably are overkill on this one.

All of these are big improvements. Great job! I would agree that the cannon wheel could be centred. I also disagree that the Magic crest is too busy, I think it works quite well with the sunburst. That being said, the red stripes could be removed.

Archived