infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - Week Three

infrared41

The highs and lows of NFL week three. One truly great match-up, some really good ones, and one game that was a true disaster.

Best:

1. Indianapolis - San Francisco: In week one, GFB said: "My case for 49ers vs Packers over Colts vs. Raiders would be that the California sun made that game much more bright and saturated than the one played inside Lucas Oil. The picture you used doesn't really do it justice." I responded by saying that I normally don't take lighting, etc. into consideration for this list. Well, this week I did just that. Two perfect football uniforms on a perfect Sunday afternoon. This game may be the best uniform match-up we'll see this season. The pictures don't do it justice.

Colts_49ers_Football_138980_game.jpgColts_49ers_Football_138977_game.jpg

2. Buffalo - NY Jets: I'm not a big fan of dark colored pants but I gotta admit they really work with a few teams and Buffalo is one of those teams. The Bills are the perfect example of how to get an "update/modernization" exactly right. Even with the screwed up green, the Jets still have one of the top home looks in the NFL. The horrific play by both teams was a real disservice to these great uniforms.

Bills_Jets_Football_138935_game.jpg

3. NY Giants - Carolina: I know a lot of people think the Panthers look "dated" but I think their look has held up well over nearly 20 years. As long as the Panthers leave the black pants in the dumpster where they belong, all of their uni combos look good. With the Browns win over Minnesota, the Giants are this week's "if only they could play even half as good as they look" team. (Count me among those who can't wait to see the Giants wear the new white pants.)

Giants_Panthers_Football_138884_game.jpg

4. Cleveland - Minnesota: When it was unveiled, I didn't really care for the Vikings new look. Yesterday was the first time I got to see their new home uniforms in action. Suffice it to say that the publicity pictures for the unveiling didn't do this uniform justice. It looks damned good on the field. I still don't like the silly font for font's sake numbers, but other than that, this new Vikings look is a huge upgrade over their old clown suits. I really like the asymmetrical striping on the pants. The helmet finish works pretty well too. Throw in the Browns classic road unis and you got yourself a really good looking game.

Browns_Vikings_Football_138820_game.jpg

5. Detroit - Washington: Imagine how good this game would have looked if Detroit had never "updated" or added black to their old uniforms. The Lions are another team where their look is improving simply by attrition.

Lions_Redskins_Football__138731_game.jpg

Honorable Mention:

Kansas City - Philadelphia

Chicago - Pittsburgh

Worst:

1. Jacksonville - Seattle: You guys were right, you can't ignore the Jaguars helmet. Throw in that train wreck the Seahawks call a uniform and this game was as clear cut a choice for #1 on the worst list as Indy - SF was for #1 on the best list. Fix the helmet, get rid of the black pants, and I think the Jags would end up with a really nice looking modern uniform. I like Seattle's colors. I hate how "Nike-ified" the rest of the uniform is. This game was a real eyesore. Fortunately, it's the only game to make the worst list this week. Then again, after this disaster, almost anything else looks good by comparison.

Talk about the perfect picture to illustrate this train wreck.

Jaguars_Seahawks_Football_139012_game.jp

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in next week for another exciting (or infuriating) episode.

BB52Big.jpg

No love for Steelers vs Bears?

Gave them an honorable mention. I think the Bears dark blue pants make them look wimpy. This is how the Bears should look on the road - gray face mask optional. (The Falcons could learn a thing or two from that picture too.)

revie_sorey_1980_11_23.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived