FWIW, Reebok Purchases CCM, KOHO, and JOFA

nitroseed

On a related point, from the story, it doesn't sound like reebok will rebrand any of the companies into just reebok, (if you get what I mean!) I also remember on the board that someone said nike owned one of the hockey brands. I was just wondering if anyone new a reason why neither company wants to use its globally known brand on its hockey gear??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I was just wondering if anyone new a reason why neither company wants to use its globally known brand on its hockey gear??

Well in this case, I'd guess it's because KOHO and CCM are relatively more trusted in the hockey world than Reebok. KOHO and CCM and pretty much synonymous with hockey, and I believe Reebok knows that rebranding them as "Reebok hockey" would hurt the brands' respective integrities.

And, actually, Nike does also make a line of swoosh-branded hockey gear, though I don't think it's as extensive as the Bauer lines.

I don't like this Reebok purchase, but what can ya do, eh? As much as I don't like Nike, it hasn't stopped me yet from buying Bauer-branded gear.

(And, jkr, while I own Bauer skates, lots of people I know swear by CCM skates. Granted, I actually wanted a pair of Mission Amp8 skates when I was shopping for mine, but they'd just come out and they didn't yet exist in a size 13 when I was looking... this was 1999, after all.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On a related point, from the story, it doesn't sound like reebok will rebrand any of the companies into just reebok, (if you get what I mean!) I also remember on the board that someone said nike owned one of the hockey brands. I was just wondering if anyone new a reason why neither company wants to use its globally known brand on its hockey gear??

Yea, I said that a few post ago. Yes, nike owns Bauer, but Nike is better than reebok

As for CCM skates I don't like them. I used a while ago have ccm tacts, and I hated them. I've used nothing but Bauer since.

I brought up the Reebok ownership angle about a month ago in some other post, I can't remember which one. Someone reposnded to it by saying CCM/KOHO will keep the brands on the jerseys and equipment, but now they have Reebok's marketing reach behind them.

Nike bought Bauer and Cooper about 10 or so years ago. The Cooper name was replaced with the Nike Swoosh, but Bauer products stayed as they were. I think Nike replaced Cooper in baseball as well.

I used to have a pair of Bauers, but I outgrew them. Now I have CCM, they might be Tacks.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Cooper's still around, I think. Nike compartmentalized the names when they bought Canstar--Bauer was strictly hockey, and Cooper was strictly Baseball. (There was some crossover, mostly by Cooper into hockey, before that.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Cooper made quite a bit of hockey equipment, helmets, pads, etc. I have a set of Cooper street hockey goalie leg pads (Eddie Belfour model). I do remember seeing the occasional Cooper baseball equipment, but I think Nike has phased it out with its own logo products.

Nike also makes go clubs, but from what I hear from a lot of people, they will be exiting the golf club market very soon. Their products are horrible...that's why Tiger Woods was switching back to Titleist.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Itech and cooper baseball are under the same umbrella... so u know what that means :blink:

as for skates up till recently I wore CCM Tacks for skates then I decided on a pair of Bauer Supreme 3000s for my new skates...felt great in store but really hurt when i skated in them, the reason ive discovered is that CCM makes the heel slightly elevated so the foot is on a bit of an angle... so i had lift put in the heels and I have loved them ever since...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived