Twenty five and still counting.......

Ez Street

TWENTY FIVE AND STILL COUNTING.

INLAND EMPIRE NEWEST ABA EXPANSION TEAM

Indianapolis, IN. Joe Newman, ABA Co-Founder, today announced that the professional basketball league has added its 25th expansion team for the 2004 season - Inland Empire, an area covering Riverside and San Bernadino counties in Southern California. According to Newman, "We have been working for quite sometime to put this particular team together - and I can't tell you how delighted we are to be adding them this season for a whole variety of reasons. I am hesitant "to scoop" a major press conference planned very shortly that will unveil much about this unique ownership group other than to say that it is extraordinary and should be one of the most successful operations in the league."

Newman added, "But I'll give a couple of highlights anyway. The market was awarded to Cascade Events, LLC, an Ontario CA church-based group headed by Senior Pastor Chuck Singleton of the Loveland Church and Oliver E. Binns, Executive Assistant to the Senior Pastor. They have put together a remarkable group of people (to be announced) and an extraordinary marketing plan that will bring the family-friendly, exciting and affordable ABA basketball to the area. Beyond that, I think we'll let them make the big splash."

This brings to 32 the number of teams scheduled to begin play in November. The Inland Empire will compete in the Southwest Division. For more information, log onto www.abalive.com or call Oliver E. Binns at 909 (241) 4586 or email OnTBinns@aol.com.

From the Q&A thing on the site:

Questions & Answers - June 21

Question: What are some of the target markets for the ABA in 2005 and beyond?

Answer: After answering the question about how many teams we envisioned in the ABA (80-100), we were besieged with inquiries as to specific additional teams that we believe could be great ABA markets. It would be difficult to mention all of them, but here are some examples. Rhode Island, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond VA, Columbia SC, Norfolk VA, Sarasota/Bradenton FL, Naples/Ft. Myers FL, Miami, Birmingham, El Paso TX, Houston, Phoenix, Tucson, Des Moines, St. Paul, Chicago, Toledo, Akron/Cleveland, Charleston WVA, Wisconsin, Indianapolis, Omaha, Wichita, Montreal, Toronto, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Long Island, Columbus O, Colorado Springs, Tampa Bay, Oakland CA, San Antonio, Larado TX, Encenada MX - the list is endless - and based on the responses we're getting, it does not seem too unlikely that these and other cities will happen. We are looking for ownership groups for these and other areas.

And we know what that means. Between eighty and a hundred logos that...go ahead, somebody. Fill in the rest!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Another Q&A thing.....More info on the 80-100 teams

Question: How many teams do you envision in the ABA?

Answer: We believe that within five years, we could have as many as 80-100 teams. There are certainly that many cities in the US, Mexico and Canada that could support an ABA team with the operating budget required and the attendance needed to be successful. Afterall, look at the NCAA and the hundreds of Division 1 &1 schools (and the other fine colleges and universities), all of whom attract large crowds at every game year after year. The key is providing a fast-paced, exciting professional game with familiar players, quality players. As Spencer Haywood of the Reno Rockers said, "With the ABA game format, Rockers' players must be athletic, have the right attitude and be in excellent running shape because the ABA game rules are about "speeding up the game and pressing from end to end - unlike the NBA players who walk the ball up the court and pickup the game at half court. We have a full court game." Bottom line - produce good basketball, cities will want the league. And that's what's happening.

I'll have to get me a team. :rolleyes:

"And we know what that means. Between eighty and a hundred logos that...go ahead, somebody. Fill in the rest!"

"B, B and S"

"I can't believe you humoured him."

"Neither can I."

Hey, it's my job. It's what i do.

"Oy, gevault!"

-Number Two (Robert Wagner) in every Austin Powers movie.

Please, stop. I cannot take that.

I wonder where they're thinking of putting a team in Wisconsin. I know they don't think they're coming here to go toe-to-toe with the Bucks. And between their family packs and Marquette & (especially) UWM's affordable ticket prices, there's enough "family-budget-friendly" hoops in this town as it is.

I hope they don't think Green Bay is a possibility. Unless it's the Packers, they want nothing to do with pro sports.

Madison might have been a possibility 5 years ago, but now with the UW hoops program at the level that it is, that'd be economical suicide.

The only other places I can think of are LaCrosse and Appleton. Their only competition in both would be D3 Hoops and both are the kinds of markets the ABA SHOULD be focusing on. But it's a moot point since I doubt the ABA will even be around to expand next year.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Archived