Super League Hockey---- Millionaires and Governors

kevsim1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question Kev: Will you ever do a phase that includes alternates for each team or can one only hope?

You're a psychic aren't you? I even had a whole spiel typed up that I was going to release tomorrow as 1 more surprise announced by the league.

If you still wanted Pantone values for Washington

2915 (Hex Code 73b5e0) Light Blue

871 (Hex Code 8b784a) Gold

Philadelphi, but thatnks! Mya edit em a bit, and make the brown a bit more copper-y, btu good starting place. Thanks!

For the Inferno, I still think that the hydrant parts stick out like a sore thumb on an otherwise flat logo. If you make the pieces flat like the rest of the logo I feel like it would be one of the better ones in the league, but as is the two styles really clash.

Yup, I agree. Updates'll come

QuebecCitoyens_zps668b7351.png

Better?

And behold! Expansion team #8, the San Francisco Inferno!

SanFranciscoInferno_zps5c245b82.png

Changes to the Jacksonville Jerseys will come

Québec: Enlarging the snowman's face was a smart move and looks much better. But the line around the face is still too thin--don't just think about what a logo looks like shrunken down, but take into account how it could be stitched shrunken down. Embroidery is one of the most common ways of reproducing sports logos, and they can only make the thread so thin.

San Francisco: First off, a nice out-of-the-box idea for SF. "Inferno" has a good sound with "San Francisco". Also, most of the damage from the 1906 earthquake actually came from fires (broken gas mains, and also some people intentionally set their houses on fire because they had fire insurance but not earthquake insurance!). Took me a second to figure out that you were using the hydrant to make an I for Inferno. I'm not sure it's working, though. It actually looks like the hydrant is undernourished, if that makes sense. I'd make a full-sized fire hydrant and work an I into the linework. And you can ditch the ladders--between the hydrant and the crest shape, we get that it's about firefighters.

rATMcmK.png

Any other thoughts on the alts? f ARizona's Jerseys look like this, you should be scared to see what I have planned for their alt!ArizonaSpikes_zpsde14f4d2.png

What's working: I love the idea of this palette. It's really out-of-the-box, but it works for Arizona. We pair the three primary colours all the time, but people don't think that the three secondaries can work together as well.

Also, the general idea of the jerseys looks good. Again, out-of-the-box, but (and I hate to say it, but unlike some of your jersey ideas) it's relatively simple and sells the idea.

What can be improved: I like the *idea* of the palette, but there's not enough contrast. If this were in greyscale, it would just be a big medium-grey blob. Brighten the green and darken the purple.

Drop the "pinstriping" from the logos. I get that you are wanting to duplicate the ridges of a cactus, but it's not working in the logos. In the cactus, it would need to curve towards the top in a point to be realistic, but that would also create a nasty tension point at the top. Similarly, the vertical striping against all the diagonals in the A is jarring.

Why is the right "arm" of the cactus pointing downward? It's unrealistic and feels unmotivated.

You could also stand to drop the spikes off the cactus. It's creating a lot of tension and asymmetry, and isn't selling the idea of "spikes" in the way you might think it is. The spikes on the sleeves and on the A (minus the top one, it's pointless, pardon the pun) suffice.

Work on developing a wordmark. A wordmark is so much more than typing a name in a fancy font, though it may sometimes look like it. Font size, kerning, spacing between lines, all these must be taken into account. A wordmark should have the same sort of flow you look for in a logo.

----

This concept has great potential, you just need to give closer attention to the principles of design and edit some things down.

rATMcmK.png

Archived